• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie super 14 team of the week Round 2 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
15.Mark Gerrard: kicked well out of hand & scored a good solo try to win the game.

14. Nick Cummins: Best of a bad bunch

13. Digby Ioane: Played out of position & still made linebreaks & backed it up with some solid defence.

12. JOC (James O'Connor): Didn't see enough ball but when he did he was dangerous.

11. Turner: 2nd best of a bad bunch

10. Quade Cooper: He did it all against a very good Stormers side. His defence has improved also.

9. Ben Lucas: Didn't even play 40 minutes but showed more than any other aussie halfback on the weekend.

8.Richard Brown: Just pips Leroy Houston & Stephen Hoiles but Browns tireless work in defence & around the ruck is priceless.

7.Pocock: Just rock solid again he is making a big push for the Wallaby 7 jersey.

6.Higginbotham: All over the park in attack & defence got the better of Springboks Luke watson & Schalk Burger.

5.Van Humphries: Had another good game he's a tough & gets stuck in Nathan Sharpe could learn something from the old battler.

4.Dean Mumm: Just gets better every week, nothing flash the bloke is class

3.Al Baxter: Smashed his opposite in the scrum

2.TPN: Shades Moore again this week, scrummed well & his throwing was good & he gets low when running the ball something a lot of aussie forwards should practice so they don't get driven back all the time.

1.Benn Robinson: Refer to Al Baxter & he is always solid in defence & attack.

Looking at my picks you'd think the Reds had won but even the most one eyed Brumbies fan must admit that the Reds played the best Rugby of all the states this weekend.

5 x Tahs 5 x Reds 4 x Force 1 x Brumbie

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty much my team as well. Would probably have Hynes for Turner and Valentine for Lucas. Possibly Leroy for Brown and I would have Moore ahead of TPN.

P

PhucNgo

Noddy said:
Pretty much my team as well. Would probably have Hynes for Turner and Valentine for Lucas. Possibly Leroy for Brown and I would have Moore ahead of TPN.

Marcia or Deni for Tina? And that's not bad bad Leroy for Brown is it :lmao:?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've only seen about 50 minutes of the Reds game & Hynes was off for most of it, as for Stephen Moore I thought the Brumbies Scrum was pretty pissweak & he is part of the front row which gets a lot of credit when the scrum goes well so he also has to take part of the blame when things don't go well plus his throwing wasn't great a couple not straight although I thought the ref was a little strict.

Valentine was lucky not to be carded in the 2nd half for that punch so I marked him down because if he had been caught that may have swung the game in favour of the Cheetahs.

A few blokes had good games & missed out Caldwell from the Tahs, McLinden from the Reds & even Sharpe was unlucky not to be picked at outside centre this week.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
You could really only pick Baxter from the Tahs..what a terrible game! Has Al's game really improved that much or was the Chief's prop that shite? It was embarrassing to watch.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I would of loved a mic to pick up on the sledging before the scrums! There was a heap of mouthing off going on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
spectator said:
You could really only pick Baxter from the Tahs..what a terrible game! Has Al's game really improved that much or was the Chief's prop that shite? It was embarrassing to watch.

Robinson is the only dominant scrummager in aus. Al, Nau and he are doing a very good job so far.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Didn't see the Reds game, but the other 3 Aussie scrums all went better than last year. Fantastic news.

Apart from that, some of my picks would be:

15. Gerrard (just to prove that I don't always (pick SNK)
8. Brown
7. Smith
3. Baxter

R

rugbywhisperer

15. Mark Gerrard - without him the ponies in deep poopka
14. Digby Ioane - still only a winger but perform well out of position
13. Timana Tahu - starting to get a grip
12. Rob Horne - I like the boy - he is showing class and demeanour well above his years.
11. Peter Hynes - another class player
10. Quade Cooper - Kurtley is now putting real pressure on this position
9. Josh Valentine - playing a mush better brand of rugby -
8. Richard Brown - absolutely relentless
7. Pocock - read same for Richard Brown.
6. Higginbotham - again - relentless
5. Van Humphries - Really putting his act together - Nathan Sharpe was better this week but not good enough yet
4. Dean Mumm - the bloke is class - want to see him on the side though
3. Al Baxter - Really starting to shine now the monkey has been killed, smashed his opposite in the scrum
2. Tai McIsaac - does an awful lot of work that doesn't get seen, very dependable
1. Benn Robinson - Continuing on from the EOY tour - great workload.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would of loved a mic to pick up on the sledging before the scrums! There was a heap of mouthing off going on.

Your not wrong things nearly boiled over & the frustrated Chiefs prop threw the ball at Baxters head.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Here's the SMH's team of the week with the usual bias:
Australian team of the week

February 23, 2009 - 7:46AM

Each week, Greg Growden and Rupert Guinness pick the form team from Australian Super 14 players.

15 Mark Gerrard (ACT) (1)
14 Digby Ioane(Qld) (2)
13 Ryan Cross (Force) (1)
12 Stirling Mortlock (ACT) (2)
11 Haig Sare(Force) (1)
10 Quade Cooper (Qld) (1)
9 Patrick Phibbs (ACT) (2)
8 Wycliff Palu(NSW) (1)
7 George Smith (ACT) (1)
6 Scott Higginbotham (Qld) (1)
5 Nathan Sharpe (Force) (1)
4 Will Caldwell(NSW) (1)
3 Al Baxter (NSW) (2)
2 Stephen Moore (ACT) (1)
1 Benn Robinson (NSW) (2)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:

Each week, Greg Growden and Rupert Guinness pick the form team from Australian Super 14 players.

14 Digby Ioane(Qld) (2)
11 Haig Sare(Force) (1)
8 Wycliff Palu(NSW) (1)
7 George Smith (ACT) (1)
4 Will Caldwell(NSW) (1)
3 Al Baxter (NSW) (2)
Bias? If you're referring to NSW players, apart from Caldwell I'd say it's pretty good. I'd have Humphries instead. Not sure about Cross either.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
Ash said:

14 Digby Ioane(Qld) (2)
11 Haig Sare(Force) (1)
8 Wycliff Palu(NSW) (1)
7 George Smith (ACT) (1)
4 Will Caldwell(NSW) (1)
3 Al Baxter (NSW) (2)
Bias? If you're referring to NSW players, apart from Caldwell I'd say it's pretty good. I'd have Humphries instead. Not sure about Cross either.

Ione played outside centre :nta:

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
cyclopath said:

Everytime I cut and paste their teams I'm going to say bias, no matter how much it is or isn't ;)

Their selections of Phibbs and Sharpe, in particular, puzzle me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:
cyclopath said:

Everytime I cut and paste their teams I'm going to say bias, no matter how much it is or isn't ;)

Their selections of Phibbs and Sharpe, in particular, puzzle me.
So you're saying they're biased against form players!! ;D

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
Ash said:
cyclopath said:
Everytime I cut and paste their teams I'm going to say bias, no matter how much it is or isn't ;) Their selections of Phibbs and Sharpe, in particular, puzzle me.
So you're saying they're biased against form players!;D

Pedallist, Naza's saying Growden and Guinness are biassed against Reds players. G&G, writing for the SMH for primarily a New South Wales market, pick players from winning teams in preference to a team yet to bother the scorers with 4 points and coming stone motherless last. That's what he's saying.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:
cyclopath said:
Ash said:
cyclopath said:
Everytime I cut and paste their teams I'm going to say bias, no matter how much it is or isn't ;) Their selections of Phibbs and Sharpe, in particular, puzzle me.
So you're saying they're biased against form players!;D

Pedallist, Naza's saying Growden and Guinness are biassed against Reds players. G&G, writing for the SMH for primarily a New South Wales market, pick players from winning teams in preference to a team yet to bother the scorers with 4 points and coming stone motherless last. That's what he's saying.

Do you mean Naza as in me or Naza as in Naza?

Not really, I think that Guiness and Growden are equally biased against the Brumbies, Force and Reds. Every now and then Growden writes a cracker talking down the Tahs and up the Brumbies, just so he can take a perverse pleasure when the Tahs succeed and the Brumbies fail. It's a shame he spoils it a few weeks later when he reverts to his usual Tah-loving ways.

I suspect many of their baffling selections (like Waugh week one, Palu, Sharpe, Phibbs week two) have just as much to do with not having a clue about the game of rugby as bias; but bias alone sounds better.

Personally, the way the teams have been playing have excited me. It looks like the Reds are on an upwards spiral and Tahs on a downwards one. Don't you agree, Lindommer?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lindommer said:
Pedallist, Naza's saying Growden and Guinness are biassed against Reds players.

How'd I get roped into this ? Haven't even commented on this thread until now. But agreed, that is their tendency, especially with regard to Phil Waugh vs George Smith.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I you believe that G and G have REAL bias against non-Tah players, then you believe that Aussie Robbie has stronger bias against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.