• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All black tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Ok. It seams I'm the only person who thinks the all blacks use this as a tactic. They always roll towards the scrum half ( even when they could roll the opposite way) and then get up and block the blind side so that the scrum half has to avoid them or pass to the small side. Can anyone else agree with this?

It feels like I'm putting a gun to my head putting this up.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
There is a reason for this Shiggins. New Zealand is a very hilly steep country and most who are born there have one leg longer than the other to compensate for this. Rolling properly is taught at a very young age and becomes instinctive by the time we are twenty or so. This also explains why when regaining our feet we may lurch a little toward the anticipated downside of the hill. Occasionally the anticipated downside coincides with the area of the scrum. Hope this explanation assists you in your understanding of our great game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My memory is fading but I think when we were competitive against the ABs there was a lot less complaining about them, the ref, the crowd etc etc.
Kind of mirrors my own career.

T

Train Without a Station

I somewhere understand your viewpoint Shiggins. Personally I'm more concerned with our obvious awareness of these beneficial tactics, yet not being willing to try to employ them ourselves. Whilst I have witnessed some subpar officiating performances, I can not recall seeing any that were actually biased, they apply the same rules to both sides.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
1. I reckon the laws sometimes disadvantage the attacking team. Sometimes it would probably be better for the tackler to just lie there and let the half-back pick it up but if he does that, he'll get pinged for not rolling.

2. There is no law which dictates in which direction the tackler must roll apart from 'away'.

3. As a forward I say don't get caught up with these small things. It stops you from concentrating on the things that really matter like cleaning out rucks and rolling guys.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Ok let me be clear. I'm not having a go at the refs, and saying this is why teams are not winning against the all blacks. Especially australia. We need to be much better. In the Argentina game there were a number of not rolling away and offside penalties against the all blacks. Doesn't ths warrant a card? numerous penalties for the same thing. I'm just pointing out what I see. If I get a chance I might put a video together. However I won't be surprised if someone else is working on one. Lets not get bogged down with arguing about whinging or blaming refs or anything like this. Lets just talk about the tactics.

I think it would be a great experiment to see what percentage of fans are on gagr as well. I wonder if this forum has more Aussie fans or New Zealand fans or even Bok fans. Someone might already know.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ok let me be clear. I'm not having a go at the refs, and saying this is why teams are not winning against the all blacks. Especially australia. We need to be much better. In the Argentina game there were a number of not rolling away and offside penalties against the all blacks. Doesn't ths warrant a card? numerous penalties for the same thing. I'm just pointing out what I see. If I get a chance I might put a video together. However I won't be surprised if someone else is working on one. Lets not get bogged down with arguing about whinging or blaming refs or anything like this. Lets just talk about the tactics.

I think it would be a great experiment to see what percentage of fans are on gagr as well. I wonder if this forum has more Aussie fans or New Zealand fans or even Bok fans. Someone might already know.
I think it would be a great idea if you were to write an article up, accompanied by some clips ;)
10/10, would read.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
If I only had the time..... It would only be one clip but it would be 80 minutes long haha

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The side that does the most things right and takes there opportunities wins, not the side that gets away with the most. How many games did we deserve to win but didn't due to these tactics? Struggling to think of any.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh the shameless self promotion! :)
I could only hold my tongue for so much of this thread.
In all seriousness, if I learned anything from doing it, it is that it is quite revealing to pick apart a game, or games, in close detail, and the results can be surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.