• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU fee structure change for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
I would interested in what others think of the upcoming fee change. I suspect as country clubs in particular start to hold their AGM's and begin their pre-seasons the real impact will be felt.

Look at a club like ours which has around 100 registered players under the old scheme, of which about 70 actually paid fees to the club. In other words the balance are 1 gamers, drop-ins, old-boys, 3rd graders etc, who under the old regime were covered by the ARU insurance but because they didnt pay fees to the club didnt pick up the 'kit' (shorts, socks, jackets etc).

So for 2014 we were required to pay $1800 per team (around $6,000 in total) to the ARU which meant players who registered were covered. We asked our players to pay the club a registration fee of $220 each, which after the 70 players paid gives the club roughly $14,000 with a balance after paying ARU of $8,000 for the kits and general rugby needs.

As of 2015, every player will need to pay $170 each to the ARU, now if the club wants those '30' drop-ins to play again next year then either they will be expected to pay the $170 themselves or the club will have to stump up the $5000 - just for drop-ins!!!

Roughly, for the club to have 100 registered players again next year we will need to find an extra $11,000 before we even look at the $$ for shorts, socks, and so on.

I would be willing to bet that the ARU has underestimated the dramatic impact this is going to have on regional rugby in particular.

A quick search finds quite a few news articles already flagging the issue locally

http://www.northweststar.com.au/story/2741045/fears-fees-rise-will-damage-isa-rugby/

http://www.areanews.com.au/story/27...ears-fee-hike-will-kill-country-rugby/?cs=671

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/2750355/draw-faces-delays-after-aru-shock/?cs=149

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...131097010?nk=20926941e5ab21fc024138b3b5b665aa

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...4xwNsMdHvCD9GA5yQ&sig2=1t7nQQ8FXwUCoEKn2iDZcg

Ad nauseum

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yes - I am very concerned about the impact on regional rugby. I am not sure what concerns me more. The fact that the administrators may not understand the implications of this on country rugby or that they do understand but they went down this path regardless.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes - I am very concerned about the impact on regional rugby. I am not sure what concerns me more. The fact that the administrators may not understand the implications of this on country rugby or that they do understand but they went down this path regardless.

Not much of a choice is it?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I would interested in what others think of the upcoming fee change. I suspect as country clubs in particular start to hold their AGM's and begin their pre-seasons the real impact will be felt.

Look at a club like ours which has around 100 registered players under the old scheme, of which about 70 actually paid fees to the club. In other words the balance are 1 gamers, drop-ins, old-boys, 3rd graders etc, who under the old regime were covered by the ARU insurance but because they didnt pay fees to the club didnt pick up the 'kit' (shorts, socks, jackets etc).

So for 2014 we were required to pay $1800 per team (around $6,000 in total) to the ARU which meant players who registered were covered. We asked our players to pay the club a registration fee of $220 each, which after the 70 players paid gives the club roughly $14,000 with a balance after paying ARU of $8,000 for the kits and general rugby needs.

As of 2015, every player will need to pay $170 each to the ARU, now if the club wants those '30' drop-ins to play again next year then either they will be expected to pay the $170 themselves or the club will have to stump up the $5000 - just for drop-ins!!!

Roughly, for the club to have 100 registered players again next year we will need to find an extra $11,000 before we even look at the $$ for shorts, socks, and so on.

I would be willing to bet that the ARU has underestimated the dramatic impact this is going to have on regional rugby in particular.

A quick search finds quite a few news articles already flagging the issue locally

http://www.northweststar.com.au/story/2741045/fears-fees-rise-will-damage-isa-rugby/

http://www.areanews.com.au/story/27...ears-fee-hike-will-kill-country-rugby/?cs=671

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/2750355/draw-faces-delays-after-aru-shock/?cs=149

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...131097010?nk=20926941e5ab21fc024138b3b5b665aa

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...4xwNsMdHvCD9GA5yQ&sig2=1t7nQQ8FXwUCoEKn2iDZcg

Ad nauseum
How many teams do you run with your 70 players? My old club in the Isa used 47 players for one team. It will kill rugby there.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many teams do you run with your 70 players? My old club in the Isa used 47 players for one team. It will kill rugby there.
This is exactly why this new initiative is so mind boggling.
You don't need to be a committee member of a grass roots club to understand how this will gut most clubs.
You merely have to attended a lower grade grass roots game to understand in most cases the coach's job is more about dragging in ring ins for the odd game or two,than it about coaching fundamentals or patterns.
People in ivory towers,making decisions about things that they have no idea....

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
It's disastrous.
Using conservative estimates (ie including minimum numbers to operate teams, but excluding those one or two games a year gypsy's) the change will increase the cost to our club members by $12K for juniors and $8K for seniors.
The increased cost to my region is in the order of $48K for Juniors and $43K for seniors.
There is no information forthcoming on what the money will be spent on by the ARU or the QRU, beyond what we already get (registrations database, access to education).

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Sucks from a rugby league perspective. Just going to feed more kids to the AFL who pretty much pay the kids to play their game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Without defending the charges in anyway, some of you will be surprised how much it can cost to play the other codes.

Directly from the Mt Gravatt Vultures QAFL website (Sic)

2015 PLAYER REGRISTRATION

2015 Player registration fees are as follow:
  • $440 for continuing players from season 2014,
  • $550 for new players
Brisbane-based Carina Junior Rugby League Club’s fees range from $150 for under-6 players and $300 for players from under-11 to under-18.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I certainly see a problem with making it more difficult for players to try things out without having to pay for a whole season.

It certainly seems that annual rego fees in all ages of rugby have been pretty cheap though from what people are stating and perhaps that is part of the problem?

I pay around $250 a season to play park cricket for a team we organise ourselves and that includes no playing kit.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Local registration fees around here are actually quite similar, but the question is; What do you get for your fees?:

Beacon Hill JRL (2014): Under 8’s through A Grade - $150.00
Multiple Child Discount: First registration at full fee and second and subsequent registrations $120.00
http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2887619
Manly Bombers AFL (2015): 1st child $150 2nd child $110 (Family $260)thereafter free
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-4015-49845-0-0&sID=182140
Manly Roos (2014): U8 – Opens
1st Child $150, 2nd Child $75, 3rd child $35, additional children free
http://roosrugby.com.au/rugbyclub/playing-with-the-roos/register-a-player/

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
With the codes we are competing with here (AFL and League), all the first graders and a lot of the dirt trackers are actually paid anywhere up to $100,000 pa down to $200 per game. None of those players are expected to actually pay any registration fees.

Means a half decent player can leave our code and have a $2,000 bonus for playing as well. Adds up.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Without defending the charges in anyway, some of you will be surprised how much it can cost to play the other codes.

Directly from the Mt Gravatt Vultures QAFL website (Sic)

That's to play in the state league in the QAFL. The coach and many players would be paid, the clubs have high level facilities and professional sports medicine and S&C support.

The league costs seem a bit expensive actually. Certainly more than local clubs in Townsville. At the senior level again, many players are being paid, and have quality support structures in place.

The fees at my club are based on the costs of operating a rugby club, with a small margin set aside for future projects. Our costs are comparable with most other ball sports.

It's important to compare apples with apples.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I certainly see a problem with making it more difficult for players to try things out without having to pay for a whole season.

It certainly seems that annual rego fees in all ages of rugby have been pretty cheap though from what people are stating and perhaps that is part of the problem?

I think people are getting confused with the cost of registration, and the changes in the fees that have been proposed.

In Queensland, under the National Participation Registration plan, it will cost roughly $65 more for a child to participate. In ACT the figure is around $60 I believe. NSW aren't passing on a state based levy, so the additional cost is $27.50 for a child. Senior increases are a little higher.

The problem that exists is that this money is going to the ARU and State bodies, and there is no communication or plan apparent to show what the money is being siphoned off for.

About $90K will leave my rugby community. This is money that our community could much better spent developing the game in our region rather than having the ARU and QRU "administer" it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That's to play in the state league in the QAFL. The coach and many players would be paid, the clubs have high level facilities and professional sports medicine and S&C support.

It's important to compare apples with apples
Fair enough Brendan.

Anyway, while it's an issue that there's a bit of a rise in cost for those paying the registration fee, the much bigger issue, especially for those down the grassy end is that no-one can now play without paying the fee.

Reactions: TSR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not defending the NPF in any way, in fact I believe it to be an absolute disgrace and an indictment on those running rugby in Australia.

However, I suspect that the reason that the ARU have moved this from being a $200/team levy paid for by the club, to a $27.50 levy paid for by the parent or player during the online registration process is to try to make the NPF as invisible as possible. This works ok with juniors because as shown in post #12, the fees probably aren't that different - although league and afl get more in terms of gear and access to development officers etc for their buck. The problem as many have indicated is at the subbies/lower grades/colts level, where the collection of fees is problematic - particularly if you don't have an upfront registrar or treasurer who will front blokes anywhere, anytime for their fees.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think people are getting confused with the cost of registration, and the changes in the fees that have been proposed.

In Queensland, under the National Participation Registration plan, it will cost roughly $65 more for a child to participate. In ACT the figure is around $60 I believe. NSW aren't passing on a state based levy, so the additional cost is $27.50 for a child. Senior increases are a little higher.

The problem that exists is that this money is going to the ARU and State bodies, and there is no communication or plan apparent to show what the money is being siphoned off for.

About $90K will leave my rugby community. This is money that our community could much better spent developing the game in our region rather than having the ARU and QRU "administer" it.

Absolutely correct - in fact on one of the other threads I demonstrated that if the NPF was kept at club level, the 5 Manly JRU clubs would pay in $35,000/year, which is enough to pay a full time development officer just for the district. If one factors in the NPF paid by local subbies and grade/colts then it's enough cash to fund 3 development officers from February to Spetember.

Do you reckon that this sort of service is on the agenda of the ARU? Or is this just a sneaky little cash grab using the common registration system like the big banks use ATM, credit card and account keeping fees?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Fair enough Brendan.

Anyway, while it's an issue that there's a bit of a rise in cost for those paying the registration fee, the much bigger issue, especially for those down the grassy end is that no-one can now play without paying the fee.
Agree the upfront cost is a huge issue for participation.

Again, just to make it clear - if implemented fully, the budgeted cost for our U19 and Women's players would be an ADDITIONAL $111.88 per player making subs for U19's and Womens around $330.
The change in our Senior Open's costs would be an ADDITIONAL $69.55 per head, making our Senior mens registration $360 odd.

$173 per player is required up front to be registered and insured, of which none goes to the club who actually have the expense of facilities and equipment. $75 goes towards insurance, and the balance goes toward Christ knows what at the ARU and QRU.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
...a $200/team levy paid for by the club, to a $27.50 levy paid for by the parent or player during the online registration process is to try to make the NPF as invisible as possible. This works ok with juniors ....

That's only true in NSW as far as I'm aware. They aren't passing on any State levy. The cost of the NPF is $67.50 per player in Queensland (although most teams will save around $30 per team in junior insurance costs).

It's the lack of consultation that I find most goading, as well as the sneaky timing of the implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.