• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Will Genia:
'I called for it and 'Kano' came over as if he was going to catch it and we were right next to each other,'' Genia said. ''And as it came down he left it, and I went to get it at the last minute. I probably should have been louder so he left it. I'll put my hand up.''

I would say it was both their fault. This to me was very similar to cricket where a high catch goes up and two players are in a position to take it and the ball ends up hitting the ground because neither player commits.

Douglas should have realised he didn't have that far to move backwards to catch it and should have called for it as the lock.

Genia should have either called Douglas in very early or committed to it himself. As the player behind the ball he is in a better position to catch it and thus has a responsibility to make sure it is caught cleanly (either by him or ensuring Douglas knew the ball was his).

This is absolutely a schoolboy error and both players involved are to blame.

Reactions: BPC

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
I am confused.

Kepu got in a position that forced Corbisero to hinge rather than concede position and ground just out from his own line and somehow that is our problem?

Each scrum is a different battle and should be adjudicated that way - just like every other part of the game is.

its our problem because for over a decade we've has props who cant hold up a scrum- we are perceived as weak and the reality is when our scrum is under pressure from the start it only reaffirms this> there is no point in complaining that we were stronger at later scrums because the truth is, we (again) tried to play the game from the start with props who are picked for their running game instead of primarily for the scrum.
the scrums are never going to be adjudicated as if every battle is different because it is us who have the reputation
the quicker we get on board with the program and realize this the better
we have to consider that everything else a prop does around the field is insignificant compared to their ability to hold the scrum-

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
I would say it was both their fault. This to me was very similar to cricket where a high catch goes up and two players are in a position to take it and the ball ends up hitting the ground because neither player commits.

Genia should have either called Douglas in very early or committed to it himself. As the player behind the ball he is in a better position to catch it and thus has a responsibility to make sure it is caught cleanly (either by him or ensuring Douglas knew the ball was his).

This is absolutely a schoolboy error and both players involved are to blame.

How is this both players fault. Genia called the ball he should have caught it. What Douglas did was make if more difficult but still very catchable if Genia had committed to the catch after calling for it. His mistake and very poor form by a vice captain to react the way him did in the opening minutes of an important test.

robertb

Frank Row (1)
The worst case of bad sportsmanship apart from the drunen Yobs in red chanting Lions jibberish was when a Lions official on the side line ran in to take a ball from Jessie Mogg so he could not take a quick throw in. Right in front of Craig Joubert who gave the idiot some feedback. (Good on you Craig). Really the IRU should have good look at this and the Lions coaching and staff and medics. The spirit of the game was tarnished with the on field parade of the Lions medics, sideline coaching and largely drunken bores who have become more like soccer rabble. All in all poor sportsmanship. I really wish now that Beale kicked that goal in the first test.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
robertb that was extremely poor form from that official, but hardly worth tarnishing the entire series. In the same way, Big Kev's foot placement will be viewed by many as extremely poor form but hardly worth being series defining.

I am sure that Lions fans will be able to cite plenty of examples of yobbo behaviour from Wobs Supporters. Sadly, in any large crowd you will get buffoons who are not representative of the majority.

Many of the sideline "Team officials" are overstepping their roles at all levels, and it is perhaps time to reign their behaviour in. If they want to yell and abuse the referee, then they should pay their money and get behind the fence like the rest of us.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can this thread go away, Its a reminder of a embarrassing performance..

The only positive from this game is that Deans got himself Fired. And I can get my Wallabies Jersey out from the back of the Cupboard

Actually Be nice if the Deans era didn't happen, :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.