• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Anyone play rugby in Bris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I haven't played any rugby since high school and have decided to give it another crack. I was wondering if anyone here plays rugby in Bris and has any advice on what to expect? I'd definitely be playing in the lowest grade available as my skills and fitness are going to need to be rebuilt (and probably aren't that good to start with). I've decided to go with Norths as my uncle is the head coach guy there.

C

chief

Your Uncle is Chris Roach?

Well in the lower grades, it certainly has a more casual feel to it, with fun expansive rugby not the typical ping pong shit you see going around. But it can still be intense don't get me wrong the skill level isn't necessarily low it's more old players giving it a hit out, some of them like to get into a few scraps and cheap shots going around everywhere. I'd definitely give it a go if I were you. 3rd and 4th grade rugby is definitely a good thing to do if you want more of the casual feel about it.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
One year, I got sick of talking about when I used to play and did a season with Easts in the Normanby Cup (Friday night 4th grade comp).

It was great, had a good time. It had been near 10 years since I last played and I felt like I had been hit by a truck a couple of mornings after a game, but the body hardens up soon enough and your fitness will return.

In the end I only did one season because of work, but would definately do it again.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Apparently in the Brisbane area (somewhere around Lang Park I think) is a team called the Queensland Reds but they havent really played rugby for quite a few years now :lmao:

R

Redsfan

TheRiddler said:
Apparently in the Brisbane area (somewhere around Lang Park I think) is a team called the Queensland Reds but they havent really played rugby for quite a few years now :lmao:

Good joke.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
chief said:
Your Uncle is Chris Roach?

Well in the lower grades, it certainly has a more casual feel to it, with fun expansive rugby not the typical ping pong shit you see going around. But it can still be intense don't get me wrong the skill level isn't necessarily low it's more old players giving it a hit out, some of them like to get into a few scraps and cheap shots going around everywhere. I'd definitely give it a go if I were you. 3rd and 4th grade rugby is definitely a good thing to do if you want more of the casual feel about it.

Yea he is (its Roche though). I definitely didn't inherit any of his ability though. Thanks for the response, that's basically what I'm looking for and sounds like it will be a good mix of fun and challenging. I kind of figured there'd be a lot of older blokes in those grades, my dad was telling me he was playing 3rd grade once (can't remember the side) and his centre partner was Geoff Shaw. So that says something.

D

Doc

You will almost certainly play a grade or two higher at Norths than other clubs, but if you are in the bottom team eg 3rd grade it will be a long year of forfeits and brutal loses.

But other than that Norths is as good as anywhere.

C

chief

Yeah, I'm not all too sure that Norths would have a 4th grade team however. University of QLD and Brothers all field those teams but clubs like Norths don't actually have one. They struggle to field a 3rd grade team some weeks. However 4th grade you typically get a lot more dust ups in back play with a few attempted punches that miss, and a referee who usually doesn't give a shit.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm also in a similar situation as Godfrey as I would like to play some rugby next year having not played since school. My local club is Ashgrove.

In the lower grades does size matter all that much? I'm a pretty lean guy (about 72kg), but I'm pretty fit and fast as I'm a runner and I've got decent ball skills (passing, catching, kicking). I'd probably be looking to start on the wing or have a go at fullback. So do you reckon it's worth having a crack, or am I just going to be smashed around week in week out.

G

Geronimo

Give it a go and find out, don't rely on others opinions. Have a crack and then you will know!

Status
Not open for further replies.