• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

And the Wallabies are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Could Hynes have been dropped for those pathetic grubber kicks (if so G. Smith look out) when he made a break and not better utilising his support players. Though he didn't cost any tries like Turner or Cross (or was it AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s man?) or make any other glaring errors. Was he one of the players who turned their back when DuPreez scored?

On Foxsportsnews this morning they had Quade in the starting team, so was surprised not to read about it in todays paper or on the team list. Glad too.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Newb said:
springboks with caps in ( )

1 Tendai Mtawarira (17)
2 Bismarck du Plessis (28)
3 John Smit - Captain (88)
4 Bakkies Botha (61)
5 Victor Matfield (87)
6 Heinrich Brüssow (8 )
7 Juan Smith (61)
8 Pierre Spies (26)
9 Fourie du Preez (50)
10 Morne Steyn (7)
11 Bryan Habana (52)
12 Jean de Villiers (52)
13 Jaque Fourie (49)
14 Odwa Ndungane (4)
15 Ruan Pienaar (34)

Reserves: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle (7) 17 Jannie du Plessis (11) 18 Danie Rossouw (41) 19 Schalk Burger (51) 20 Ricky Januarie (39) 21 Adi Jacobs (26) 22 Frans Steyn (34)

couple changes from injury (bekker and pietersen). must be nice to have a side that picks itself on form....
Look like we'r going the same old same like in Perth. Sure the Bokke will try and run them off their feet like we saw in that first half. Sure they'll patch up on the scrum work and glad Barnes will take the whistle. At least he wont be biased like the Kiwi ref and a true nuetral for this test. Also hopin to see more from Brussouw this time around.

The ditch of Cross for Barnes in midfield will weaken the Wallaby defense even more in midfield and a vokken shamble they dont pick Phil Waugh.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
Of those on this site that continue to not select JOC (James O'Connor) in their teams, I ask WHY? Surely he has proven himself, and has played better than the majority of his more experienced collegues. I'd suggest he has played better or equal to every other back except AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Barnes. He is one player for the future - Cross is not.

Matt Giteau has 70 test caps and I don't think he's proven himself. Not as a flyhalf anyway. Arguably as a 12 but I reckon even a Steve Kefu could have racked up 40 tests playing in between Bernie & Morts.

What's O'Connor done to justify a spot ? As a fullback, he's short, bad under the high ball, inexperienced, not a link man, doesn't inject himself into the backline. Its mostly hype so far -he's Australia's answer to Frans Stain.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
PaarlBok said:
Sure they'll patch up on the scrum work and glad Barnes will take the whistle. At least he wont be biased like the Kiwi ref and a true nuetral for this test.

Is that a thinly-veiled go at the ref? I guess you guys won so it's fair to criticise him... :fishing

Disagree about losing midfield defence with Cross being dropped, Barnes is a great defender and it was the 10-12 axis that leaked last week.

Agree about Waugh though, Pocock hasn't impressed in his 3N appearances. Let's hope he changes that on Saturday!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
THE back row and pek on the bench are the only things that worry me.
i dont understand why you would mix players around.

smith is the best seven in the country so you select him at 7! its simple, pocock is the third best 7 in the country so you leave him out altogether and put waugh on the bench.

lets hope the front row holds together, pek will quickly make the scrum even if he comes on!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Grandmaster Flash said:
Disagree about losing midfield defence with Cross being dropped, Barnes is a great defender and it was the 10-12 axis that leaked last week.

Agree about Waugh though, Pocock hasn't impressed in his 3N appearances. Let's hope he changes that on Saturday!
Dunno I watch Cross now a fair bit in S14 and always thought he is a better defender and more physical compare to Barnes or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Dont help you give Cross bits and pieces in test rugby. If I'd be Deans I sure would have gave him a fair crack to nail the 13 jersey.

As the opponent I sort of hate Phil Waughs way of play more then all of your other loosies. He offer much more pjysical to what the others offer add together and the man you'd want to play against the Bokke.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
waratahjesus said:
smith is the best seven in the country so you select him at 7! its simple, pocock is the third best 7 in the country so you leave him out altogether and put waugh on the bench.

because now this game means fuck all, may as give him a run.

turner should have been dumped for mine. hasn't done a thing all year

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Pek Cowan, eh? I reckon Baxter got arse raped.

And I think I've made myself clear about getting Waugh back. Apart from that - sure, why not!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The ditch of Cross for Barnes in midfield will weaken the Wallaby defense even more in midfield and a vokken shamble they dont pick Phil Waugh.

No way I would say the total opposite, our defence will be better.

I'm happy with the team although Mitchell for Hynes is weird I think Turner should have been dropped if anyone.

Not worried about TPN throwing as Moore hasn't been any better & TPN has improved the scrum.

The comment from Deans pretty much tells us that Barnes will be wearing 12 but playing 10 which is great.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What's O'Connor done to justify a spot ? As a fullback, he's short, bad under the high ball, inexperienced, not a link man, doesn't inject himself into the backline. Its mostly hype so far -he's Australia's answer to Frans Stain.

naza,

So you'd prefer Cross at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback? If Mortlock was fit I'd be happy with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at FB and JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench, but I don't think Cross offers us much, and certainly doesn't offer as much potential as JOC (James O'Connor).

JOC (James O'Connor) has shown more that Turner, Mitchell and Hynes. He has been reasonable on the high ball, is without doubt a link man (probably has a longer pass than all except Cooper in the squad) and has proved strong enough in defense. He isn't a Burke or Latham, but, apart from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) he is the best we've got.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Deans has kept Turner for his pace, which he undoubtedly has. That said...Hynes plays better positionally as a winger in that he uses the tramlines better, but he's no speedster. But I agree it is a bit tough on Hynes. JOC (James O'Connor) may as well stay and get some more experience since this Test is "dead" for us, so to speak ( I know it really isn't, but we're well out of the 3N).
I'll be really disappointed if Gits plays at 10 again, and Barnes doesn't spend a lot of time there.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to stop being used as a utility, and leave him somewhere. I know Cross is 1-dimensional, but he does get over the advantage line well, defends pretty well and can offload. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has looked less effective this year at all those, except his D. But I agree he has more potential.
I really do not agree with Smith at 8, and have said it before. We didn't lose out by not having enough fetchers on the park, we were underdone in the ability to get over the gain line in close, poor pick and drive, and counter-rucking. I would rather see Elsom at 8 and Mumm at 6 than Smith and Pocock on at the same time.
The Bokke might lose from not concentrating hard enough on this game, but there is nothing there that should worry them too much.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's mighty painful to be going through this patch of defeats but I still think Dingo's selections have the RWC2011 in mind. With a few exceptions.

•The old bastards. It would seem Morty, Sharpe, Waugh, Baxter and Tucky have to shine much brighter than their potential opponents or they're out. Only Smith seems safe from this group. It's possible to mount a case to keep at least one experienced THP out of Baxter and Tucky; Matt, I hope you're reading this.
•The young pups. Robbie's backing himself to develop Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Alexander, Pocock, Cowan, Genia and Brown. They won't all make it (Brown?) but if most of them do we'll have a fair team next year
•The developing players. Blokes like Horwill, TPN, Turner, Hynes and Ioane will get every opportunity to develop their skills and cement their spots in the team
•Quality experienced players. Robinson, Smith, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Chisholm, Rocky, Barnes and Gits. At the moment we don't have enough of these in Australian rugby.
•Injuries. The untimely injuries to Barnes, Ioane, Caldwell (is he still ill?) and Shepherd have brought home to Dingo the relative lack of depth in Australian rugby, which I'm sure has surprised him. He should have stern words to the Super strength and conditioning coaches to ensure all his potential players are fit and well for 2010.
•2009 EOYT. I'm hopeful we'll see real progress and some heartening victories here. Only a loss to either Wales or Ireland would be acceptable.

If Dingo's master plan works we should start to win a few TN matches next year and peak in 2011.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
does deans have a master plan?
or is deans just trying to make the wallabies the crusaders 2.0?
i dont think he has fresh ideas, i think he has a clear mindset of what he wants and like his mentor john mitchell before him, is going to take far to long to come up with a plan b!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:
does deans have a master plan?
or is deans just trying to make the wallabies the crusaders 2.0?
i dont think he has fresh ideas, i think he has a clear mindset of what he wants and like his mentor john mitchell before him, is going to take far to long to come up with a plan b!

Crusaders 2.0 should equal a disciplined hard working team, what is a plan B? really

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
plan b would be working with what we actually have and helping those players play to the bst of there ability in a game plan that suits them. you would imagine that if a "SUPERCOACH" such as deans could do this, we would be able to cut out the silly mistakes and be at least 12.34618% more efficent!

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Lindommer said:
•2009 EOYT. I'm hopeful we'll see real progress and some heartening victories here. Only a loss to either Wales or Ireland would be acceptable.

Ireland, ok. But Wales? They're still bragging to all and sundry about beating us on the last EOYT. If they do it again they'll be insufferable. I'd rather we lost to Scotland. At least that way we could tell ourselves it's an aberration.

Status
Not open for further replies.