• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ANZAC Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Guys,

Just a gentle reminder that ANZAC Day is this Friday. While it is obviously for many just another long weekend, it would be nice if you could spare a thought or two for our servicemen and women from the past and present who helped make us who we are.

A dawn service or attending a ceremony would obviously be great, but simply just taking a second to give silent thanks and pay respect to some of our fellow Australians and Kiwi brothers is hopefully not too much to ask.

Drop a dollar or two into a Legacy tin as well if you can, to help the families of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

As a former soldier and a combat veteran, this is my big day; a chance to catch up with my brothers and talk about the old days and remember those who didn't make it home.

Regardless of your politics or philosophy on war, if you bump into an old soldier, say g'day. It means a lot.

Cheers.

daz

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Guys,

Just a gentle reminder that ANZAC Day is this Friday. While it is obviously for many just another long weekend, it would be nice if you could spare a thought or two for our servicemen and women from the past and present who helped make us who we are.

A dawn service or attending a ceremony would obviously be great, but simply just taking a second to give silent thanks and pay respect to some of our fellow Australians and Kiwi brothers is hopefully not too much to ask.

Drop a dollar or two into a Legacy tin as well if you can, to help the families of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

As a former soldier and a combat veteran, this is my big day; a chance to catch up with my brothers and talk about the old days and remember those who didn't make it home.

Regardless of your politics or philosophy on war, if you bump into an old soldier, say g'day. It means a lot.

Cheers.

daz

Daz what are your thoughts on how ANZAC Day is currently commemorated?

It seems to have grown far bigger than a day of reflection for returned service men and women.

As a veteran, do you feel that the way the day is approached is respectful to those of whom it is meant for?

The ongoing focus on the first and second world wars also troubles me. A close family member served in Afghanistan and I'm acutely aware of the amount of damage done to his comrades in both the Iraq and Afghan wars.

Thousands of young men and women will have to live with the daily trauma of PTSD and associated mental illnesses for the rest of their lives. The rates of suicides and attempted suicides in ex- and serving military ranks far exceed that of civilian populations.

Not to mention the impact on families who have lost loved one, and those who have found the young man or woman they farewelled has returned a markedly damaged person.

How can we as a society move beyond the commemoration of long-dead soldiers, and use days like 25 April to heal the wounds of the living?

Remembrance days are important, but perhaps a time will come for us move away from the focus on the honour/glory/valour of war, and instead reflect on the literal sacrifices of those who have served and work to make sure that that sacrifice is never need again.

Utopian maybe, but not a bad goal.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I should clarify; by 'long-dead' I refer to those who served in the early and mid 20th century, who seem to continue to receive recognition and respect and the expense of those who served in more politicised conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.