• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Black training squad for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
In order to stop the hijack of the Julian Savea thread, heres this one.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/6913879/Lucky-Lukes-in-All-Blacks-training-squad

Crusaders Luke Whitelock and Luke Romano are among the surprise selections in the All Blacks' 35-man wider training group revealed by Steve Hansen last night.

One of the major omissions is Crusaders wing Zac Guildford who, despite being one of the form wings in New Zealand, has been overlooked along with hooker Corey Flynn.

Hansen will today reveal the reasons for his selections. Guildford's omission, which could be related to his alcohol-fuelled indiscretions in Rarotonga after the World Cup, mean his chances of being selected for next month's three-test series against Ireland may be bleak.

The squad will train in camps in Auckland and Wellington later this month and be whittled back to 30 on June 3 ahead of the opening Irish test on June 9 at Eden Park.

The naming of loose forward Whitelock and lock Romano does not guarantee the pair will earn their first caps against Ireland but they now have a path to higher honours if they can impress the new All Blacks boss.

The selection of Whitelock falls into the "bolter" category. Although he has been a regular fixture on the Crusaders bench this season he has only started twice at No8 and blindside flanker.

The squad includes 21 members of last year's World Cup squad and six players from last year's NZ under-20 side that won the world title. This includes Whitelock who captained the side and is in his first season of Super Rugby.

"We have two aims with the selection of the players for the camps. Our main aim is to begin to prepare a squad to win the series against Ireland; and secondly, it gives us the opportunity to introduce and work with some younger, talented players in the All Blacks environment," Hansen stated.

Hansen has also unveiled a number of other bold selections and has given an indication he is already looking to build for the future.

Exciting Highlanders halfback Aaron Smith has earned a call-up ahead of the Hurricanes' No9 TJ Perenara.

There was better news for Perenara's team-mates Beauden Barrett, Julian Savea and Brad Shields, however, who have all been included.

The selection of rugged loose forward Shields, who impressed for Wellington last year, is a surprise but Barrett and Savea have thrived following regular starts by coach Mark Hammett this season.

The Chiefs have also provided a host of newcomers, including monster 134kg prop Ben Tameifuna, halfback Tawera Kerr-Barlow and openside flanker Sam Cane.

Utility back Richard Kahui has been selected despite dislocating his shoulder in the Chiefs defeat to the Reds last night, as has prop Charlie Faumuina who pulled a calf muscle against the Lions on Friday night.

ALL BLACKS TRAINING SQUAD

Backs: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Julian Savea, Richard Kahui, Conrad Smith, Tamati Ellison, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Piri Weepu, Andy Ellis, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Smith

Forwards: Kieran Read, Victor Vito, Luke Whitelock, Brad Shields, Richie McCaw, Sam Cane, Adam Thomson, Sam Whitelock, Ali Williams, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Wyatt Crockett, Tony Woodcock, Charlie Faumuina, Ben Tameifuna, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Andrew Hore

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Backs: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Julian Savea, Richard Kahui, Conrad Smith, Tamati Ellison, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Piri Weepu, Andy Ellis, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Smith
Forwards: Kieran Read, Victor Vito, Luke Whitelock, Brad Shields, Richie McCaw, Sam Cane, Adam Thomson, Sam Whitelock, Ali Williams, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Wyatt Crockett, Tony Woodcock, Charlie Faumuina, Ben Tameifuna, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Andrew Hore

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Hasn't Jimmy Cowan fallen out of favour this year?? Obviously his decision to sign overseas for next year hasn't helped, but IIRC Aaron Smith was being selected ahead of him at the Highlanders before this was announced.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good to see Beauden Barrett in the squad, I remember watching him when Hurricanes were in Perth, such a good player. Carter needs to watch out with Cruden playing well as well. (or maybe they will move DC to #12?)

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Carter is having problems with his groin injury. Hope Aaron Smith gets a run at Half back, especially if weepu is unfit.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Probably should omit Kahui from that list. I think he may be goneburger for the year. Shame, he was having a great year....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Weepu will be much chop by the June tests, but I'm betting that he'll be a gun player again when the Rugby Championship starts.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Where is andre taylor? easily the form 15 in super rugby
Very good going forward, fairly anonymous on defence. Haven't seen much of his kicking game either? But yeah, tough call to not even make the training squad!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Pretty strange squad. Certainly not daunting.

I would have Tom Taylor ahead of Beauden Barrett and to leave out Fruean, Maitland and Guildford is quite surprising.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty strange squad. Certainly not daunting.

I would have Tom Taylor ahead of Beauden Barrett and to leave out Fruean, Maitland and Guildford is quite surprising.
Tom Taylor kicks well, but haven't seen anything else to make me think he an All Black, Fruean needs to play for 80 minutes not drift off, and Maitland and Guilford I would think still need to actually beat men one on one.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm not suprised the two Crusaders wingers missed out. Jane is assured on one wing, Savea is one for the future and Kahui was a definate before injury. Plus Ben Smith and Dagg can play there if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.