• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

naza said:
Spook said:
naza said:
Spook said:
Funny how Naza didn't mention that.

How about you actually watch the game before spouting off ? Oh, and forgive me for not writing a Lee Grant essay at 3 in the fucking morning.

Last week you gave Gits no credit when he had a good game so I've every right to be suspicious of your "opinion". I've seen the game now so you can settle down but I'm still right to question your objectivity. ;D :fishing

You don't watch the game but it doesn't stop you arguing with my analysis. That's just flat out trolling as far as I'm concerned.

If Giteau had had a good game last week, we would have won.

Nice one Nazareth. Please note I quoted a 3rd party who credited Gits. Trolling my ass. It's easy to bash with offering credible alternatives.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Spook said:
naza said:
Spook said:
naza said:
Spook said:
Funny how Naza didn't mention that.

How about you actually watch the game before spouting off ? Oh, and forgive me for not writing a Lee Grant essay at 3 in the fucking morning.

Last week you gave Gits no credit when he had a good game so I've every right to be suspicious of your "opinion". I've seen the game now so you can settle down but I'm still right to question your objectivity. ;D :fishing

You don't watch the game but it doesn't stop you arguing with my analysis. That's just flat out trolling as far as I'm concerned.

If Giteau had had a good game last week, we would have won.

Nice one Nazareth. Please note I quoted a 3rd party who credited Gits. Trolling my ass. It's easy to bash with offering credible alternatives.

You mean like how I was calling for Burgess at halfback, Moore at hooker and Mumm at blindside eons before that happened ? And how I've posted that Giteau isn't a 10 and I'd rather see Ben Lucas there instead ?

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Noddy said:
The Chosen said:
disco said:
As is typical, the Wallaby backs are killing us. Their white line fever, poor support play, and lack of patience is infuriating to watch.

Naza is spot on, I said to Noddy that our backs think they have to score off 1st phase everytime & they have no idea how to build pressure.

I would have Gits in the team but not at flyhalf I'd play him at Inside centre & start Barnes at 10 if he is fit.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't a fullback move him to 13 or the bench.
Mortlock must be on borrowed time, give me Smith or Horwill as captain.
Move over Phil Waugh, it's Pococks time.
Tahu always goes to the outside & turns over ball he needs a full season of super 14 & then Aussie A before he can even think about another Tri-nations test.
Move Giteau back to 12 & concentrate on Barnes, Cooper & Beale.

Everyone keeps saying give Tahu a full season at S14- well I hope it doesn't happen at the Waratahs! Frankly for mine I'm looking forward to a full season of Tom Carter & Rob Horne in the centres!!!!!!!

As a QLD fan I hope you stick with Carter! :thumb

Do Qld have fans?
Carter did the job asked of him last season. Certainly had a much better year than your boys(including NSW cast-off!)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Chosen said:
Carter did the job asked of him last season.

Yeah? I guess I can see it now:

Link: Ok Tommy. What we want from you this year is anonymity. Don't do anything ok? Tackles? Miss 'em. And when you get the ball, if you decide to catch it, just truck it up, because let's be honest, you don't have the skills to do anything else. And another thing. Be. Really. Slow. Ok? Got that? Good job.

The Chosen said:
Certainly had a much better year than your boys(including NSW cast-off!)

Yes, he's doing great over there with the Wallabies, and Australia A. Like Morgan T, Quade, Berrick, Benny Lucas, Digby. He's right up there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Havent read through all the posts but myself think the Italianos is a way stuffer oppo then in the past and clearly Nick Mallet have lift that poofball lot. I watched them when they played the Bokke on Newlands and then they show a much tougher side of what they use to be.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Noddy said:
The Chosen said:
Carter did the job asked of him last season.

Yeah? I guess I can see it now:

Link: Ok Tommy. What we want from you this year is anonymity. Don't do anything ok? Tackles? Miss 'em. And when you get the ball, if you decide to catch it, just truck it up, because let's be honest, you don't have the skills to do anything else. And another thing. Be. Really. Slow. Ok? Got that? Good job.

The Chosen said:
Certainly had a much better year than your boys(including NSW cast-off!)

Yes, he's doing great over there with the Wallabies, and Australia A. Like Morgan T, Quade, Berrick, Benny Lucas, Digby. He's right up there.

Why on earth would you want Digby back after his (non)display on the weekend?
Is Morgan over there-thought he was still recuperating from his woeful effort with Randwick in Sydney GF.
Who the hell is Benny Lucas??

R

rugbywhisperer

Is Morgan over there-thought he was still recuperating from his woeful effort with Randwick in Sydney GF.
Who the hell is Benny Lucas??
[/quote]

See, you were going great until you asked who Ben Lucas is.
Digby - useless -
Morgan T - please keep him at Randwick, don't want him back in Qld

Ben Lucas - Qld Reds No 9, very talented, plagued with injuries for the past year or so but will challenge for the top spot or at least be the best backup once Cordingly or the selectors realises he is past it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Noddy said:
I noticed Waugh. I noticed him give away the first two penalties of the match and then play a fair bit of scrum half.

The first penalty was directly the fault of the next two players arriving - Moore and one of the locks. Waugh had the ball and was about to force the turnover when those two idiots drove him clean off his feet. The second one I can't even remember.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

Do Qld have fans?

Non display? Why because he didn't kick the ball away & did run the ball back with success all day. He was the only back apart from Barnes & Cooper that could walk off with thier heads held high.

1st 10 minutes Barnes is on we're creaming them the next 55 minutes the Italians look like causing an upset until Cooper comes on & saves our arse.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Only just watched it (golf weekend away ;D).
I won't add to the analysis of the forward play since we are over-blessed with experts here except to say Mumm really is making the most of his opportunity, and well done Alexander. Have to agree that Waugh must be marking time with Smith and now Pocock around.
Backs?
Burgess - too often just picks and goes without really checking if it's an option - then looks silly trying to find one. It'll come off sometimes and he'll look brilliant, but not this time.
Barnes - too short on field to say. Bugger!
Gits - as mentioned elsewhere, not too good apart from goal kicking. Almost got outside a couple of times but forced the passes more often than not.
Tahu - some good attacking play, busts and half-busts including the pass to Turner; one on one tackling OK, but positionally still a bit unsure. I still think he'll be good if they can get him some longer hammies. He was unlucky to crock it - got unbalanced going for that ball and landed awkwardly on 1 leg - pop!
Morty - a bit hit, more miss, especially some poor option taking with ball in hand then onto foot.
Ioane - few opportunities, hard to bag him on that.
Turner - similar, took the try well, bit of a defensive blunder for the Italian try (with Tahu).
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - NOT A FULLBACK!!
Cooper's cameo - good, but hard to praise too much on that.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree with what you are saying Cyclo. What is in Cooper's favour is that he is a natural 10 and, with the possible exception of O'Connor, the only one left in the squad. That Gits is trying to go outside from 10 is a sign something is wrong.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Noddy said:
Co-bullshit-ugh

Go back and watch the tape - Moore binds with someone and drives straight into Waugh who already had his hands on the ball. An Italian forward was only just arriving and wouldn't have taken Waugh out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy said:
yeah, Scotty, I'm not wing expert but it was an obvious misread by Tahu (again) and then it seemed Hynes gave up on his outside man? Was he too flat in defence?

I couldn't watch the game again but I saw a replay of the tries again on a rugby show.

- It looks bad for Tahu but they had 4 on 3 and played it beautifully - it was a super try. A skip pass is always going to do damage with an overlap if the passer reads the play right. The ball skipped the player Tahu was marking and he wasn't close enough to the guy who received the ball. Maybe he should have lined up more opposite the receiver but then the skipped guy would have had a gap if he got the pill. There were a couple of Aussies coming over but they probably wouldn't have made it to the skipped guy.

Turner should have turned and chased, not because he had any chance to catch the try scorer after he got the golden ball, but because something could have happened to make the try scorer slow down- a bad pass behind to delay him or a bobbled ball. Turner is usually good on these 5 percenters and I bet he got a bit of a rocket from the coaches.

- The Quade Cooper try should never have been awarded. They showed a shot from behind the Aussies and Mortlock ran into Parisse, of all people. Parisse had aimed up on Mortlock, but would have had time to get Cooper if he hadn't been on the deck. It's not so clear on the side-on shot.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah it was pretty blatant Lee. I doubt whether Mortlock thought he was opening a hole, but it still happened...

P

PhucNgo

Hang on. I'm not Quad's biggest fan, but there was still a lot of work to do after Mortlock's so-called impedence. I think it was probably marginal at best and shouldn't be judged by Mortlock's reaction. Give the kid a go. His next move was to kick the ball into touch on the full. ..... Nobody's talkin' about that.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
That occured exactly in line with where I was sitting in the 2nd half and I was surprised when the try was awarded.

Had the Italians not thrown their arms up they probably could have still tackled him and is a lesson in playing the whistle.

The actual law of Obstruction would probably mean it should have been a penalty, but as we often use the league term of "Sheperding" then you can see why it was allowed to pass. But I guess you win some and you lose some and we have definately been losing our fair share lately.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for showing that Gagger.

PhucNgo said:
Hang on. I'm not Quad's biggest fan, but there was still a lot of work to do after Mortlock's so-called impedence. I think it was probably marginal at best and shouldn't be judged by Mortlock's reaction. Give the kid a go. His next move was to kick the ball into touch on the full. ..... Nobody's talkin' about that.

Nobody is chipping Quade: he did two lovely left foot steps and was entitled to be tackled - but it is beside the point. If the obstruction happened to us we would be livid, and if it happened to the All Blacks in a RWC Q/Final they would still be moaning about it.

It wasn't "so-called" or "marginal" either - the vision offered by Gagger didn't have the sequence they had on the Kiwi rugby show "Reunion". It used a long lens shot from behind the Wallabies goal line and you can see Mortlock bumping into Parisse and knocking him over.

Mortlock had contact with Parisse just before the Italian skipper realised the Aussie skipper wasn't getting the ball. I reckon he could have stayed on his feet and moved over and tackled Cooper because Quade would have nearly ran into him as Mortlock vacated the area. But the Italian was throwing up his arms appealing to the ref for a penalty and paid the price of not playing to the whistle.

But that is also beside the point, which is, that an attacking player ran in front of a ball runner from his team and came in contact with a defender who was in an area to tackle the ball runner. Mortlock was about 8 metres ahead of Cooper when the contact happened and it was before Cooper caught the ball.

It should have been a penalty to Italy but if Parisse had tried to stay on his feet, or got back up, and tried to tackle Cooper the obstruction would have been more noticeable, or the tackle made.

PS - I don't think that anybody has commended Giteau in that movement for switching the ball back 10 metres to Quade, and to Quade for running back to get into a fullback position in the first place to offer an alternative runner. That running backwards effort to go forwards is almost 24 carat Crusaders stuff.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NTA said:
Noddy said:
Co-bullshit-ugh

Go back and watch the tape - Moore binds with someone and drives straight into Waugh who already had his hands on the ball. An Italian forward was only just arriving and wouldn't have taken Waugh out.

done, and I'll give you that on the 2nd one. Watch the first one again. Waugh comes in from almost the Italian half back's position.

Status
Not open for further replies.