• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Wilson got yanked and i thought that his substitution (along with Wright and Tupou) had a fair bit to do with us falling apart.

I agree with this, I think Wilson and Tupou are probably our best ball carriers at the moment so it is better if one starts and the other comes off the bench, if they both start we struggle at the back end of games.

We need some others to step up their ball carrying, Philip is ok, Valentini looked good on the weekend, I think him and Tupou playing the last 30 together would be dangerous.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with this, I think Wilson and Tupou are probably our best ball carriers at the moment so it is better if one starts and the other comes off the bench, if they both start we struggle at the back end of games.

We need some others to step up their ball carrying, Philip is ok, Valentini looked good on the weekend, I think him and Tupou playing the last 30 together would be dangerous.
I'd be surprised if Philip didn't have the best ball carrying stats on the weekend. Better than just OK.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting. I thought Tupou had a couple of okay hit ups. I knew none of them resulted in line breaks but I though he gained a few metres. Slacker.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting. I thought Tupou had a couple of okay hit ups. I knew none of them resulted in line breaks but I though he gained a few metres. Slacker.

Yeah I don’t fully trust the stats. I love BPA and seeing him come up like this, but he was gifted 10m in one of the short line outs. Simmons otoh was 6 runs in heavy work and included 3 passes.

Tupou was working in heavy but perhaps more in D this game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Philip 24m
BPA 21m
Wilson 20m
Simmons 13m
Sio 9m
[Tupou 1m]

this is what I have from Fox:

Player / Runs/ Metres / Post Contact Metres

Runs.PNG

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All pretty similar in terms of metres / run and relative PCM / run, except BPA, whose stats are skewed by that run down the right wing in the first half (sea gulling bastard!). Good shift especially by Philip and Wilson.

Cyclo, I reckon there is a fair bit of variation in players' involvements disclosed in those figures. What it all means though is anybody's guess.

On the number of runs, I'd say that Sio, BPA, TT and Hooper look to be slackers. However, the game plan might have been for the front rowers to concentrate on defense and that might explain their low numbers.

On metres gained, TT and Hooper look to be poor. But I understand a lot of the metres gained occur before reaching the defense, in which case it's not a very good measure imo. The measure of metres/run that you allude to suffers the same problem imo.

Post contact metres is probably the most telling measure, and on that score BPA, TT, Simmons and Hooper performed relatively badly.

On the face of it, both TT and Hooper looked to be below par on the attacking stats. But did they make up in their defensive efforts, I wonder? I think that TT was probably given an instruction to hit everything that moved, and Hooper generally plays wider which probably accounts for his poor looking stats. But probably also highlights why some here think he doesn't play as a forward but more as an extra back.

One thing I take away from the numbers is that Sio is playing better in general than a lot of posters are giving him credit for.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
this is what I have from Fox:

Player / Runs/ Metres / Post Contact Metres

View attachment 11939
Shows how stats can vary. Just watched the 60 minute replay and I must of missed the bit where Sio made 27 m. Phillip was immense but 54m? Hanigan 34m also seems excessive. Thor had a longish run near the tryline, but he was going sideways. The ESPN seem more accurate

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I think run meter stats should be taken in context. If Tupou picks and goes into 3 men and gets 3 meters near the goal line that's an outstanding outcome and much different than if, say, Hanigan, picked it up and went -1 meter. But statistically they are virtually identical. Someone can also make huge meters off of someone else's hard work. How many meters did Sonny Bill make when he tied up 3 players and then offloaded to someone wide open? Compared to whomever received his pass?

Not to mention catching a kick and running the free 10-20 meters before an opponent goes to tackle you, players tasked with carrying in different channels, the ball happening to go to one wingers side all game vs. the other. And on and on.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was surprising how effective our carrying was in tight compared to the ABs the previous week. They got absolutely no pay there where as our forwards were regularly able to get over the advantage line in traffic, particularly Philip, Simmons and Wilson.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It was surprising how effective our carrying was in tight compared to the ABs the previous week. They got absolutely no pay there where as our forwards were regularly able to get over the advantage line in traffic, particularly Philip, Simmons and Wilson.

In the first half Philip in particular was crashing through them. But something tightened up on their end and progress was slowed.

Hard to tell off one viewing but I think our variation in terms of points of attack was better than the ABs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Shame it did us fuck all good

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Shame it did us fuck all good
It did a lot of good, we just were not able to capitalise. We were on the front foot, the Argies knew it and were a whisker away from giving it up. One try or a couple more penalty goals and the game would have been over.