• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
The Shore 1st 8 is stronger than last years so others will need to be v good crews if they are going to match up. The lads are very committed and trainig the house down.

Am interested to hear accurate insights into how the other crews are looking.

Happy rowing,
MR

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And yet their boat shed is on their doorstep....are they too busy waiting for clear and crisp water? Unlike schools (such) as Newington, SHS, Scots, Shore, Grammar and King's to an extent who have to travel through Sydney traffic and finally row through whatever conditions they face and whatever wash Sydney ferries can throw at them. Riverview and Joeys should be by far odds on favourite every year and in each crew equally, but unfortunately the results don't seem to show (there are very promising results in the quads though).

View's and Joeys' proximity to their rowing sheds has been mentioned previously in post #15 of this thread.

G

gilbert15

Votes for the most successful current coach, Mike Smith..(Grammar) last 3 years.. 2nd, 1st, 3rd
OR, the current Shore coach, (how long has he been in charge?) if it's been 3 years then he's achieved 1st, 2nd, 1st. (add another 1st if he's been there 4 years)
BUT Smith has done a lot with less depth!

Steele

Frank Row (1)
Me thinks view are perennial chokers. Promise big, deliver little. They do this yr 9 challenge project designed to wean them off mummies car , but still fail to launch at HOR.

R

Robert Andrews

just saw jack hayson from riverview pull a 6:05, was astounded at the least - he's in year 10

main event

Stan Wickham (3)
Kings have found a cover for the loss of Harry Jones with his own cousin Billy Simpson who is currently pulling high 20's.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Possible TKS VIII

Stroke - Billy Simpson
7 - Rob Black
6 - Scott Munro (pulling sub 6.20)
5 - Henry Walkerden
4 - Jack O'Neil
3 - Oliver Bird
2 - Jamie Greentree
1 - Corey Tulloch

i see a couple of them rowed in the winning first year 10 8 only 2 years ago, great to see how they have developed and if they can put pressure on shore or even beat them!

G

gilbert15

pas
i see a couple of them rowed in the winning first year 10 8 only 2 years ago, great to see how they have developed and if they can put pressure on shore or even beat them!

past history shows winning yr10 VIII's grnerally go on to win the 1st VIII's two years later, assuming the crew stays together.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
gentlemen, speaking to a few of the senior lads at the NC boat shed on the weekend, they have told me very humbling news that this year's squad, a somewhat special squad stretching from the 1st VIII to the 3rd Senior VIII had made some sound progress from pre-season till now and hopefully some more great results should appear soon enough, lets hope the mighty Head of the Parra is a good enough test for them!

p.s to note that last year's New 1st VIII had a crew weight range from 86kg-104kg........this years' heaviest 1st VIII boy will be 88, if he stays the same till the HOTR, its interesting to see this weight-shift from crews and if this will favour New or not??

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
great to see some quick times on the weekend by Riverview's 1st 8 and joeys 4th IV. Interesting results and seating changes needed to be made to their fours

5.58'96"

Frank Row (1)
I wouldn't worry st Augs rows out of mosman and not with much skill.Can't row to save their lives. And kinross has no water to row on and fewer quality rowers to row on it, they may win the U17 coxed quad at nations but the GPS will eat them up.

The GPS model is based on tradition not on high performance. Most GPS schools row since 187x, Kinross since 2004. They have produced plenty of high quality crews already. Not only their quads, but their 1st IVs, produced top results last year. A 6:44 in a 4+ at SIRC hasn't been done by any GPS crew in the last 5 years. Give them some time and they will show in the 8+.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
The GPS model is based on tradition not on high performance. Most GPS schools row since 187x, Kinross since 2004. They have produced plenty of high quality crews already. Not only their quads, but their 1st IVs, produced top results last year. A 6:44 in a 4+ at SIRC hasn't been done by any GPS crew in the last 5 years. Give them some time and they will show in the 8+.

I'm sure if any other GPS School would put their 4 best rowers in a four and tell them to row, they would probably break their own records and others.

Interested to know how many senior boys are rowing at Kinross and what their 4 best erg times are.

p.s. two ex-kinross boys at Newington are both in the first 8, interesting if they still stayed at kinross.........

5.58'96"

Frank Row (1)
I'm sure if any other GPS School would put their 4 best rowers in a four and tell them to row, they would probably break their own records and others.

Interested to know how many senior boys are rowing at Kinross and what their 4 best erg times are.

p.s. two ex-kinross boys at Newington are both in the first 8, interesting if they still stayed at kinross...

approx 105+ rowers in total, I assume about 25-30 of these are senior boys. No idea about erg times.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Why not make an eight then? And test their abilities against GPS or CAS schools.

Who'd wear the cost? It's expensive enough traipsing rugby teams to Sydney all winter (not nearly enough Sydney schools make the return journey) but to drag boats down to Penrith and the Parramatta River would add up to a considerable expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.