• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia: now the worlds most hated team, and whinging saffas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The thing is, those who clamour the most about "wanting respect for the ABs" are talking more about subservience - they want others to tug their forelock and avert their gaze when talking about the mighty ABs. I would hazard a guess that the players don't share that warped perspective.
Saying you, as a player, are confident that your team can match or beat the ABs is normal as a professional player; why play otherwise if you're whipped before you even run on? For some Internet heroes, that equates with lack of respect.
As for the feverish rantings of a few from the Republic, who gives a fuck what they think? Sensible rugby fans from SA can see these outcomes for what they are - the vagaries of sport.
I don't want us to adopt a siege mentality. Others do that shit so much better.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
You basically said lets change the way we are because of how the world looks at us and then said we should not care how the world looks at us...

At least that's how I read it

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
You basically said lets change the way we are because of how the world looks at us and then said we should not care how the world looks at us...

At least that's how I read it

I was trying to say if I've stuffed up my point, who cares if were hated, feed off the boos, be who we are and not try to please people. We don't need to be glamourous or play running rugby to please crowds, we need to be effective, it's back to basics for all involved, enough with this flashy sht, that can come when the basics are locked down.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was trying to say if I've stuffed up my point, who cares if were hated, feed off the boos, be who we are and not try to please people. We don't need to be glamourous or play running rugby to please crowds, we need to be effective, it's back to basics for all involved, enough with this flashy sht, that can come when the basics are locked down.

So basically apply a philosophy to our national team that was vehemently argued against during the Waratahs fan forum? Going to have to agree to disagree on this one WJ

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So basically apply a philosophy to our national team that was vehemently argued against during the Waratahs fan forum? Going to have to agree to disagree on this one WJ

That's fine, I believe as a national team we need to play that way for two years to provide a structure that allows players like quade, beale or JOC (James O'Connor) to apply there trade.

It's the old adage "earn the right to spread the ball" we didn't pretty much the entire cup.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's fine, I believe as a national team we need to play that way for two years to provide a structure that allows players like quade, beale or JOC (James O'Connor) to apply there trade.

It's the old adage "earn the right to spread the ball" we didn't pretty much the entire cup.

I agree with you that we should earn the right to spread it wide by bashing it up the guts. However I think we do still need to play "glamourous or ... running rugby to please crowds". I think if we are to grow the game we still need to play exciting, adventurous rugby, we need to stand out from mungo ball et al. Sure we're not going to win all the time but at least we'll do it as Sam Iken says: as god intended. Hell, It's what I like most about aus rugby, it defines which teams i enjoy watching and those i don't.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree with you that we should earn the right to spread it wide by bashing it up the guts. However I think we do still need to play "glamourous or ... running rugby to please crowds". I think if we are to grow the game we still need to play exciting, adventurous rugby, we need to stand out from mungo ball et al. Sure we're not going to win all the time but at least we'll do it as Sam Iken says: as god intended. Hell, It's what I like most about aus rugby, it defines which teams i enjoy watching and those i don't.

The old adage and the attractive rugby you're talking about are part of the same deal.

The forward play that earns you the right to go wide can be exciting as hell. This is where we need to toughen up. No more slow ball, more crushing dominance at the breakdown.

People have correctly noted that NZ played to Joubert's style of rewarding the dominant side at the breakdown and threw everything (including the kitchen sink) into every breakdown. We should have done it on Sunday, and FFS honestly, we should be doing it week in and week out.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we've somehow argued our way onto the same side... If we're going to bring it back to basics how about we get a 10 who can tackle and a 12 and 13 who can pass. I would argue that we need to scrummage better but the sad fact is, besides robinson coming back this is about the best we've got (atm), what frustrates me is that we have a 10 who can tackle and centres who can pass (as well has truck it up and defend). I'm of the opinion that our national team shouldn't have to learn the basics, if they don't have them don't pick them, let them learn that stuff at club rugby...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
We just need a fit and firing Robbie Horne and our centre combo will be amazing, I wouldn't mind Robbie and the little bloke from QLD who's surname I can't spell getting a run.

I'm not calling for us tone boring, I'm calling on us to put greater meaning on the basics. Playing barrack for fifty minutes, playing field position and settling nerves is going to open the game in the last 30 minutes for quade to come on and run riot.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Australia most hated team in the world? I doubt about it when I read kiwi press and even some of australia's one.
It seems that France sunk another time a boat in Auckland's harbor...
We're lucky it is only a 4 million people nation anyway

Reactions: DPK

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm glad we agree. Seeing that Rugby is my religion and the Tahs are my church, you must be my Pope WJ (my god being the holy trinity of Filthy Waugh, Le Fuse and Matt Burke). Anyway, time to sleep.

T

tdizzle

There is always going to be some niggle but I've got a problem with the amount of 'patting of heads' after an opponent makes a mistake that went on last night. Both teams were guilty of it. Prove your point by playing good rugby instead of using an eight year old child's reaction; this isn't league.

Reactions: DPK

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There is always going to be some niggle but I've got a problem with the amount of 'patting of heads' after an opponent makes a mistake that went on last night. Both teams were guilty of it. Prove your point by playing good rugby instead of using an eight year old child's reaction; this isn't league.

The patting of heads has happened so often the thing that gets me, and is what I have always said, until Kearnsie or a commentator says he doesn't like it noone seems to see it or comment. It is where a lot of so called experts get their opinions from I think.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The patting of heads has happened so often the thing that gets me, and is what I have always said, until Kearnsie or a commentator says he doesn't like it noone seems to see it or comment. It is where a lot of so called experts get their opinions from I think.
All the teams are at it and it is shit. Would like to see an IRB directive stopping it throughout the game, rugby is a game based on respect and this head patting bollocks reminds me of fecking football, hate it!!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
As I said to a friend on Friday, the Wallabies love to talk a good game and whenever they do, they play like chumps.

In the last decade they have. John Eales never tolerated this rubbish. Just because they are confident doesn't mean they have to tell the whole world they are confident.

Australians tend to be cocky in general but the Wallabies have always been the exception to the rule, so it sadens me that they now run their mouths off like they do.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I loved Phil Kearnes the player but it is like the pot calling the kettle black.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Look we know we are the good guys.

Keep it classy i think.

However i do think that this consistant booing of Cooper can be turned into a positive. Remember when Paul Roo's played for the swans and everyone would call out Roo's...

Drown the haters out with COOOOO-PER

But like i say we should take the high ground.

NZ can be haters, remember who helped you guys out after Christchurch. Add to that the natural disasters we had to look after ourselves without getting over there to help you out. Stop hating us because all your family keep leaving NZ to come here for work and opportunity. We have never been any good at Rugby except for a brief period in the 80's and 90's why kick a dog whilst it's down all the time?

As for SA if there are ruck infringements, quit blaming the ref. Blame your captain John Smit. Because if i was skipper i would have said 'hey this ruck ball thing isn't working lets try mauling it'
Also remember SA when you blokes when opposition teams were dropping like flies for political reasons we were there to give you a game.

But like i say keep it classy.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Here is a new idea. How about they and we all start respecting the ethical traditions the game was founded on.

Henry you were a dickhead for your comments. Did you not draw any inspriation from the players at the end of the game to just let by-gones be by-gones? Give yourself an uppercut you fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.