• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Andy Friend Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Fresh off the wires, Brumbies have confirmed Friend's sacking...

The Brumbies have sacked Andy Friend as coach of the Super Rugby team.
A spokesman for the Brumbies confirmed reports on ABC Radio of the sacking of Friend.
This follows media reports in the past week of internal grumblings within the playing group.
Friend was in the final year of his three-year contract with the Canberra-based side.
The Brumbies will hold a press conference at 1200 AEDT on Tuesday.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fresh off the wires, Brumbies have confirmed Friend's sacking...

The Brumbies have sacked Andy Friend as coach of the Super Rugby team.
A spokesman for the Brumbies confirmed reports on ABC Radio of the sacking of Friend.
This follows media reports in the past week of internal grumblings within the playing group.
Friend was in the final year of his three-year contract with the Canberra-based side.
The Brumbies will hold a press conference at 1200 AEDT on Tuesday.

Harrison to head coach!

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Andy Friend sacked by Brumbies

The ACT Brumbies have sensationally sacked coach Andy Friend after only two matches of the season.
The Canberra Times understands Friend has just been told he no longer has the club's support.
It is believed defence coach Tony Rea will take over as coach immediately.
It's unknown whether he is seen as a long-term coaching option, or whether he will be a custodian until Stephen Larkham or one of the other assistants gains enough experience.
Rea was appointed on Friend's recommendation after the pair worked together in the UK.
Friend told The Canberra Times recently of the precarious life of a coach.
"One of the things about being a coach is that you understand the fragile nature of your tenure," Friend said of the season.
"Regardless of what your contract is, there's always pressure in footy.
"The pressure is there if you've got three years left on your contract and you're not achieving what you should be achieving, or when you're not performing the way you think you should be performing."
Friend was in the third year of his contract after taking over Laurie Fisher in 2009.
The Brumbies sit in sixth spot on the table with one win and one loss.
However it was the 25-24 loss to the Melbourne Rebels that has sealed Friend's fate.
The Rebels had been humiliated 43-0 the week before, however the disjointed Brumbies failed to capitalise on their huge possession.
That defeat came amid revelations of team disharmony and a player push to have backline coach Stephen Larkham given more authority. Media reports over the last two days have amplified that pressure.
Friend was due to meet with chief executive Andrew Fagan to discuss his future after six weeks of the competition.
He had hoped to have an early decision on his position either to allow him to move his family if necessary.
"For me I've always wanted stability in the family," Friend said. "We've got two boys at school in Canberra and my idea would be to stay here and see them through [school]. In saying that, we're always very aware of the nature of this job and you can't control it sometimes."
However Friend has not even been given that chance to correct the situation.
Friend's saga brings back the memories of David Nucifora's sacking in 2004. Nucifora was the victim of a player revolt against his coaching style. He remained at the helm for the season and the team went on to win the title at home against the Canterbury Crusaders.
Canberra Times

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/andy-friend-sacked-by-brumbies-20110301-1bcdt.html

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As I said in the Blog post, this isn't good news for the Reds. Teams under turmoil, who have a coach sacked, invariably bring it together for their next match.

Bugger.

B

Burke's Boot

and to top it off, a Mungo in Tony Rea, who had a shit record at the London Broncos, is the new head coach. It should be a combined Larkham/Gregan ticket as i was told via the Old School Tie network that towards the end of the Macqueen Wallaby era those two were pretty much running the show.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ok. On the way to Brumbies now for CEO Andrew Fagan to address the media, if this taxi hurries up. Speculation has been mounting that senior players were confused by the messages from coaches and sought a meeting to clarify. Further speculation is that some players approached club captain Stephen Hoiles to take it further which he allegedly did.
Once the presser is done I'll have all the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Besides Larkham and Gregan are basically the Brumbies embodied in rugby.

and that Culture is what you need at a time of disripute.

R

Richard D. James

Yeah, but do we know if they can coach? Seems so typical of the Brumbies these last few years, jobs for the boys regardless of whether or not they are the most qualified. Just because Larkham and Gregan were great players doesn't mean they know how to coach at Super Rugby level.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
ite exactly what the brumbies need, they havnt moved on as an organisation since hey had success, now there going to go back to it even further, get rid of the players. they get payed to play, not to make the rules

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i'm waiting to here what BJ has to say from the presser before i rant too much. first feeling is that this is really fucked up.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
ite exactly what the brumbies need, they havnt moved on as an organisation since hey had success, now there going to go back to it even further, get rid of the players. they get payed to play, not to make the rules

the last time the brumbies had success they did this. they haven't moved on because their a player run team. they should be told to shut up and play.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Strange..... player grumblings and turmoil in the camp when Gits was at the Force...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom