• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

and so onto France

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
Chiz did 11 tackles, Sharpie had 20 and 3M had 18. Mumm had 7 in 15 minutes. Sure, Chiz got only 65 minutes, and sure you shouldn't take the stats of one game as gospel, but to me he always seems to be behind in the work rate.

I thought he had a good performance for a change - played much tighter and was aggressive at the breakdown. But he just isn't clinical enough for test rugby with his missed tackles and sloppy stuff like how he taps the ball off the lineout.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Who went to tighthead 2nd row when Chiz went off? Sharpe or MMM? The scrums for the last 15mins were just as dominant then so I dont think we have too much to worry about in that respect.

Gagger - apparently the usual pubs are showing the game in London (the walkabouts/slugs etc) but not sure where they are getting the feed from. I am flying over on Saturday and catching the train back on Sunday for what is my final weekend in the Northern Hemisphere. I think I have managed to tick off the vast majority of sporting events one would hope to go to in a lifetime in the last 2 years but would be nice to finish with a win.

As for Cips' 2nd line break how good was the look on Sharpe's face as he turned to chase him? One of the funniest things Ive seen.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
the gambler said:
As for Cips' 2nd line break how good was the look on Sharpe's face as he turned to chase him? One of the funniest things Ive seen.

:lmao: Yeah, he seems to be shouting "FARK FARK FARK" as he's running

S

Spook

Fair enough Lee, his work rate was lower. I think he's come along way since his absolutely rubbish Super 14. He's held up better than I thought he would.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spook said:
Fair enough Lee, his work rate was lower. I think he's come along way since his absolutely rubbish Super 14. He's held up better than I thought he would.

That's a fair call. Chisholm has done much better than most of us thought. I was another who saw his club performances with Randwick and barely even realised he was playing - in fact, he was out played by club locks. That he has managed to step it up to acceptable test level performances is a massive turnaround in what surely must've previously been a completely dud year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - it's a fair call to be honest. We get these opinions about players sometimes that are black and white, but it is seldom like that in reality.

Chiz did go better than I thought he would, but all the same, I don't think he is an international second rower except when others drop out. He did the best he could at Twickenham and that is both commendation and censure.

I've watched him a lot, as we all have, but what brought home to me his was an elimination final between the Rats and Randwick in the Sydney club comp this year.

I've mentioned it before but for those who didn't read it: Chisholm was playing for the Green Slime and new Brumby signing Timani, also a lock, was playing for the mighty Rats. Timani, the MOTM, was dominant in the lineout, busy in the contests and dynamite in the open. Chisholm watched the ball.

This is is an LG exaggeration and take it with a grain of salt, but rest assured that Chiz was genuinely ordinary. You'd expect a starting Wallaby to take a club game or two by the scruff of the neck but I didn't notice any such thing then, nor earlier against Eastwood when I was also at the ground, nor in any game on TV.

Even though we can be assured that he is always trying his best, the enforced selection of Chisholm, due to the unavailability of Vickerman and Horwill, is a damning indication of the skinny depth in Oz 2nd rowers.

As if you didn't know that already.

H

hi-jinks

Lee, being a Rats supporter is as tortourous as being a Saints supporter.
Neither will win. Let it go.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
Even though we can be assured that he is always trying his best, the enforced selection of Chisholm, due to the unavailability of Elsom, Kimlin, Hockings, Kanaar, Vickerman and Horwill, is a not such a damning indication of the not so skinny depth in Oz 2nd rowers.

fixed

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good one Nod.

Anyone know of the injury staus of Kimlin? He would be short of a gallop, but I'd like to see him get a run against the Baa-Baas.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Noddy said:
Lee Grant said:
Even though we can be assured that he is always trying his best, the enforced selection of Chisholm, due to the unavailability of Elsom, Kimlin, Hockings, Kanaar, Vickerman and Horwill, is a not such a damning indication of the not so skinny depth in Oz 2nd rowers.

fixed

Good point Noddy, but Kanaar wont be back and, someone else said it here the other day, nor will Vickerman I reckon.

S

Spook

Good post all round. Chisolm, Chapman and Hoiles are going to be extremely nervous players next Super 14 when you look at blokes like Timani, Salvi and Kimlin coming through who don't sea gull.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lets hope for the Brumbies sake that this pressure for positions converts to a bit of mongrel in the contests against teams that also have mongrel. But as Sportin' Life said, famously, "It ain't necessarily so."

Oftentimes we have seen teams with a lot of apparent depth in certain positions but the coach can't settle on one person for it because nobody really puts their hand up, and the game of musical chairs prevails until the season is over.

Even the All Blacks have had this problem. During our 4 year dominance of them from 1998 to 2001 (inclusive) they had a lot of good players in all positions. After I joined the old TSF forum in 1999 IIRR, the Kiwis were crowing about their depth for years even when I pointed out, as politely as always, that we were smacking their arses.

What I also pointed out then was that they didn't have really have depth. What they had was width - good players available for most positions but sometimes, no champions with head and shoulders above the others.

Beware of width. Sometimes it doesn't bring the benefits one expects - though it is a comfort when injuries occur.

Oops - is this the Oz v France thread?? Excuuuuse me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Footage of the team training on Fox Sports News shows Kimlin (seemingly) fit and training.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Footage of the team training on Fox Sports News shows Kimlin (seemingly) fit and training.
I also saw Lote running around looking very Fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.