• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussies abroad 2011-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
My favourite southern-hemisphere-off-season pastime has become keeping an eye on expat Australians in NH rugby.

(This over-in-a-blink EOYT notwithstanding).

The fees for Setanta are apparently a step too far with the financial comptroller. I rely on the generosity of strangers (youtube and other sources of video highlights) and foxtel's Top 14 coverage for brief glimpses of familiar faces in unfamiliar contexts.

I watched Matt Giteau make his debut in the last 15 minutes of Toulon's draw on the weekend. He had a very nice first touch I think at outside centre straightening the attack from deep and stepping through Castres' defense soon after coming on and chipped well to the corner a little later. Playing outside Jonny Wilkinson may give him the chance to watch a lot of drop goals and penalties being kicked.

Matt Henjak was out injured, I think, in the same game.

Other players I've been trying to follow include Luke Burgess and Will Chambers, who have started brightly I think for Toulouse and Munster, but who I haven't seen recently. I get the impression Brock James is drifting out of favour at Clermont?

Any other updates, highlights or news on aussies abroad?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
My favourite southern-hemisphere-off-season pastime has become keeping an eye on expat Australians in NH rugby.

(This over-in-a-blink EOYT notwithstanding).

The fees for Setanta are apparently a step too far with the financial comptroller. I rely on the generosity of strangers (youtube and other sources of video highlights) and foxtel's Top 14 coverage for brief glimpses of familiar faces in unfamiliar contexts.

I watched Matt Giteau make his debut in the last 15 minutes of Toulon's draw on the weekend. He had a very nice first touch I think at outside centre straightening the attack from deep and stepping through Castres' defense soon after coming on and chipped well to the corner a little later. Playing outside Jonny Wilkinson may give him the chance to watch a lot of drop goals and penalties being kicked.

Matt Henjak was out injured, I think, in the same game.

Other players I've been trying to follow include Luke Burgess and Will Chambers, who have started brightly I think for Toulouse and Munster, but who I haven't seen recently. I get the impression Brock James is drifting out of favour at Clermont?

Any other updates, highlights or news on aussies abroad?

Brock James couldn't make it in Super rugby. But who know's what may have happened had he stuck around.

I have always Giteau would look better in a more outside position. However before i make a statement like that i would be interested to know how he differs in pace to say someone like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Gits certainly didn't look out of place in that company, he scampered across the ground pretty well in a bit of space.

I've relied on youtube for glimpses of Chambers for Munster but looks like he has made a solid start. He carried well and recycled three times in the 41 phases to ROG's winning dropgoal, this time against Northampton. This move could be a really good one for him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chambers won the game for Munster against Castres. Came on and scored the try when they were behind to put them 3 down then made a very good break to put them in dg position.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The other guy I would like to see more in action is Luke Burgess. The highlights I've caught from the Toulouse site have him making plenty of trademark snipes around the edge of the ruck and continuing the great form that wasn't really utilised in the RWC.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Oh come off it! ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can someone help me here, what's the best side to find out team lists pre-game for the Top 14?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
An absolute travesty Burgo didn't get more time in WC. It seems Robbie completely forgot what Burgess offered off the bench the previous year, especially when Genia wasn't at his normal best.

To be fair to Genia i don't think that it was his fault entirely. The Australian forwards were put under tremendous pressure which makes it hard for any half back. I think that all the half backs in the tournament suffered from this. That being said in situations like that Burgo's abilities for sniping runs and dive passes (whilst not super accurate) definitely worked in favour of good ol fashioned Aussie running Rugby.

D

dylan24

Rocky Elsom

Just wondering were you Aussie's watching Rocky when he played for Leinster? H-Cup final the whole stadium were chanting Rocky, chap is a legend! Im a Leinster supporter in Ireland.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Just wondering were you Aussie's watching Rocky when he played for Leinster? H-Cup final the whole stadium were chanting Rocky, chap is a legend! Im a Leinster supporter in Ireland.

Yeh, he got a fat contract from the brumbies because of it. Oh yeah and the Wallabies captaincy. Oh and a book deal as well.

He's done f**k all since

B

BRIX

Giteau's debut:

[video=youtube;6TCyGe7eZEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCyGe7eZEI[/video]

Burgo highlights for Toulon v Gloucester:

Look how his defensive smarts and communication shuts down the play @ 00:38, his quick tap @ 2:57 leads to a try, and quick tap and support play @ 4:47 epitomizes everything that's good about Burgo besides the crunching tackles.

Hope to see him back next year with the accumulated savoir faire.

[video=youtube;sFcqaoehfwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFcqaoehfwg[/video]

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Francis Fainifo is doing well with Stade Français and surprisingly David Lyons too. Fainifo is becoming a fan favourite, especially with the kids.

Dane Haylett Petty is also doing a great job at Biarritz. He's one of the few in that team who plays at a high level.

D

dylan24

Yeh, he got a fat contract from the brumbies because of it. Oh yeah and the Wallabies captaincy. Oh and a book deal as well.

He's done f**k all since

He'll be our hero forever. Yeah he has been quiet as of late, not much news at all. He need that money to keep buying those rugby boots he cuts open to fit his unusually large feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.