• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus A v Portugal 26/08

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wilson elected to stay home to play finals for Brothers as I understand it.
This still astounds me. Can only imagine he was already on the outer in Eddie’s eyes because otherwise this definitely puts you there.
Did Seru Uru have a good game, hard to see how Eddie picks him above Wilson
I like Uru but don’t see him being a good Test player. He’s not Radike but will be a good Super Rugby player

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Swinton was great but almost got himself in trouble. Good teams would bait him into a card every game.
JOC (James O'Connor) was ok but not top level
Wright showed why can can't play wallabies. Simple handling error at one point.
Seeing Ryan Lonergan out there and how he played proved that fines deserves that wallabies spot. Fines is a step above. Lonergan has goal kicking up his sleeve though.
Anderson is a big lad and could have a future with wallabies but he is competing against a lot of class to ever get in. Same as peitch. Plays well but good luck breaking into the current back 3.

Toole looked good when he came on. Pace and attitude was so good.

Most disappointing thing for me was set piece. Was shocking. I know the team is thrown together but it was pretty bad for professionals.

No stand outs for wallaby selection that's for sure. I know this is a 3rd choice 23.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Shiggins - you condemn Tom Wright for one knock on, while giving JOC (James O'Connor) a pass when he missed at least 4 or 5 tackles, maybe more. Was he the initial miss on the Porto No 12 in the lead up to a try? He certainly then missed the winger after the No 12 passed the ball to him. JOC (James O'Connor) imo was the poorest performer on the "A" side.

I reckon Spanners Foley might just have played himself into the RWC squad. We will need a real No 10 backup behind Carter Gordon at some stage and Foley is much more dependable than Donaldson.

It surprised me that after Hanigan replaced Uru Pete Samu didn't at least pack at No 8 for our own scrum feeds. He has extensive experience at 8 while I'd hazard that was Ned's first game there at this level.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Interesting one
Again 2nd half to 1st half like Tonga. Is Aus a played them again next week could win by 40 or more
Missed many chances and just needed time to gel
Some solid performances
No LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Wilken who were injured
Also Holloway, hooper, Cooper, Wilson and hodge would have made more of a difference

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just finished watching it, does anyone know if Canham was inj in the warm up maybe?

Some strange replacements, Swain starts & Hanigan moved from 20 to 19 but replaces Gleenson at 8 with Samu at 7.

Toole given 20 would have thought with DP & LA both coming through as back rowers before 7's that this would have been the perfect game for Toole to start & one of those 2 to play the Kwagga utility role.
No idea what happened to Canham but yes we only had Hanigan on the bench as a non front-row forward replacement.

He replaced Uru and played #8. So both locks went 80.

I agree, Toole should've started and DP play as a backrow reserve whilst Hanigan replaced a lock.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Saw some highlights of the Force v Cheetahs game and Harry Potter could quickly work his way into Wallaby/Aus A squads with our Centre Depth.
Yes he was very good, was playing at full back as well so obviously pretty versatile. I was expecting him to play wing for force this year with Spink at 13, Donaldson 15 etc but will wait and see. Look forward to seeing what he does this year