• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks tour of South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like Scott Roberston‘s upping the ante by throwing his name into the international ring indicates a growing frustration with NZR.
What’s the bet he’ll sign an offshore contract as NZR sit on their hands pondering an excuse for the AB backline failure under Foster’s tutelage?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Looks like Scott Roberston‘s upping the ante by throwing his name into the international ring indicates a growing frustration with NZR.
What’s the bet he’ll sign an offshore contract as NZR sit on their hands pondering an excuse for the AB backline failure under Foster’s tutelage?
It's probably in Robertson's best interests to gain some international coaching experience outside NZ before taking the AB job - it would still be a huge jump to go from Super Rugby head coaching (in a well-run organisation) to head coach of the ABs. But if he takes a job outside NZ for 2024, the mourning will be epic.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
the mourning will be epic.
doit-ben-stiller.gif

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
What Robertson actually said in an interview with former Scotland international Jim Hamilton on his podcast.

What I learned from last time, especially around the All Blacks stuff, is you have to keep your options open” ... “It’s a professional game and I’m probably a little more clearly focused."

It’s one job (All Blacks coach) and when someone doesn’t give it to you, you have to think differently: what opportunities are out there? I’ll be coming into my seventh year as the Crusaders coach next year, I have loved it all, it has been incredible but no one lasts in a job forever, so I am open.

If New Zealand Rugby want me, great. If there is another club, country … probably country, I wouldn’t go to a club now. I really want to go to the Rugby World Cup, I genuinely want to go to a couple. I’m 47 I’ll be 52 by the time the next Rugby World Cup comes around (Australia 2027 follows France next year). I want to get to two or three and test myself, push myself. I am open [to offers], yeah.”

I want to win the World Cup, but I want to win it with two different countries. I haven’t said it publicly before, but it would transcend [I think there's a bit missing here...]”.

It would be great to win a World Cup with your own country, which I want to do. That is the foremost thing. But I would love to do it with another country. I’m not sure what order it is. I’m not sure how that plays out … those decisions are not mine. But I would love to win two and have a different expectation, different culture.”

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
GO 4 IT RZR

The gales of laughter generated for that NZRFU self-pwning facepalmage would blow the nation of NZ right off its axis.

----------------------------------------------------------

Foster Anoints Successor

--NZ Herald--

Ian Foster has today shocked and astounded the assembled press corps who, like most New Zealanders, are baying for his blood after a wretched run of clueless losses. He announced during his press conference today his "successor" as All Black coach.

"I have selected my successor who will take over from me after the 2027 Rugby World Cup. It is Steve Hansen's daughter."

"Steve did me a big favour in getting me this job so it's only fair that I repay the favour. Steve's daughter will join the All Black team as an assistant coach next week and we'll get her up to speed by 2027 for a seamless transfer of power. Continuity is very important in the coaching business so let's continue our learnings into the future and making the best of our opportunities in regards to learnings thank you all no questions".

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bet I know who Fozzie's loosies will be:

6 Frizzle
7 Cane
8 Ardie

200.gif

Also you know who I would like to see given more time at hooker?

CODIE TAYLOR.

FFS its like after each loss Fozzie gets dosed with the Men In Black memory zapper and next week he's blithely looking forward to the next learnings opportunity..... but picking the exact same guys who he seems to have instantly forgotten are now recalcitrant recidivistic losers.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Not sure this is such a good idea...

It's not going global so the sooner everyone acknowledges that & moves on the better imo (doesn't mean the admins can't keep pushing for it at the various WR (World Rugby) committee etc meetings).
Nah....I like it.

Good on SANZAAR for respecting their watching public and fans rather than falling into line with those tossers in the NH.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am hearing that Caleb Clarke is a shoe in for a wing spot for the Mbombela Stadium test match; if so he will make a big difference to the ABs regaining form...

Not if no.s 1-8 can't provide decent ball & 10-13 distribute it instead of kicking it away/ turning it over...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
South Africa: Damian Willemse, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk; Jasper Wiese, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi (capt), Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Trevor Nyakane. Reserves: Bongi Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Salmaan Moerat, Franco Mostert, Kwagga Smith, Jaden Hendrikse, Willie le Roux.

6/2 bench. Gee, I wonder what their game plan is?

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
As the match draws closer, there will be a lot of posts on specific personnel. Of course, the players make a difference. But the the structure and strategy of the team matters more.

Bok great Victor Matfield, a smart rugby player, talks about the AB defence below, something which was echoed by Dane Coles in the first test. In the modern era, there has only been one successful model of defence - a rush defence. Every tier one team rushes, except NZ and to some extent Australia. I cannot understand why we do not rush.

Speaking to BokSquad, the official supporters’ club of South African rugby, Matfield, the SuperSport commentator and analyst, said: “The New Zealand defence has been one of the slowest in terms of coming off the line. That is what gave the Ireland attack a lot of opportunity over the course of that series.

“If South Africa was playing against Ireland, for example, they would come off the line a lot quicker to shut down the options. Ireland would probably struggle to get more than one or two passes away. As a result, Ireland would probably be forced to kick a lot more

“New Zealand don’t have the best defence at the moment. The Boks can run at them – and I’m not talking about running from deep within our own half. If we get into their half, we can build through our forwards and we can come round the corner. Once we set the platform, we can play a few options. That is how you can build momentum against them.”

Tier one teams carve up easy metres against us because we literally wait for them to come, with their deception and power. Our scramble is pretty good, but the first line of defence cedes ground so cheaply, and we refuse to change this.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What are your thoughts on the problems with the ABs waiopehu old boy? And how can they solve them?

Problems - see my post replying to yours wrt Caleb. To which I'd add our 9 doesn't present enough of a running threat which makes the midfield less of a threat & is partly responsible for the Barretts taking the kick & hope they fuck up defensively option.

Solutions - forwards need to be going forward more often & playing to their weight: carry into contact & hit rucks like you're 110-120kg not 90-100; attack the tackle zone rather than just fanning out & waiting for the point of attack to change.

As above, 9 needs to run at least occasionally if only to hold the defence up for that second or two rather than allowing them to push up into the faces of our midfield; 10 to vary his kicking game - the odd grubber & kicking narrow side occasionally but most of all for fucks sake don't kick it do deep it's not contestable.

In short, play Crusader ball & have a Plan B for the times it just ain't working (to be fair Crusaders are as guilty of having no Plan B as anyone).

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Matfield, the SuperSport commentator and analyst, said: “The New Zealand defence has been one of the slowest in terms of coming off the line. That is what gave the Ireland attack a lot of opportunity over the course of that series.

“If South Africa was playing against Ireland, for example, they would come off the line a lot quicker to shut down the options. Ireland would probably struggle to get more than one or two passes away. As a result, Ireland would probably be forced to kick a lot more

“New Zealand don’t have the best defence at the moment. The Boks can run at them – and I’m not talking about running from deep within our own half. If we get into their half, we can build through our forwards and we can come round the corner. Once we set the platform, we can play a few options. That is how you can build momentum against them.”

Pretty much exactly what we have been saying about the AB defence - it's bleedingly obvious that it's problematic - how McLeod survived the last cut of assistant coaches amazes me.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL as if ANYONE is going to get up in the middle of the night to watch The Worst All Black Team In Rugby Football History get arseplowed up the clacka 7 ways of sideways by Mein Bokke.

I might hatewatch dreadscroll past a replay. Zero enthusiasm. Who's in the team? Who's on first? Did I read that Fozzie has "a plan"? Let's hear it then fluffybunny.
"Yeah we'll look to punch it up over the gainline then spread it wide"
"WHAT HAPPENS IF THAT DOESNT WORK, LIKE IT HASNT WORKED FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS CNUT?"
"Um, yeah, uhh, just chuck it around a bit and pray Beaudy or Will Jordan can pull a rabbit out of their arses."
"OH OKAY THEN GOOD TALK".

Status
Not open for further replies.