• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AFL Grand Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Obviously not the most popular subject on a Rugby forum but did anyone catch the AFL Grand Final? Can't comprehend how the players are feeling, regardless of your chosen code having to replay a final is both mentally and physically draining.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
What a money making scheme! Absolutely shocking that they dont play extra time or golden point!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I object to three things about it: they call a loose ball a "ruck", the call it "Australian Football" which I can sort of understand overseas people picking up the term but not in Australia please. Oh and no knock ons.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I like how they manfully run through, wait for it, paper, to get out to the centre.
Then they all hug.
Then they go to their positions and all bump shoulders and elbows with their opposite number to prove how manly they are prior to a ponce in lime green bouncing the ball off the ground so they can all flail at it with flapping hands.
Then one of the captains dares to refer to it as "going to war".
FFS.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great game though. I've supported Carlton my whole life, so there is no way I wanted Collingwood to win and thankfully they haven't (yet).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great game though. I've supported Carlton my whole life, so there is no way I wanted Collingwood to win and thankfully they haven't (yet).

Love your work BH. I am another Carlton tragic, and like you have never supported another team. Have disliked Collingwood since ever. My problem today was flicking between Shute Shield prelim Final, AFL Grand Final, and ITM Cup.

Shute Shield won out. Had AFL.com live score on computer, and occasional ITM updates during injuries/extended stoppages in Shute Shield.

Next week will have AFL, NRL and Rugby GF's on. How good will that be?

NRL is on Sunday isn't it?

Presume Shute Shield will be 3pm @ Concord on Saturday.
AFL replay will be 2pm on Saturday?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

When I lived (briefly) in Melbourne, one of my mates used to be happy when they played Collingwood...he said at least if you locked your keys in the car, someone could always help you out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The GF was the only thing on telly today, so it was an easy choice. I'll have to catch up with the Shute Shield on Monday and may also have a look at the NRL GF next week.

Collingwood fans make me laugh. They have this born to win mentality, yet they so rarely do. They can be pretty feral and their club president is one of the biggest dick heads in Australia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
When I moved there, at my work I was asked first thing "Which team?". I just said "Any team but Collingwood, Eddie's a knob". My boss and 2 colleagues were die-hard Magpies fans. Oops! :)

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
If you are a fan of rugby you can only support Geelong as I have for 23 years after having to move south for a few years. Gary Ablett Snr would have been a sensation in any other code. You would not believe how big he was when you saw him live.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The only problem I had with Ablett Snr was that he went the dirt when he didn't need to. Rubbing out Don Pyke in that GF was a dog act IMHO. Terrific player, but I never understood why he needed resort to that when he was clearly so good.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was down in Mexico in 95, living deep in Cats territory in Point Lonsdale. Pretty tough as a Carlton Supporter until end of the 1st 1/4 in the 95 GF.

Cats however are my #2 team.

Saw God AKA G Ablett senior weave his magic several times at Kardinia Park. He was very skilled, and a pleasure to watch.

While he was a superb athlete, he did not appear to have too much upstairs.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Why would forcies-back have decent grand final rules anyway?

They should just admit that, while it's been a bit of a lark in Australia, it's never caught on as a game and call it quits. To continue on draining all this talent and money from a proper sport that truly respresents the country is surely un-Australian

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

They should just admit that, while it's been a bit of a lark in Australia, it's never caught on as a game and call it quits. To continue on draining all this talent and money from a proper sport that truly respresents the country is surely un-Australian

Quite. If all those great athletes in Aussie Rules and League ever came across to rugby god help the rest of the world.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It still beats watching the Shute Shield...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Another 100,000 at the MCG next weekend. Not much of an AFL fan but support the Doggies. Huge financial windfall for the AFL and they actually know how to get that money down to the grass roots level. That and the huge loss of media exposure all of next week leaves both Rugby and League taking it up the arse.

The AFL must be loving this.

Status
Not open for further replies.