• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Are we expecting too much from the Wallabies as a brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
The lack of Free to Air coverage of the Super 15 and lack of a national competition in my opinion, is what is hurting the growth of Rugby in this country.

Just over 12 months ago I asked my son (who had been playing rugby for five years) who his favourite players were. I didn't say rugby players deliberately. My son replied 1. Cam Smith (QLD league) 2. George Gregan (who had not played in Aust for almost two years) and 3. Darren Lockyer (QLD league player).

We did not have subscription tv. My thought was that a lack of FTA tv was slowly strangling the future of the game.

So I broke down and subscribed. And what a season to do it.

I just asked my son who his favourite players were. After just watching the Super 15 season his answer was 1. Higgers. 2. David Pocock and 3. Beau Robinson (hard to tell my son is a flanker).

So for the future growth of the game, regular FTA tv during the Super season is essential. Unfortunately the short, inconsistent game times of the Wallaby season is just not enough for the rugby brand to penetrate the minds of the sporting public.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I think there are two issues here. The Wallabies' performance as a brand derives from their success in the market. The Wallabies' success as a team derives from their success on the field. Arguably you can't have one without the other. Without success in the market, we will hemorrhage players. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. And without success on the field, success in the market is impossible.

Having said all that, success on the field obviously comes first. We have a gifted generation of young players that have 20 tests more experience than their young competitors in other countries. I foresee a possible period of considerable success, and even All Black style dominance.

But achieving it won't depend on our backs. We already know they're good. It will depend on our forwards.

+1

Agree with almost everything written here. The lure of European/French money will make it especially difficult for NZ to keep it's top players in years to come, and the Boks will lose some critical pillars of their success after this RWC. If the Wallabies enjoy success on the field (and I think this RWC is really important), sponsorship will be there to keep the critical Wallabies in union and in Australia to foster additional S15 and Test success when the main SH opposition at least are likely to be trending down.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
+1

Agree with almost everything written here. The lure of European/French money will make it especially difficult for NZ to keep it's top players in years to come, and the Boks will lose some critical pillars of their success after this RWC. If the Wallabies enjoy success on the field (and I think this RWC is really important), sponsorship will be there to keep the critical Wallabies in union and in Australia to foster additional S15 and Test success when the main SH opposition at least are likely to be trending down.

NZ will lose some players but that is already happening and I don't think it will get a lot worse. Look at the players who have re-committed to the NZRFU this year - guys like Mealamu, McCaw, Nonu, Carter etc.

The lure of the Black Jersey is still stronger than the Euro for many of our players - not to mention that their value as players goes up considerably after pulling it on.

Actually, I think NOT winning the RWC for so long has in some way aided NZ in keeping players. Their desire to be a part of the team which finally brings Bill home must be hard to resist - they'll forever be legends in NZ history.

Status
Not open for further replies.