• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Al Baxter retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Most amazing sporting redemption I've ever seen was Al destroying Sheridan at Twickenham. Absolutely beautiful.

He's also gotta be up there as best interview we've had on the podcast so far; smart, witty, just a great bloke. Craig Joubert fucked Als intl career in that one test against the ABs, and has since admitted he was wrong. A real shame.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
He has been on ABC grandstand radio quite a few times and has come across very knowledgable and measured. I remember him first playing for the tahs, he used to run onto the field as a sub with his chest all puffed out while mentally preparing his angry face. He is picking the right time to go in my view.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great piece

Waratahs will miss Al Baxter

Tatafu Polota-Nau
June 11, 2011 12:00AM

AL Baxter has plenty of fond memories from 13 seasons playing footy at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The one he'll repeat most in the office tea-room when retired happened last year. It was Al's first try for NSW, which amazingly came in his 100th Super game.

It was a miracle try.

A 95-metre run, with several palm-offs, a goose-step and a staggering three chip-and-chases.

That's how he tells it, anyway. I seem to recall he dived over from a ruck less than a metre out, but these are small details.

Tonight, hopefully, we can give Al another SFS memory to treasure.

With Al retiring at the end of the year, tonight's game against the Highlanders doubles as an SFS farewell for him and a few other mates as well - Luke Burgess and Kurtley Beale.

We've spoken about it in team meetings and it is definitely no ordinary game.

KB (Kurtley Beale) and Burgo may well be back in other colours but Al is on his way out, and walking off the SFS with a smile on his face is the least he deserves.

It's hard for me to find the right words about Al.

He was the guy who showed me the ropes of the Waratahs as a young bloke, and though it must be a pain in the butt, he still does it for new guys every year.

In terms of front-row play he has been a big mentor and ally as well. But don't imagine Al and I sit around talking scrums and the best brand of electrical tape to wrap around your melon.

We love to chat about things such as the environment, current affairs, family, architecture. He loves talking about architectural styles and I like listening.

It's a pity the backs can't join in, due to their collective lack of IQ.

Hopefully Al's last game as a Tah is a few matches away yet, but a successful farewell from Moore Park is an important step.

The SFS has great sentimental value to us all. It's where we train, and next door to our headquarters, and it is a place where we pride ourselves on winning.

Walking down the tunnel onto the SFS is a massive rush, but just between you and me, once or twice I've found Billy Moore popping into my head.

The SFS tunnel where Billy famously screamed out "Queenslander!". Wearing NSW blue, you shake the thought off but that's what the walk out feels like: you are really hyped up. Maybe I should belt out a "Waratah!" tonight.

The Waratahs now have two homes, of course, and that's great.

We play the Brumbies at ANZ Stadium next weekend to finish the regular season, and if we get up tonight, it'll be a massive game.

It is a big-event ground and the boys feel that vibe. We've had our biggest crowds out there for the past few years.

As a proud westie, I reckon it's important we take the game out to God's country every now and then. It not only expands our supporter base, but to share the love out that way shows our commitment to western Sydney. We represent all of NSW proudly.

At both grounds, the aim is the same. To win and reward our fans for their support.

There's been plenty of publicity about Waratahs' fans this season. The strength of feeling that's emerged has reminded us how passionate our fans are. They want exactly what we want: success.

We were reminded when we played the Cheetahs that our fans genuinely care. We didn't play up to our standards and the crowd felt that. They deserved better from us as teammates, because every home game we consider the crowd as a 16th man.

We've listened long and hard, and the last thing we want is for our home crowds to underestimate their worth to us, particularly in those tough games.

Tonight will be one of them. We're at home and we have to beat the Highlanders to keep our finals alive.

We also have to farewell some great mates with a win.

So let's get stuck in from the kick-off. All 16 of us.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Fitting game for the Fuse tonight, dominated Jamie McIntosh tonight and his scrum won 2 tight heads and the Landers struggled on their ball all night.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully Deans was watching..

Baxter is no chance at all QWERTY and you know it. The only way he will get a start is if Kepu, Alexander, Slipper and Maafu are all injured. As much as Baxter is better than all of them except Kepu (arguably) at the set piece.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Baxter is no chance at all QWERTY and you know it. The only way he will get a start is if Kepu, Alexander, Slipper and Maafu are all injured. As much as Baxter is better than all of them except Kepu (arguably) at the set piece.

I don't think even Deans would pick Ma'afu ahead of Al. He is broken. And even Deans must have seen the ordinariness of his play.

ScepticalScotty

Stan Wickham (3)
I wish him all the best, he gave me one of the finest Wallaby moments destroying the English scrum in 2008, made even more sweet by the fact I was watching the game with a one-eyed English ex-front rower in a living room in Purley and I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance and brush up on my CPR skils when Big Al stuffed them good and proper! SWEET AS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.