• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rennie made a couple of howlers with his replacements. Tom Wright was the best backline player, not only winger, on the ground. Wilson was immense in defense. Why either of these was replaced instead of Koroibete and Hanigan is a mystery to me.

Talking wingers, I really think it's time to replace both Koroibete and Daugunu. They just don't seem to have rugby brains, just play on emotion and instinct and that lets them and the team down at critical times. I'd like to see Ramm and Wright as the wingers. Filipo unfortunately is an excellent Super player but looks to have no line breaking capability at test level.

I feel sick - Rob Simmons had his best ever game. Not outstanding but a whole lot better in general play than is his usual offering. Ned Hanigan otoh did very little in the game and should have been off instead of Wilson.

Ref was very ordinary but fairly even handed. His worst miss was a head high on Paisami about 35m out in front with a minute or two to play.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Im not sure who should be captain but it aint Hooper. Not taking the points was stupid. But worse was allowing himself and his team to get wound up (particularly Tupou) when so clearly dominant. Tupou was strong all over the place but was losing his cool. He needed his captain to calm him down.

Granted Hoopers dummy spit probably helped us geg the yellow (that we utterly failed to capitalise on). It was still a very bad captains performance.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Not sure what happened in that game, first half we were flying but really thought we were dumb not taking at least 2 out of the 3 kickable penalties we turned down. Our line out was functioning ok in the first half but surely should have realized it was going to be a tight game and Pumas defend well after seeing NZ last week. I thought we butchered the two disallowed tries, 1. Petaia should have dived on the ball the bounce before instead of trying to make it look pretty. 2. Koroibete should have been much closer to banks he didn't need to be so far away with no defender in front of him, absolute killer.

Other than that our 2nd half was as bad as our 1st was good. Tupou going off was a big let off, not sure what Rennie is worried about with his discipline he stood up for himself. Hanigan played OK but should have gone off instead of Wilson that coming in from the side penalty was so dumb!

Thought Simmons, Phillips and Paisami stood out as our best. Koro and Hooper were off where you'd expect them to be. Hanigan surely doesn't start next game, just feel a big hard runner would be better. Also when is Slipper back?

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Fuck, Brumby Runner in red
KOB1987 that is a big call, brumby runner is on every 10 minutes me virtually never. But seriously Gordon brings nothing to the team, I have watched Tate since he was about 17 , he has something about him that few half backs have which is a serious running game, Gordon did nothing while he was on. Hopefully Rennie will see this next game because atm we are replacing White with a lesser version of White that keeps box kicking. It is awful rugby

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Media saying Matera pulled BPA’s hair. Anyone see that?

Media saying likely to be cited and suspended for it. From memory falou did it a while back but I can’t remember what sanction he got.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
KOB1987 that is a big call, brumby runner is on every 10 minutes me virtually never. But seriously Gordon brings nothing to the team, I have watched Tate since he was about 17 , he has something about him that few half backs have which is a serious running game, Gordon did nothing while he was on. Hopefully Rennie will see this next game because atm we are replacing White with a lesser version of White that keeps box kicking. It is awful rugby
I think Rennie likes the box-kicking, hence he was selected, he aint doing it for fun. I agree he had a poor (short) shift in execution.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rennie made a couple of howlers with his replacements. Tom Wright was the best backline player, not only winger, on the ground. Wilson was immense in defense. Why either of these was replaced instead of Koroibete and Hanigan is a mystery to me.

Talking wingers, I really think it's time to replace both Koroibete and Daugunu. They just don't seem to have rugby brains, just play on emotion and instinct and that lets them and the team down at critical times. I'd like to see Ramm and Wright as the wingers. Filipo unfortunately is an excellent Super player but looks to have no line breaking capability at test level.

I feel sick - Rob Simmons had his best ever game. Not outstanding but a whole lot better in general play than is his usual offering. Ned Hanigan otoh did very little in the game and should have been off instead of Wilson.

Ref was very ordinary but fairly even handed. His worst miss was a head high on Paisami about 35m out in front with a minute or two to play.
You lost me at “replace Koirebete”

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Media saying likely to be cited and suspended for it. From memory falou did it a while back but I can’t remember what sanction he got.
Clear as day at the end of that handbag contest. Was surprised the match officials didn’t pick it up. They replayed it on Ch 10 coverage.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Clear as day at the end of that handbag contest. Was surprised the match officials didn’t pick it up. They replayed it on Ch 10 coverage.
They only seemingly look at who they think collapsed a scrum. Not much else. They certainly didn't look at kick chasers from both sides, but more so Argentina, being well in front of the kicker repeatedly, and that's literally right in front of them. I'm disappointed ARs don't contribute more usefully.

Reactions: TSR

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What are the rules for the comp? If we finish with 2 wins and 1 draw, but a worse point differential, does that win us the title?? Because we are currently last on the ladder
Didn’t realise bonus points were a thing, my mistake.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I’m fairly sure they also left Paisami with the rip in his jersey for the last 5 minutes of the first half to give those massive scratches some air time. Someone might do a little digging into that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, you really ought to try to get over your infatuation with me. It really is a low point when you start picking on an infrequent Reds supporter who is only talking up the merits of one of his favourite Reds players, admittedly against the selection of another of the precious Tahs players.

I am, if I say so myself, one of the more balanced posters on these threads. I very even-handedly criticise the faults or commend the virtues of players no matter which Super team they play for. If it appears that I have a leaning towards Brumbies players, that is because they are the best of the best. In any case, I have to agree with Rugby Follower and say that Tate is a better, and different, No 9 than Jake in the circumstances of the Wallabies at the moment. Jake is a step down but very similar player to Nic White. His point of difference is his ability to back up a break, but there are close to nil of those opportunities against that Pumas' defense, partly due to the game plan to kick it from the No 9 or No 10 spot anyway.

To show my impartiality, I have recorded my support for the retention of Hooper at 7 if we have a No 6 who plays with the physicality of Swinton. Ned Hanigan is not that man. My solution, as I've said a number of times, is to switch Wilson to 6 and play Naisarani at 8. Not a Brumby in sight.

After tonight, I reckon both Koroibete and Duagunu have confirmed they are not consistent performers at test level, and I'd replace them in the starting side with Wright (a Brumby, but best back line player on the ground tonight) and Ramm (Christ, a Waratah, who'd believe it?). I am also pissed that Maddocks hasn't been given a game or two at fullback to show what he can do. In saying that, Banks has been slowly improving, but Jack should also be seen a bit. Furthermore, imo HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is the unluckiest player in the squad. He has tonnes of talent, and is good in the open play as well as at set piece.

It seems to me that there is an element of the pot calling the kettle black in some people's bias calls against me and others.If I was a Tahs supporter, I wouldn't be aiming any such comments at any other poster until the team has the form on the board to support their players' inclusion in the Wallabies. No doubt that day will come, but it isn't here today.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m fairly sure they also left Paisami with the rip in his jersey for the last 5 minutes of the first half to give those massive scratches some air time. Someone might do a little digging into that.
I’m ok with the scratches . I grew up with them, as I’m sure many others here did. I’ll take 50 scratches for a fullback that gives a fuck.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hard to praise or criticize players after that game. Personally I think we need another ball carrier in the forwards. Banks I also think is the man most at risk of not playing the next test, he was fairly ordinary. It wouldn’t surprise me to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and Hodge move to 15.

It was one of those games where if each team played similar over 10 matches we would win 8 of them