• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

aus front row

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
As a non Wob fan I would personally clean robbie Deans' boots after practice for the next year if he drops Robinson.

In fact, I think I might find a few people who whould lick them clean.

Am sure you would be not be able to that over Skype unlike your esteemed compatriot, David Alred...

Or had you be there, there'd be not much to do seeing as Robbie has brought in TT McGahan...he'd not get his boots dirty at all then!

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree. I luv the scrums. The problem that people have with them i.e. collapses and resets, is largely an Australian phenomenah brought on by years of selecting non-props i.e. those that are poor scrummagers, as props e.g. Tilse, Ryan, Daley - even Slipper, because of their greater workload around the field. A failed experiment that continues to this day. Can anyone tell me why Tilse has been at the Tahs for 7 years and played 10 games (this was reported in the Daily Tele newspaper this week)? Does this reflect the broader issue of ongoing poor selections at the Tahs which led to the Brumbies winning a number of competitions on Tahs "rejects".

Re the best props. Palmer and Kepu are the standout tightheads scrummaging wise and Robbo is the standout loose. Alexander is the next tier but an ok sub at loosehead for RObbo even he can keep is bind up on engagement.

Unfortunately it is daylight after that. Have been watching SLipper scrum for a while and cant understand why he continues to get mentioned favourable in dispatches.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Slipper is still having trouble with his shoulder, apparently. I'd be suprised to see him in green and gold in the near future. Maybe the break in the super season will do him some good.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree. I luv the scrums. The problem that people have with them i.e. collapses and resets, is largely an Australian phenomenah brought on by years of selecting non-props i.e. those that are poor scrummagers, as props e.g. Tilse, Ryan, Daley - even Slipper, because of their greater workload around the field. A failed experiment that continues to this day. Can anyone tell me why Tilse has been at the Tahs for 7 years and played 10 games (this was reported in the Daily Tele newspaper this week)? Does this reflect the broader issue of ongoing poor selections at the Tahs which led to the Brumbies winning a number of competitions on Tahs "rejects".

Re the best props. Palmer and Kepu are the standout tightheads scrummaging wise and Robbo is the standout loose. Alexander is the next tier but an ok sub at loosehead for RObbo even he can keep is bind up on engagement.

Unfortunately it is daylight after that. Have been watching SLipper scrum for a while and cant understand why he continues to get mentioned favourable in dispatches.

Ryan is doing pretty well each week at THP this year and Tilse has done pretty well at LHP when he has got an opportunity in the past I wouldn't describe either as poor scrummagers.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This question will be better answered when the Tahs play the Brumbies. You need to select props with the full package full stop. The game is just to quick these days to carry low workrate players. Palmer has been immensly improved in his workrate this year. As for Hooker, Moore is well ahead of TPN and just a far more complete player.

It would be more productive to expand this discussion to include the entire tight five.

The last time we had a dominat Wallaby tight five was EOYT 2009 and the tight five was 1 Robinson, 2 TPN/Moore (can't remember), 3 Alexander, 4 Chisholm and 5 Horwill.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
TPN seems to be finding good form and playing more minutes. I would now say that daylight is third not second.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This question will be better answered when the Tahs play the Brumbies. You need to select props with the full package full stop. The game is just to quick these days to carry low workrate players. Palmer has been immensly improved in his workrate this year. As for Hooker, Moore is well ahead of TPN and just a far more complete player.

It would be more productive to expand this discussion to include the entire tight five.

The last time we had a dominat Wallaby tight five was EOYT 2009 and the tight five was 1 Robinson, 2 TPN/Moore (can't remember), 3 Alexander, 4 Chisholm and 5 Horwill.

Moore was the starting hooker...

The scrum was exceptional, but with neither lock having any experience of running a lineout it was shite...

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The other thing to take into consideration is this:

The rest of the world thinks that the Aussie scrum is a joke, despite there being several memorable games in the last few years where we have utterly crushed full strength scrums from England, Ireland, SA, Wales and Scotland.

NZ have usually not been a terrifying prospect, as they have a similar mentality and don't use their scrum as a method to impart dominance on us. The aforementioned teams DO, and until we put (properly, and for a good few YEARS) the percieved weakness to bed, by dominating every scrum we oppose, we will continue to get shafted by refs.

The Ireland WC game is the perfect example. Anyone with half a brain could see that the Irish were hitting the mud first in well over half the collapsed scrums, yet Lawrence penalised US! Take out the reputation factor, and that game may have turned out very differently, as we may have had a chance to actually get a bit of momentum up.

Bearing all that in mind, we simply have to go for the strongest SCRUMMAGING front row:

Robinson
Moore
Palmer

Nau
Alexander (to replace whichever prop is buggered, most likely Palmer, AFTER we've set a good solid 50mins of good scrummaging. He's a good tighthead, but not better than Palmer, and not better at LH than Fatcat. Superb impact sub)

With Horwill packing in behind there, the other 2nd row needs to be a Brad Thorn esque mongrel, who can support the tighthead side of the scrum. Who THAT is, remains to be seen, and is one of our 3 problems positions, the other two being 8 and 6. (No, Palu is not the answer, and neither is Elsom).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree that we need to pick our strongest scrum - but why then pick Alexander who has consistently struggled since 2009 (when, to be fair, he was excellent). I don't think it is all his fault given that he is plays loosehead all Super 15 then gets picked at tight head, but the outcome is the same. He consistently collapses. I would rather see Kepu picked.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robinson
Kepu
Alexander or Palmer
Slipper

Alexander's the weakest scrummager
Palmer has the worst workrate

It is a bit of a conundrum

In retrospect, with Slipper and Kepu able to provide a superior workrate and solid scrummaging from THP, I just can't see Deans selecting Palmer.

P

Paradox

We'll see. Kepu was soft as butter in contact at the world cup. Yet to be convinced.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
We'll see. Kepu was soft as butter in contact at the world cup. Yet to be convinced.

Agreed. Kepu was rubbish in his last season of international rugby. Palmer's workrate has been massively increased this season, he simply has to be the tighthead option, ESPECIALLY against Wales (where we will get shafted if we're not clearly dominant in the scrums)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I still think there needs to be a horses for courses approach. If the track is heavy and wet why not pick a pot plat to achor the scrum and drive at the lineout. Nobody is that fleet of foot in the wet so the reduced mobility of a Palmer for instance is not as big a liability. Bring on Kepu at 50 to continue to anchor the scrum and up the workrate and ball running.

If we have a dry firm track start with Kepu and bring on Alexander or Slipper after 50 for the same effect.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Horses for courses is good.

I'd prefer Deans just told the front row to play their hearts out or be replaced. No better motivation than that. We have three good options in each position.

Kepu, Palmer and Slipper at TH
Moore, TPN and Charles at Hooker
Robinson, Alexander and Cowan at LH.

Just a shame you can't keep all of those guys in a 30 man squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.