• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks want tri nations trophy, despite not winning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Im not putting the wind up the four nations. But if for some reason Argentina disappear from the tournament we can revert back to it.

Alternatively maybe it can become a side trophy for best place team out of the four nations that isn't Argentina. Out there thought but if NZ has a sookie la la like they normally do about pretty much everything let them try that.
I agree it can be a side trophy just like the Bledisloe (first rate to me!) and the Mandella trophy, just keep it going and dream of the day Kev lifts the Mandella, Bledisloe, trinations, fournations and a new trophy for the Pumas at the same time.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
PUMA TROPHY RESULTS 2000 - 2002
Year Winner Matches Venue
2000 Australia 2-0 Australia - 53 v Argentina - 6 Ballymore Oval, Brisbane
Australia - 32 v Argentina - 25 Bruce Stadium, Canberra
2002 Australia 1-0 Argentina - 6 v Australia - 17 Lansdowne Rd, Dublin

Anyone know why we apparently last played them in 2002 in Dublin? Surely we've played them since?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone know why we apparently last played them in 2002 in Dublin? Surely we've played them since?

It was in Buenos Aires in 2002 (Wobs then played Ireland in Dublin the following week).

Played next in Sydney during 2003 RWC.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given that when the Reds won the Super XV they would have had to ring around to find where the trophy cabinet was and that a species of bat thought extinct having been last seen in 2001 was nesting in the Wallabies trophy cabinet, there are some fairly weak posts on this thread. Let's remember that was only the 2nd time in 12 matches we've beaten the ABs, they still have the Bledisloe, Samoa beat us last month, England hold the Cook Cup...

We should at least try to be gracious when we win a couple of games.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Given that when the Reds won the Super XV they would have had to ring around to find where the trophy cabinet was and that a species of bat thought extinct having been last seen in 2001 was nesting in the Wallabies trophy cabinet, there are some fairly weak posts on this thread. Let's remember that was only the 2nd time in 12 matches we've beaten the ABs, they still have the Bledisloe, Samoa beat us last month, England hold the Cook Cup... We should at least try to be gracious when we win a couple of games.

Cutter, you omitted to mention Scotland currently hold the Hopetoun Cup. Oh the shame, the shame.

M

monkeybutt

where should the trophy go?

I was enjoying a new rugby app i had just downloaded when i came across an article about where the tri nations should go. The writer of the article (obviously a mutton molestor) seemed to think that because its the new four nations concept next year with a new trophy the NZRU should get the old one as they had won it the most, my opinion, fuck em, we won it so it's ours.
thoughts?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Dear SANZAR,
When u discuss where the trophy should end up, perhaps think outside the box a bit. Instead of sitting it in a cabinet, perhaps invest in a semi trailer for each country. We all remember being at school and getting a visit from Healthy Harold to tell us our erections where a natural part of growing up.

How good would it be for schools and public places to get a visit from a truck containing trophies, boots, jerseys and a couple of ex players spreading the SANZAR gospel and converting th youth into an army of followers, a quick blue screen shot would allow them to go home with a photo of themselves lifting the cup in front of there home crowd. A road train would also supply country areas with the side of a truck where a game could be projected and beers served from promoting the game in places that teams from all countries don't normally get to.

Just an idea, I'm sure putting it in a cabinet where execs meet is good to though.
Yours lovingly,
Jesus.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
well considering we won it i think e deserve to hold onto it for at least a year
(knowing our kiwi and saffas friends arnt very smart im counting on them forgeting about it soon enough> especially when we dangle a new shiny one in front of them next year)

J

Jay

The Bulls kept the Super 14 Trophy... because they were the last to win it... soooooo... tough luck boys, it is ours!!!!

And the Crusaders have the S12 trophy.

Although, both of those teams were also the teams that won those trophies the most.

P

proton

HIde it
Here's an interesting article from across the ditch. I say we won it, we keep it.

"Sanzar rugby officials are yet to reveal what will happen to the Tri Nations trophy now the competition has ended following last night's match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. Next year Argentina will join an enlarged Four Nations competition and a shiny new cup will be commissioned for the winner.

Given that the All Blacks have so singularly dominated the tournament, winning it 10 times prior to this year, an appropriate destination would be the NZRU trophy cabinet, regardless of how it played out last night. "

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5519140/ABs-told-stick-to-10m-line-during-haka

G

gecko

That has to be the least imaginative trophy i've seen, naming it after one team's mascot?

Can it and start a Topo Rodriguez or Noriega Cup.

I say keep using the Trinations trophy, rework the thing to say four nations or quad nations. Bugger starting a new trophy every time the competition changes. Trophies mean something when they're old relics. Someone in the SANZAR set up must own a trophy shop, why else would they want to make a new one every couple of seasons?

However if they insist on smelting something new we're keeping the old one.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Given that when the Reds won the Super XV they would have had to ring around to find where the trophy cabinet was and that a species of bat thought extinct having been last seen in 2001 was nesting in the Wallabies trophy cabinet, there are some fairly weak posts on this thread. Let's remember that was only the 2nd time in 12 matches we've beaten the ABs, they still have the Bledisloe, Samoa beat us last month, England hold the Cook Cup...

We should at least try to be gracious when we win a couple of games.

Does that hair shirt ever get itchy Cutter?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I really don't care who keeps the trophy. What does it really matter? I mean does anyone care where the Sheffield Shield is? But it is a rugby museum somewhere or use it for the new comp.

J

Jay

I really don't care who keeps the trophy. What does it really matter? I mean does anyone care where the Sheffield Shield is? But it is a rugby museum somewhere or use it for the new comp.

Exactly.

A trophy is only prestigious cause of the victory it signifies. As of next years 4 Nations (or whatever it's called) this year's trophy becomes just another empty cup (to quote Doc Hudson).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why exactly are they retiring the current Cup? I know it probasbly has Tri-Nations on it but why not get it reconditioned to say Fourn Nations or whatever god awful marketers name they give it? Would add it's collective history to the trophy as I know I would prefer to win the original than a newly designed model. Just my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.