• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

are the IRB nuts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I can't see how Kuridrani was going to do anything else other than tip him upside down with this actions. 8 weeks seem correct. Unlike others, you can see what they were trying to do and how it's gone horribly wrong - I can't see it in this case.

But seriously, 4 week off for previous clean record & then another 1 week added to reflect the need of seriousness? What a muppet show.

If your going to set a minimum, set a bloody minimum then add on for repeat offences.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The most remarkable thing about this thread is that no one has given the 1 word answer to the question. YES.:)

I think he should have been suspended and 4 weeks is about right (I can live with 5), but the process itself is hopeless as evidenced by the wierd explanation as to how 5 weeks became the end result.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Publication1a.jpg
Spear tackles can also end up in court as Jarrod McCraken's did, with damages award to him.

It was describe in court as a "classic heat-of-the-moment rugby league circumstances" and that McCraken hadn't been lifted.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
georgina robinson in the paper tonight, makes the comparison to toby flood earlier in the year, virtually identical circumstance, ie two people in the tackle, he got off completely no ban at all

i just want consistency and transparency, and having set the precedent all tip tackles will now get at least 5 weeks

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For me it's 2 separate issues.

First, did Kuridrani deserve the length of ban he received? Absolutely yes.

Second, is the whole citing and judicial system a godawful mess that has needed major reforms for a very long time? Absolutely yes.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think the key issue here is that everyone is frustrated by the inconsistency.

I can't reconcile that Kuridrani's reckless but unintentional tackle is equal to the 5 weeks that Gimli Hore got for intentionally knocking the welsh player unconscious on last years EOYT when he stiff armed him from behind. Coupled with the fact his ban only ended up being for one game. Then you add the Horwill appeal appeal on the lions tour and all respect goes out the window.

If they want to be respected law makers and guardians of the game, their consistency has to improve out of sight.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the key issue here is that everyone is frustrated by the inconsistency.

I can't reconcile that Kuridrani's reckless but unintentional tackle is equal to the 5 weeks that Gimli Hore got for intentionally knocking the welsh player unconscious on last years EOYT when he stiff armed him from behind. Coupled with the fact his ban only ended up being for one game. Then you add the Horwill appeal appeal on the lions tour and all respect goes out the window.

If they want to be respected law makers and guardians of the game, their consistency has to improve out of sight.

Unbelievable. Kurudrani grabbed his legs and upended him. It looked intentional as any tip tackle ive seen.

What this has to do with Hores swinging arm, only that chip on your shoulder knows.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Unbelievable. Kurudrani grabbed his legs and upended him. It looked intentional as any tip tackle ive seen.

What this has to do with Hores swinging arm, only that chip on your shoulder knows.

He grabbed his legs lifted and then tried to set him back down when he realised how far up he had lifted.

Just wait until this happens to an All Black and we will see if you have the same opinion.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
How has this thread turned into a pissing contest?

Most of the posts agree that a ban was called for, but emphasise a need for reform to establish a clear framework that is consistently enforced.

I have little doubt we will be talking about the same issue of consistency after this weekend.

Reactions: BPC

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
He grabbed his legs lifted and then tried to set him back down when he realised how far up he had lifted.

Just wait until this happens to an All Black and we will see if you have the same opinion.

This has nothing to do with nationality on my part, if an AB tip tackles somebody, I expect the book to be thrown at them, just like here. Kurudrani tried to reverse it after he'd put him vertical and his head was on the ground. Come on....

I am the only one that sees the irony at having a pop at the IRB, by comparing a sentence to a tip tackle, to a sentence to a stiff arm?

There have been plenty of tip tackles to compare to... But charger chose to compare to whatever AB indiscretion he cld think of.

Kearns wld say I'm like a seagull on a chip - this ones got sauce on it

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the major problem that the IRB doesn't seem interested in dealing with is that if the referees don't red card an incident on the field (or at least yellow card it), it's unlikely to end up getting much of a review.

That seems to be the source of most of the inconsistency.

I don't think there is much point comparing tip tackles with punches, shoulder charges or swinging arms. None of those are in the firing line for suspensions like tip tackles are.

The only harshly dealt with pieces of foul play are eye gouging and biting. Even stomping isn't dealt with very harshly on most occasions.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Whoa there MR. This thread is more about consistency of the IRB judiciary than nationality.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whoa there MR. This thread is more about consistency of the IRB judiciary than nationality.

I think MR has a point though.

There's little point comparing a tip tackle with any other incident because there is a clear message that the IRB is viewing tip tackles very seriously and putting in harsher penalties as a deterrent (which is unlikely to actually work). They aren't taking the same stance with other acts of foul or dangerous play.

Andrew Hore would have probably been dealt with more seriously if he'd committed a tip tackle on Bradley Davies and injured him less seriously than his stiff arm which knocked him out.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep - that's exactly it Braveheart.

Something ironic about having a pop at the IRB for being inconsistent by comparing a tip tackle to a king hit from behind! I have no doubt at all, that all funds from all countries want the same thing - consistency. Nationality is totally irrelevant, but who could resist the opportunity for a little troll eh?

On another note, had to put my head in my hands the other day when watching the clip on youtube about the tip tackle.... O'Brien comes in swinging and Pollock keep tellin him to back off.. ... sux sux sux sux sux....

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just saw the incident for the first time last night. Completely and totally Kurindrani's fault. If you don't want your fate to be held with the IRBs citing and judicial process, don't do stupid things like that tackle. Pretty easy really.

The more I think about it, the more I don't really care if they are consistent or not. There's an easy way to let it be a non-issue.....

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
In an effort to try and find an AB doing anything close to this tip tackle, previous posters had to go all the way back to 2005.

So you see, the easy way to stop worrying about the inconsistency of the IRB judicary is to stop making silly tip-tackles. We haven't had to worry about it for a while now :)

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
How has this thread turned into a pissing contest?

Most of the posts agree that a ban was called for, but emphasise a need for reform to establish a clear framework that is consistently enforced.

I have little doubt we will be talking about the same issue of consistency after this weekend.

It was a pissing contest from the 5th post onwards. Thoroughly predictable, and confirms this place's reputation.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This has nothing to do with nationality on my part, if an AB tip tackles somebody, I expect the book to be thrown at them, just like here. Kurudrani tried to reverse it after he'd put him vertical and his head was on the ground. Come on..

I am the only one that sees the irony at having a pop at the IRB, by comparing a sentence to a tip tackle, to a sentence to a stiff arm?

There have been plenty of tip tackles to compare to. But charger chose to compare to whatever AB indiscretion he cld think of.

Kearns wld say I'm like a seagull on a chip - this ones got sauce on it

I only used Hore's example as that's the most recent example I could think of that involved what I consider clearly deliberate foul play (excluding Horwill's stomp in the Lions series ;) ). Before that the next most recent would be Bakkies headbutt which got 9 weeks.

I was trying to hilight the sentencing inequality between a deliberate attempt to injure someone and player motion which while clumsy, illegal and certainly warranting a 5 week ban, didn't have any malicious intent behind it . By the time Kuridrani had thrown all his strenght into tackling he would have been on the way up, at about waist height he would have been shitting himself but unable to stop the motion.

I think 5 weeks is right for Kuridrani. It was clumsy and potentially dangerous. This isn't an attack on the AB's so douse your flame and put down the pitchfork. This is purely and simply about the flawed IRB citing process and outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.