• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs. Italianos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
thought i'd throw the team up here

Cory Jane, Ben Smith, Tamati Ellison, Luke McAlister, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Mike Delany, Andy Ellis, Rodney So'oialo (captain), Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam, Anthony Boric, Tom Donnelly, Neemia Tialata, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett.

Reserves: Andrew Hore, John Afoa, Jason Eaton, Richie McCaw, Jimmy Cowan, Stephen Donald, Mils Muliaina

a weaker squad for sure, but honestly probably won't matter. it is italy after all...

... but i'd LOVE to see this backfire :)

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
PaarlBok said:
Newb said:
... but i'd LOVE to see this backfire :)
Do you want the All Blacks to lose?

i suppose everyone selects a weaker squad in italy, but i'd love for the IT's to read that, get pissed off at the 2nd rate quality, get up for it, and surprise the AB's.

so in short, yes. rare that i ever root for them.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
cheezel said:
Whom is Mike Delany?

Good question. From the BoP, generally overlooked by the Chiefs (no doubt BoP supporters pointing to Waikato bias there).

Played for the Highlanders in the S14 last year after they nabbed him from the draft (if I recall correctly). The Chiefs took him back this year, and he was the deputy for the Duck but also got some time at fullback.

His selection? It shows the huge gap in decent flyhalves in NZ rugby. They may have the best one around right now (Carter), but behind him they are struggling a bit.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
How come stephen Brett isn't on the EOYT tour? is he injured or just gone downhill?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
mark_s said:
How come stephen Brett isn't on the EOYT tour? is he injured or just gone downhill?

just won the NPC with the cantabs so i assume he's healthy. although now off to auckland. just not selected i suppose.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah those are some tall ladies. Sure they're probably in massive heels that that ain't worth more than a few inches.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PaarlBok said:
Is that Leicester fatty playing in this one?
OK found him
SARugby.com
Castrogiovanni unleashed on Blacks
Scrummaging powerhouse Martin Castrogiovanni is one of two changes to the Italy side for the Test against the All Blacks in Milan on Saturday.

The Leicester Tigers’ juggernaut is fresh off the destruction of the entire Springboks front row and was instrumental in the club’s shocking 22-17 upset over the South Africans.

Italy coach Nick Mallet, a former Springbok player and coach, has rewarded Castrogiovanni with a place in Saturday’s starting line-up ahead of Ignacio Rouyet, while Carlo Antonio del Fava fills in for the injured Marco Bortolami in the second row.

The Azzurri, who haven’t tasted victory in over a year, is looking to former Australia Rugby League player Craig Gower to spark the backline at pivot.

“It's a fantastic occasion, it's good for rugby itself," Gower told reporters.

"Everyone knows exactly what they are doing and we've just got to put it into place," added the 31-year-old, whose Italian is not yet fluent.

"I'm learning the rugby stuff, the conversation is not so great."

The match will be played in front of 80 000 fan at Milan’s San Siro, which will be the biggest crowd for a rugby match in the country.

Italy: 15 Luke McLean, 14 Kaine Robertson, 13 Gonzalo Canale, 12 Gonzalo Garcia, 11 Mirco Bergamasco, 10 Craig Gower, 9 Tito Tebaldi, 8 Sergio Parisse (captain), 7 Mauro Bergamasco, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 5 Quintin Geldenhuys, 4 Carlo Antonio Del Fava, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Salvatore Perugini.
Replacements: 16 Fabio Ongaro, 17 Ignacio Rouyet, 18 Antonio Pavanello, 19 Simone Favaro, 20 Simon Picone, 21 Kristopher Burton, 22 Alberto Sgarbi.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The big problem last year for the Azzuri was the maul ELV. They couldn't buy a try, because that's their traditional method of doing so. If God ever sends them a set of backs, watch out, because as you saw on their tour and this time last year, they're not half bad up front.

Parisse is world-class. Their front-row is magnificent, if undermined by Castrogiovanni's very wobbly temperament when he doesn't get his own way. Bergamasco's very good.

This will be tight enough until the AB bench cavalry ride in to finish the Italians off.

M

Mojoman

Mike Delaney is the BOP first five, a bit of late bloomer. He was the form First Five of the AirNZCup and the selectors rewarded him with a spot. He's got a great running game and good kicking game. Difference between Delaney and some of our younger First Fives is his ability to steer his team around the park and run the backline well. Probably because he's more mature/experienced (26 or 27). He's been selected along with Stephen Donald as the Chief's First Fives for next years S14. Word is he will start with Donald as 2nd Five/Inside Centre.

Stephen Brett has been terrific for Canterbury in this years AirNZCup but shaded by Delaney. The thinking is the selectors know what he can do after his stints in the AB squad and Jnr AB's. He suffers from being a bit "flakey" and inconsistent. For instance he had a fantastic AirNZCup final but absolute shocker in Canterbury's Ranfurly Shield loss to Southland. He's on the move to my home franchise, the Blues in next years S14.

AB team vs Italy is predictable, very similar in terms of development to the one that played Munster last year and barely won. Selectors have put the heavy artillery on the bench incase anything goes wrong.

Wouldn't that be a bitch if Italy upset us.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Mojoman is spot on. All I'll add is that Latimer, So'oialo and Messam - more so the latter two - are in a bit of the "last chance saloon" scenario, in that without a strong performance from each the AB coaches will look elsewhere for loose forward bench options moving into 2010 and the RWC year. Rodders has been quiet for long time and is now behind Read as preferred Test 8 againt tier 1 opposition.

C

chief

In front of 80,000 fans for the Italians to beat the All Blacks would be fantastic for Italian rugby. To even come close would be fantastic. I don't think they can do it, but I think they can come close.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
abs_models3,0.jpg

Busted

Status
Not open for further replies.