• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Fullback Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know its early but as I was sitting on the throne I was considering my Wallaby team (no link) I'd select.

Really unsure about the fullback spot. What's everyone's thoughts as to who you think SHOULD be our fullback come end of S14?

The candidates I see are:

- Drew Mitchell
- Cameron Shepherd
- Mark Gerrard
- Adam Ashley-Cooper
- Sam Norton-Knight.

My preference is probably Shepherd, but I am worried about his speed and will be watching closely for the rest of the season. Drew's probably next on the list for mine, although I am intrigued by SNK. My only concern is his seeming lack of counter attacking threat.

For mine Gerrard and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are at the bottom of that list (obviously the likes of McLinden, Turner & JOC (James O'Connor) are further down the list). Gerrard's pace, or lack of it, still bothers me, or is it more me holding onto a stigma unfairly? That memory of him being run down by McCaw in that Brisbane Bledisloe a few years ago burns.

And AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback just frustrates me with those damn midfield kicks.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dunno... I think maybe the turd you dropped might be better at fullback then most of these guys.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is my fave player out of that lot, but he's not really a fullback. Two-Dads (SNK) has been really solid for the tahs, and I feel fans of other teams unwittingly agree as you really don't hear much being said about the guy.

Might be bias but I'd put SNK in there, with Mitchell as the backup.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting, Quade would be my Aussie 10 at the moment, with Gits back at 12.

Would be great to have a 10 whose first choice isn't to kick all the time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cameron Shepherd is a class act IMHO and my first choice on a dry track

SNK deserves to be the back up in the squad

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
Interesting, Quade would be my Aussie 10 at the moment, with Gits back at 12.

Would be great to have a 10 whose first choice isn't to kick all the time.

Yes.

Cooper to 10, Gits to 12, Barnes to 15 suit you?

I'd leave the Gits-Barnes and try to develop Cooper as a 15.

I am a very strong supporter of Shepherd - very clearly our best 15 in ability - but have a nasty feeling that he may be a chronic crock.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Biffo said:
From the list offered, very clearly Shepherd.

My choice: Q. Cooper

Disagree. Whilst I like Cooper at 10, it is impossible to win whilst having a 15 you would describe as 'error prone'. And, as Moses has pointed out on more than one occassion, that can certainly be said about Cooper's game.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
barbarian said:
Biffo said:
From the list offered, very clearly Shepherd.

My choice: Q. Cooper

Disagree. Whilst I like Cooper at 10, it is impossible to win whilst having a 15 you would describe as 'error prone'. And, as Moses has pointed out on more than one occassion, that can certainly be said about Cooper's game.

Disagree with your disagreement. I quite agree that Cooper can be judged as "error prone"; however, Cooper is young and can be confidently expected to overcome this perceived failing - he has improved dramatically in this regard in the last year.

Wasn't one C. Latham regarded (rightly) by most as error prone in his early career?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Is SNK available for anything after the S14 or is this hypothetical?

Like fp, I reckon Shep is total class. He's a Joe Roff kind of player, with a big build, good boot, good speed, good footy sense. He's totally solid plus a little bit more.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Biffo said:
he has improved dramatically in this regard in the last year.
The clip in my avatar is from last weekend. This is a decent pass from the halfback under no pressure and he's completely ballsed it. Imagine if he was trying to play 10 from Burgess' finest... and this wasn't an isolated incident either.
Entertaining? Sure... Wallaby fullback material? No farking way!

Biffo said:
Wasn't one C. Latham regarded (rightly) by most as error prone in his early career?
so when he improves later in his career we could consider him for the 15 role.. till then how about someone who can catch, pass and kick?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I believe he should be available for this season, as Vickerman and Elsom were for the 08 EOYT

Scarfman said:
Like fp, I reckon Shep is total class. He's a Joe Roff kind of player, with a big build, good boot, good speed, good footy sense. He's totally solid plus a little bit more.
It's the little bit more that concerns me, he must have put on 15 kilo's since 2007 and has lost a bucketload of speed.

F

formeropenside

Shepherd would be my choice, although I'd keep an eye on Hynes kicking and McLinden's development - you cant coach speed, and those guys have it.

I'm not sold as Mitchell as fullback: he's too flaky in defence and too selfish in attack, as a rule.

On a wet track I would heed the wisdom of LG and consider Gerrard, or possibly SNK.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses said:
Biffo said:
he has improved dramatically in this regard in the last year.
The clip in my avatar is from last weekend. This is a decent pass from the halfback under no pressure and he's completely ballsed it. Imagine if he was trying to play 10 from Burgess' finest... and this wasn't an isolated incident either.
Entertaining? Sure... Wallaby fullback material? No farking way!

Wasn't an isolated incident as in he dropped lots of ball that game, he dropped lots of ball this year, or he dropped lots of ball last year?

Biffo said:
so when he improves later in his career we could consider him for the 15 role.. till then how about someone who can catch, pass and kick?

Shame that rules out the entire NSW backline. In all seriousness this time. Not one of them has all the skills.

The closest to it is Shepherd and Gerrard, but Gerrard is even slower than Shepherd. Gits and Barnes are perhaps others if you want to play people out of position, along with, yes, Cooper. Wish Barnes was a better runner of the ball, though.

Yeah Scarfie, I had the same thoughts about Shepherd watching him in action vs the Brumbies. Joe Roff had a great rugby brain - he wasn't the fastest runner, or a particularly elusive one, but gee his positioning was great and he just seemed to read play and pop up in the position required to take the final pass and stroll over untouched. Was a class act on the field (mostly). Did the small things well. Another player like that is (was?) Staniforth.

The thing about Shepherd, though, is he appears deceptively hard to tackle at times - he's a strong runner. He's got a huge boot on him too, which Roff didn't really have - but he just needs a bit more control. However, it's a still a bit premature to say that Sheperd is in Roff's class, unfortunately. Maybe if he wasn't so injury ridden...

Out of the cattle we have, my first choice would be Shepherd, second Gerrard for his tactical kicking, third daylight, fourth Mitchell. I don't think that SNK is test class at fullback as he's not a strong runner of the ball.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'd agree if SNK were injured, however his catching, passing and kicking are solid. As is his hip, just ask Giteau.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shepherd looked pretty quick on Saturday, he looks like SNK, needs a bit of space to open up

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses said:
I'd agree if SNK were injured, however his catching, passing and kicking are solid. As is his hip, just ask Giteau.

When have you seen SNK break a tackle? How often do you see SNK step a player?

Beale has the potential if he can get his long kicking game right.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I never said he breaks tackles or steps players.. I said he can catch, pass and kick.

Though he did make several breaks last week, more due to running good lines and popping through holes in the Highlanders defence..

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:

Like fp, I reckon Shep is total class. He's a Joe Roff kind of player, with a big build, good boot, good speed, good footy sense but terribly brittle bones and susceptible soft tissues. He's totally solid plus a little bit more.

I am a total Shepherd believer, in terms of capability. He's in a class of his own as a Wallaby 15 candidate ... for the present. However, that present is anything from 5 minutes to 5 weeks. I would not bet one cent, even at very big odds, on his completing the S14 this year.

... hence my adjustment to your opinion.

In the absence of Shepherd, the cupboard of competent/potentially competent Australian 15s would be a very lonely place for a visitor.

I think it prudent that the Wallabies start to develop options for Shepherd and none of the apparents appeals - all have well proven failings and don't have much time left to correct them.

As 5/8 and inside centre are well covered by the encumbents and gifted aspirants, young Cooper's place in a Wallaby 15 might only be somewhere else - i.e. at 15. Why not give him a try?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
[
Biffo said:

Shame that rules out the entire NSW backline. In all seriousness this time. Not one of them has all the skills.
[/quote]

Not watched the Tahs since Rob Horne clocked on a year ago?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So Moses? You're serious? You think SNK is the best option for fullback for the Wallabies? Cause he can catch, pass and kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.