• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina 7 Oct 2017 in Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cheika's now taken us to #3 in the world and a 100% win rate since the last all black defeat so using the TOCC method of subjective timeframes for analytical purposes surely Cheika is the messiah ;-)
100% win.. a draw is not a win

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Problem with 'may' is that it creates inconsistencies and more decisions made based on the referee's interpretation rather than clear cut transgressions. Supporters are then up in arms because if it's a line ball penalty and their team gets away with it it's just a good shot, if the other team does it's a card-able offence. Personally, I prefer referees making interpretations on a case by case basis but it's always going to lead to outrage especially when World Rugby has been cracking down harshly on contact with the head.

Could Koroibete have been sanctioned, yes, did it affect the outcome of the game, no, is the player ok, yes, probably best to move on and hope for more clarity in the future.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting to see Beale has spilled most of the high balls he’s fielded this series.
If Folau was to move to wing I think hodge is the best option at FB. His boot would be useful back there as well against the ABs.
I think that’s a tweak that has some merit.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Mate, you see so many instances of direct contravention of WR (World Rugby) orders around contact with the head in a game. Under their new mandates any contact with the head should be penalised. Not trying to excuse it away but just watch how many tackles start high with the legal range and end up around the tackled players neck and head. Clearly there's a level of discretion applied. As for if it were Retallick on Folau. I'm not so one eyed that I'd look for the smallest thing to get one up on the ABs. I'd like to think that I'd maintain my position.

Perhpas not you, but the thread would be in meltdown by now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting to see Beale has spilled most of the high balls he’s fielded this series.
If Folau was to move to wing I think hodge is the best option at FB. His boot would be useful back there as well against the ABs.

I just can't see him being shifted there. Hodge just had his best game at 11 and Koroibete is 3 tries in 2 matches. Why would you shift anything about?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Izzy had a quiet game.
The gameplan seemed to exclude him a bit.
There was a lot of one out running off Genia and Foley.
I was waiting for a kick pass for the whole of the second half.
Was this game used to prepare for the AB's in 2 weeks time?
Did the Argies double team him with their defense?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I just can't see him being shifted there. Hodge just had his best game at 11 and Koroibete is 3 tries in 2 matches. Why would you shift anything about?

I think Folau’s lack of a kick return is exposed by NZ and Eng. Both teams have a pinpoint kicking game and great pressure on the chase.
I’ve been keen on Hodge at 15 for a while.
Most of his breaks today were in a roving role anyway which he can still do from FB.
I just think hodge and Folau both have the wrong numbers on their backs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Beale was not the best under the high ball when he last played for the Wobs there a few years back........ I think 12 is his best suited position now, especially as his defence has improved.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
100% win.. a draw is not a win

hUwtRPX.jpg

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Izzy had a quiet game.
The gameplan seemed to exclude him a bit.
There was a lot of one out running off Genia and Foley.
I was waiting for a kick pass for the whole of the second half.
Was this game used to prepare for the AB's in 2 weeks time?
Did the Argies double team him with their defense?

Agreed, he still had the highest run metres after about 70 minutes with 120 but I think a lot were sneak metres from kick returns.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Folau’s lack of a kick return is exposed by NZ and Eng. Both teams have a pinpoint kicking game and great pressure on the chase.
Most of his breaks today were in a roving role anyway which he can still do from FB.

I think his lack of kick return when a solid defence wall is set is ironically down to his body composition, in my experience the bigger fullbacks don't have as good a kick return as smaller guys because they're too big to use their steps when they get up to full pace. Folau's main method of deception on the kick return is a little hop or goose step before contact because it's too hard for him to change direction. Smaller guys like Damien McKenzie and Ben Smith are much more able to swerve and zag at high speed and tend to have much better kick returns. But against a broken line Folau is still deadly on the kick return.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Izzy was lucky not to get penalised for running in behind lazy runners on his kick returns.
At least twice he ran towards the support players who returned in line with the advancing defenders.
Clever team tactic but sure to get dismantled by the AB's.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Beale was not the best under the high ball when he last played for the Wobs there a few years back.... I think 12 is his best suited position now, especially as his defence has improved.

He and Hunt need to duke it off for the 12 position. He’s got the inside running at the moment.
I don’t see either playing any other position except bench utility.
Although I would like to see Hunt come off the bench at 12 with Beale moving in to 10 and foley having a rest in the last 15 against a lower ranked side.
If for nothing else these to see if Cheika’s back up plan has merit.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I was impressed by Hodge's involvements - he seems to look to get involved much more than Folau.

Izzy is somewhat of an enigma - he plays in a position tailor-made for him to pop up anywhere and use his considerable ability running with ball in hand, but he seems to go long stretches of games without being involved.

T

TOCC

I was impressed by Hodge's involvements - he seems to look to get involved much more than Folau.

Izzy is somewhat of an enigma - he plays in a position tailor-made for him to pop up anywhere and use his considerable ability running with ball in hand, but he seems to go long stretches of games without being involved.

I think Fullback is more a hinderance then a blessing for Izzy, Hodge is offered more freedom from wing whereas Izzy hangs back a bit for a kick off a turnover.

Another reason I think he should be shifted to wing, Folau is great at running lines and finishing off moves, he isn’t so great at being a play maker or starting link man.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From an Argentinian perspective, I thought that they were badly let down in their catch/pass skills. Plenty of half chances to make line breaks were stopped by a poor pass or a player sticking his hand out and knocking a ball down which was meant for someone else. Their (correctly) disallowed try just before half time was really just poor technique in trying to pick up a bobbling ball from the ground.

T

TOCC

100%

AB’s are smart enough to know he will run it back 90% of the time, and good enough to make the one of one tackles to stop him, or at least have the chasers and defensive alignment to stop him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Fullback is more a hinderance then a blessing for Izzy, Hodge is offered more freedom from wing whereas Izzy hangs back a bit for a kick off a turnover.

Another reason I think he should be shifted to wing, Folau is great at running lines and finishing off moves, he isn’t so great at being a play maker or starting link man.

It may even be a lack of confidence. When Beale has played fullback for example, when he came into the backline it was at full speed and was usually timed to perfection. We rarely see those involvements from Izzy.

M

Moono75

Looking at the final RC standings it is clear there simply isn't enough talent to sustain 4 teams in this competition. Australia finishes second on the ladder with 2 wins from 6 games. South Africa the same and Argentina 0 from 6 games. The Argies inclusion in Super Rugby is obviously paying dividends for them internationally....err what!

SANZAAR needs to meet urgently to discuss culling one of these teams and having their players qualify for citizenship with the remaining 3 teams so the quality of the RC can be lifted.

I believe the ARU have an alliance agreement with themselves so should be safe, but a restructure of the RC broadcast deal might provide an opportunity to bone themselves saving millions of dollars.

T

TOCC

On Hodge, played great on attack, a real team player with the lines and angles he runs..

But his defence concerns me a bit, he seems a bit slow on lateral drift when defending at 12, which may be due to indecision or just not reading the play right. But there was a key moment he did it last week when KB (Kurtley Beale) was steam rolled and he did it a couple of times again this week. AB’s would have identified that, and will be much better at exploiting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.