• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus rugby areas of depth and weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The telling thing for me is that ANY discussion on here around the Wallabies ALWAYS decends into who we play in the centres and people's various preferred combo's there and the fact that we have S.Timani in the squad.

To me, that tells me where the percieved problem is. Centres (the #13 and the actual combo depending on the 13) and our locks.

Absolutely. In the centres, for me the issue is the combination. I like both Horne and especially McCabe, but I don't like them playing 12 and 13 together. They are too alike and that pairing doesn't offer nearly enough in attack. Cooper, Barnes, McCabe sounds a lot better though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The biggest problem we've had in establishing a centre pairing is injuries.

In the 2011 3N and RWC, Barnes had been injured so wasn't really an option. That meant we mostly played Cooper, McCabe and Fainga'a.

In the June tests, Cooper was injured so we had to play Barnes at 10 and were left with McCabe and Horne at 12 and 13.

Now we have all those players available but there will be huge hesitancy to trial Cooper, Barnes and McCabe at 10, 12, and 13 due to McCabe not having played 13 before and it being a new overall combination.

Most people think this is a strong combination that we should go with. We just need a prolonged period where they remain injury free and we can establish them as a combination.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On a completely alternative track, I believe that the following are areas of weakness in Australian Rugby:

a. Coaching. We do not have enough experienced quality coaches to service the top level clubs (S15) let alone international teams. IMHO the Coach development programme is somewhat haphazard beyond Accreditation Level 2.

b. Basic Skills development. Catch and pass is very poor at all levels. For a nation that has invented its own game of oval ball kicking, the kicking from the hand is poor, as is place kicking, drop kicking (M Dunning excluded), and overall tactical kicking decision making and option taking. These skills are learned in the juniors and simply enhanced as players advance in maturity and experience. It is very difficult to correct poor basic techniques at Colts level and above.

c. Media Awareness and Marketing. Look at the quality of our journalists, Foxtel buffoons and the lack of coverage on FTA TV and in the media. If the journalists are too lazy to research and write the stories, then ARU Media unit must do the hard yards for them. Who knew that there is a major international Sevens tournament coming up at North Sydney Oval? Coverage for the national Schoolboys test matches?

d. Refereeing. While impressive steps have been taken recently with overall referee development and coaching, Our best is a recycled Darknesser.

e. Strength and Conditioning. We needed to headhunt from the Darkness for the Wobs S&C role. Perhaps we need to formalise the S&C qualifications (if we haven't already done so) within the overal ARU Education and Qualification system.

f. National Cohesion. There is far too much Qld vs NSW petty point scoring, politicing and distrust that is holding back overall national development, particularly at the administrative and governance level.

g. Gameday Stadium Management. Sing the anthems slowly so the crowd can keep up. Use massed choirs. At 1/2 time organise rugby related stuff (juniors and womens rugby), not rock bands. Open the oval for kids to walk on the hallowed turf after the players leave.

Fix these and many of the player issues disappear.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
HJ theres a few points there I am tempted to comment on, but one leaps out at me. Do we really need an elite strength and conditioning coach at the Wallabies level? Now that would be an indictment on our Super Rugby teams.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
HJ theres a few points there I am tempted to comment on, but one leaps out at me. Do we really need an elite strength and conditioning coach at the Wallabies level? Now that would be an indictment on our Super Rugby teams.

I think the national coach should have some sort of final say on the provincial programs.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
It was implied by the OPs sentence re a lack of world class props, second rowers, and loosies.

Loosies are the least of our worries but thats where it came from.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I don't consider Fainga'a a world class hooker by any stretch of the imagination, and if that was what was implied my grammar obviously needs a tune-up. He's not even the best hooker at the Reds, regardless of how well he's played lately.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The biggest problem we've had in establishing a centre pairing is injuries.

Now we have all those players available ...

We just need a prolonged period where they remain injury free and we can establish them as a combination.

Braveheart, you jinxed McCabe - out for 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.