• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
An entertaining game and an unexpected win (to me at least).

Best for Aus A imo were Gleeson (very busy in attack and defence and invariably made ground in contact), Ryan Lonergan (best long passing game of any of the Aus No 9s; perfect kicking from the tee), Donaldson (managed the second half effectively; two try assists, one with a kick for Naiwaqanitawase, one with a dummy and line break), Frost (80 minutes effort, strong lineout operator and slick hands) and Campbell (consistently beat the first, second and often third tackler; good under the high ball).

Those who didn't impress were Hanigan (tried hard but pushed backwards in contact; did he even take a lineout or make a steal?), Neville (sliding down the locking order imo), Creighton (poor defensive efforts led to a couple of Japanese tries), and Vunivalu (very poor game awareness, ineffective under the high ball, ineffective ball carrying).

Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) and Harry Hoopert looked good from the bench.

The rest did their jobs.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) was the standout for me. Limited minutes but didn't put a foot wrong. Made the right decisions, solid under the high ball, was an attacking threat, scored a great try. Looks confident and assured. Couldn't have asked for more. Goodbye T. Wright.

I don't think there were any other standouts that made me think "get them into the squad now". Some solid without being outstanding performances. Gleeson continues to show promise. He would be next off the line.

None of the other forwards impressed me. None were strong in the contact zone. Some hardworkers but we need more impact if they want to take the next set-up at test level. Frost looked okay and is still so young so will develop nicely. His pace is a point of difference. These games are great for players like this.

Then there's the flip side of players who I think have played themselves out of contention like Hanigan. He was getting man-handled by the Japanese wingers (one was 100kg+ but I still expect more physicality from a tall flanker). It's been several years since he was last in the wallabies and it seems he hasn't made any progress in the strength and impact departments.

Donaldson was great with the boot, and showed some nice vision. Although his pace and running game would worry me at test level, he just seems so slow and I can't see him being a running threat at all at Test level.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dont think he knows.
Yes. He has some big gaps in his game. Mostly defence and hes vulnerable to the ball kicked over his shoulder. He will get eaten up at test level. On the other hand Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) looks in stellar form.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Ah I forgot about Campbell. He looked good. Although a couple of mistakes, and there was that one pass he did running out of our own 22 which could have been catastrophic (it's the kind of thing Tom Wright does).

I hope those couple of things don't work against him, because he was great with ball in hand and just looks at home at fullback.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ah I forgot about Campbell. He looked good. Although a couple of mistakes, and there was that one pass he did running out of our own 22 which could have been catastrophic (it's the kind of thing Tom Wright does).

I hope those couple of things don't work against him, because he was great with ball in hand and just looks at home at fullback.
Got a little of Kellaway about him. Another bloke I'd pick over Wright (moving Kellaway to 14).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A number of this A team showed up tonight. Campbell, Daugunu, Gleeson excellent, Hanigan and Frost both put in a huge amount of work, Donaldson took control of the game in the second half, some of the subs were excellent, particularly Wilkin and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase).

Thought Daugunu made some poor decisions, and it looks like he's lost a bit of pace. Although overall had a solid game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Got a little of Kellaway about him. Another bloke I'd pick over Wright (moving Kellaway to 14).

I hope this happens on the EOYT.

Or just swap Wright for Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) who is looking pretty damn good under the high ball this season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If it all came down to that game, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is the outside back I'd be taking on the spring tour...

Again, you can see what all the coaches see in Nos Lonergan, but just needs some set piece improvement.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Vunivalu, Daugunu, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), Campbell all played well. See ya later Tom Wright.

I wouldn't be picking Tom Wright in the near future based on his recent performances, although he did start the test season strong against England... but...

but...

Those players you listed weren't all entirely that convincing against... Japan XV.

Japan?

No...

The Japan XV.

Context.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't immediately pick all of them ahead of Wright, more just stating we're building some wing depth and have guys almost ready so we can get rid of Wright who frankly does not have the discipline to play Test rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Really enjoyed that game. Japan were great value and they play a fine brand of footy. I also liked a lot about the way we played too and these games are great experience for the younger blokes.

Gleeson looks fantastic and so does Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). We'll see these guys in the senior side before too long. Frost was excellent too and the halves I thought controlled the game pretty well for the most part. As the game went on our handling got better and we scored some nice tries off good angles and offloading in contact.

Our work at the breakdown could have been sharper in the first half but it was also due to the excellent body height and leg drive the Japanese players were using. Our boys were getting blown off the ball, but we corrected that to a degree in the second 40.

These A games will prove to be very beneficial longer term and I'd like to see us doing it every year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It'll be interesting to see how much this is costing RA and what they determine the ROI is. I think WR (World Rugby) funded us mainly for the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) was the standout for me. Limited minutes but didn't put a foot wrong. Made the right decisions, solid under the high ball, was an attacking threat, scored a great try. Looks confident and assured. Couldn't have asked for more. Goodbye T. Wright.

I don't think there were any other standouts that made me think "get them into the squad now". Some solid without being outstanding performances. Gleeson continues to show promise. He would be next off the line.

None of the other forwards impressed me. None were strong in the contact zone. Some hardworkers but we need more impact if they want to take the next set-up at test level. Frost looked okay and is still so young so will develop nicely. His pace is a point of difference. These games are great for players like this.

Then there's the flip side of players who I think have played themselves out of contention like Hanigan. He was getting man-handled by the Japanese wingers (one was 100kg+ but I still expect more physicality from a tall flanker). It's been several years since he was last in the wallabies and it seems he hasn't made any progress in the strength and impact departments.

Donaldson was great with the boot, and showed some nice vision. Although his pace and running game would worry me at test level, he just seems so slow and I can't see him being a running threat at all at Test level.
I recon Donaldson will prove you wrong he is a lot quicker than Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor).

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Some are obviously judged differently to others. Gleeson I though was good, but wasn’t an incredible performance. Hanigan had a good game, if he plays like that a couple of more times he will be on the plane for EOYT. Vunivalu is harshly judged, he had a good solid game and didn’t make as many mistakes as many believe. Alround there wasn’t any poor performances (minus Creighton). Donaldson I was critical of in the first half but was sensational in the 2nd when the game opened up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Some are obviously judged differently to others. Gleeson I though was good, but wasn’t an incredible performance. Hanigan had a good game, if he plays like that a couple of more times he will be on the plane for EOYT. Vunivalu is harshly judged, he had a good solid game and didn’t make as many mistakes as many believe. Alround there wasn’t any poor performances (minus Creighton). Donaldson I was critical of in the first half but was sensational in the 2nd when the game opened up.
Credit where it's due. I was rolling my eyes at Donaldson's first half performance because I really haven't rated him much in the past. But he was great in that second half. That kick through following the break was brilliant. The exact kind of break the Wallabies absolutely never capitalise on.

Status
Not open for further replies.