• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A well deserved break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
So it goes to say that I'm in no way the biggest wallaby fan, nor am I a frequent poster on GAGR. I definitely lurk around a bit and enjoy Bruce's humour, Lee Grant's wisdom and Slim desperately defending any Brumbies player present and for the most part past.

In 2009, I could see the Wallabies were building and there was progress being made, in 2010 I was convinced we were heading places with wins in South Africa on the high veldt and in Hong Kong against the All Blacks. Even last year you could have been excused for thinking that the Wallabies could potentially bring Bill back home after winning the Tri-Nations with an outstanding performance in Brisbane.

But that's where it stopped. Without even meeting his KPI, Deans was reappointed as Wallabies coach for another two years. I cringed as we spluttered through the world cup with a shocking game plan that wasted the talent developed through the 'building' years. Focus was placed on the house of Deans, lead by none other than one of his Assistants that continues to fail with everything he touches other than himself. They cleaned house and appointed a new team, but nothing that looked promising especially with Deans still at the reigns.

Super Rugby then exposed what seemed to be the world cup hangover for Wallabies' players. Unfit, distracted and injured, the impacts were obvious on the Reds' and Waratahs' seasons. New players raised their hands, particularly from Canberra, but given previous selections you'd be optimistic in thinking they had a chance of making the 22, let alone the 30.

The June tests came and went with the usual formula. Lose to a minnow and somehow win the series against the NH team that are down on form. The same game plan and shit served on a plate, the only difference being an amazing story of when Berrick Barnes made it in the nick of time to play a test after the birth of his first son, Archie.

I don't think I have want to cover the last couple of weeks, enough has been said already. After last night's loss, Deans commented saying "It's not about me" and "I'm not thinking about my job". Everything points to the contrary, Robbie, and by right you fucking should be.

The tipping point has been reached, it's time for a well deserved break. I won't watch, I won't read and I won't listen until Deans is gone and there's passion and pride in a jersey that us Australian's hold so close.

T

Train Without a Station

I think it's rather mislead to believe that those players out their don't have passion in their jersey. Some might have more then others, but it's definitely present.

You are probably right but we don't seem to have a type of internal enforcer to enforce the team standards. How do you think Mark "mediocrity shits me" Loane would have reacted if Roger Gould was laughing with the All Blacks after a mistake riddled loss? It's probably unfair to question the passion of any of the players, but there aren't any that really exude passion like some of their predecessors, either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is passion relevant today?

Rugby is now a legitimate profession, with the vast majority of the practitioners of that profession having less than 10 years to set themselves up from their profession before they need to seek alternate employment outside their initial profession.

Engineering is a honorable and established profession. The blokes who tendered for but did not win the ANZAC Bridge contract can still be imporessed with the beauty of the selected design, and the skillfull project management of the construction team. Doesn't mean that they are not envious (passionate) of missing out on the contracts for that project.

Same with the Wobs.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I think it's rather mislead to believe that those players out their don't have passion in their jersey. Some might have more then others, but it's definitely present.
True, but across the board it pales in comparison to many countries, especially the Argentines.

Granted they were playing their first home game in the RC, but for anyone who has watched their previous games, it's pretty consistent.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Is passion relevant today?

Rugby is now a legitimate profession, with the vast majority of the practitioners of that profession having less than 10 years to set themselves up from their profession before they need to seek alternate employment outside their initial profession.

Engineering is a honorable and established profession. The blokes who tendered for but did not win the ANZAC Bridge contract can still be imporessed with the beauty of the selected design, and the skillfull project management of the construction team. Doesn't mean that they are not envious (passionate) of missing out on the contracts for that project.

Same with the Wobs.
Yeah, it's a job. But it's more than that. Representing your State, Country or whatever carries an emotional component as well. And ultimately, while winning isn't everything, it is the aim of a sporting contest, so nothing should be left in the tank, physically or emotionally. By all means give plaudits and admiration to the opposition afterwards for a good win. But before that, they ought to look like the want to kill for the jersey.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would also mount an argument that the people who are successful in their chosen professions are also very passionate about what they do. Rarely would you find someone who was outstanding at something but was just ho hum in their attitude towards it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Jets is correct. To reach the top of nearly any profession you have to have a drive and a passion for it, as well as talent. In the case of sport, it has to start from a young age or else you'll never get near the standard required to be even considered for selection in representative squads, Super rugby or for the Wallabies. I have no doubt that nearly all these guys have a deep seated desire to be successful. It's what makes an elite athlete elite. Any drop off in that intensity and drive immediately leads to a drop in performance. That ends with you getting dropped from the squad.

It's not all about the money with these guys, it's just one way of keeping score.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Jets is correct. To reach the top of nearly any profession you have to have a drive and a passion for it, as well as talent. In the case of sport, it has to start from a young age or else you'll never get near the standard required to be even considered for selection in representative squads, Super rugby or for the Wallabies. I have no doubt that nearly all these guys have a deep seated desire to be successful. It's what makes an elite athlete elite. Any drop off in that intensity and drive immediately leads to a drop in performance. That ends with you getting dropped from the squad.

It's not all about the money with these guys, it's just one way of keeping score.
To your point I just question whether all these guys who have a deep seated desire to be successful have the same definition of success.
Is it as individuals or as part of a team? Is it mediocre success over a long period or spectacular success in a flash? Is it financial success and setting yourself up for a Japanese or European contract, or is it winning a Super Rugby comp and leaving rugby for another career?
It would be interesting to survey each and every Wallaby right now to determine what their definition of success is and to see how consistent or different this is within the full squad.......and I'd ask the coaching staff the same question too.

Status
Not open for further replies.