• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Fullback Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

OK, please excuse my question here but where is the one eyed one and ;
secondly I am watching McLinden very very closely. To me he has a great counter attack somewhat reminiscent of Latham and every time he hets the ball he has a real good go.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
McLinden's fast proving to be the value buy of 2009. Not sure about his kicking game, but his attacking skills are top shelf. Having said that I would have liked to seen him give that last pass to Hynes on Friday and let Hynes find the tryline.

He and SNK have been the most consistent of the 15's over the four games with the latter posessing a superior boot but not as potent in attack.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Have heard that SNK has signed with the Blues for 3 years. Have also heard he is a little crook and kicked the girlfriend (the real one, not scarfy) to the spare room. Hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the team.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Shep is the best of the bunch at the moment. His allround game is very good. He almost reminds me of a young Leon MacDonald the way he played vs the Brumbies. This will surely bode well under Deans. Positional play is very good and his kicking game is reliable.

Gerrard's defensive positioning has been going okay this year. He is the best place kicker of pretty much any FB in the comp thus far. But if you were to play him you would want a couple of real speedsters like Ioane and Hynds on the wings.

Hyphen could get a jersey in a lead up test.

Just think Sheps allround game, he doesn't have to be an out and out speedster, just has to inject himself into the attacking line at the right time, something Rangi does very well at. Shep has very good size for a FB and IMO he's no slouch.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Might not have been McCaw, I think I am confusing his slow run being chased down by a flanker with Gerrards... still pretty sure Cam was caught by someone he shouldn't have..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, he played well, didn't he. Hard to believe he has only played a few professional games of rugby. Looks very assured out there.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty said:
Yeah, he played well, didn't he. Hard to believe he has only played a few professional games of rugby. Looks very assured out there.

I thought Schiffcoske (?) was terrific, but this bloke is already above the highest standard he reached. Well bought, Queensland.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Isn't Shepherd injured again? I thought Gerrard and Shepherd were the only two real fullbacks in the country that should be considered, but the way McLinden has been playing and now that Shepherd seems to be keeping going off injured, McLinden looks a real chance.

What I don't like about Gerrard is that he still appears a little lazy on defence or around the park at times - but some of that is his playing style. What I like about both Gerrard and Shepherd is that they both should allow you to play both the running and kicking game - something I doubt McLinden can do so much.

T

TOCC

Mclinden has definetly exceeded expectations, and whilst i think he is the form fullback at the moment his game is really only suited to the Reds style, unless Robbie Deans intends to bring that style into the Wallabies(which i doubt he would) then i think someone like Gerrard, SNK or Shepherd are more suited.

What Mclinden does very very well, is providing a additional ball player in the backline, its very similar to backlines like the Brisbane Broncos with Karmicahel Hunt been employed as another ball player.

IMO Gerrard is definetly to slow for wallaby fullback, and unless Shepherd has regained his pre-2008 speed then he is to slow as well, SNK(as much as i hate to say it) is probably the probable fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.