• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Foley's decision making wasn't particularly good and as you said he made a lot of errors, and kicked poorly....

To'omua certainly was far from perfect, but still did some very good things.....

I think if Quade comes back alright from injury I see Link rushing him back into the side.....
Have you forgotten Quade's Super form before injury. I love Quade, but he wasn't playing great pre-injury.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Gee what an epic finish! Great stuff.

Initial thoughts:

Backline was pretty good across the board. Both centres and Izzy in particular were outstanding.

Hooper again the standout forward. Palu is making a lot of errors atm and the side improved out of sight when Higgers replaced him, again. The scrum was mostly decimated, and the lineout was worse, which doesn't bode well at all for our tight 5.

I counted 4 penalties against Simmons, all pointless and costly, but it could easily have been 5 or 6. I've stuck up for the bloke all year for his lineout work but surely now it would be a monumental shock to see his name in the 23 next week. Far and away the worst player on the park.

Fortunately the backline gelled late and it all came together! Now time to bash some Argies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A pretty average win, but they'll take it with both hands.

I'm really pleased with how the reserves played. I thought Cowan, Horwill, Alexander and Hodgson really lifted the team.

On a side note: Jean De-Villiers is the epitome of a gracious sportsman. I thought the Boks were a bit hard done by, but he handled defeat in a decorous way.

Congratulations to Matt To'omua on receiving MOTM.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have you forgotten Quade's Super form before injury. I love Quade, but he wasn't playing great pre-injury.

I've been a Quade hater in the past but he was very good for the Wallabies last year, and so far Beale and Foley aren't stepping up at flyhalf.............

Beale is however very good off the bench.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Foley's kicking game was pretty poor overall as was Folau's.

What was concerning for OZ was the drifting in attack by guys with low numbers on their backs. Made it far too easy for the Boks.

When it was with the backs creating one on one opportunities, OZ looked pretty good.

That first Bok try was excellent and it wasn't created by To'omua rushing out either. It was just a slick piece of attacking rugby that had the OZ defence guessing. Pity we didn't see more of it from the Boks.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Those Folau kicks are interesting, they look to be landing barely out?

Foley/Beale/To'omua is a real tough one. I have no doubt Foley/Beale is more potent but there's the defensive issues.

It's not just a defensive issue with Beale. He is just weak in contact, First time he ran it into contact tonight he was turned over. Happens all the bloody time IMO.

He added some attacking spark from the bench I would keep him there for the last 20minutes.

Foley, To'omua will only get better with more game time. Tonight they both did well-enough IMO.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah, we keep talking about these other guys but Simmons is the real problem at the moment....

There are several problems, to be fair.

I wasn't convinced by Foley and Beale needs too much space to do his thing to be a 10.

To'omua-Kerevi-Kuridrani is probably worth a shout at some point.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Foley's decision making wasn't particularly good and as you said he made a lot of errors, and kicked poorly....

I didn't say he made a lot of errors. And his place kicking was as accurate as Steyn's, with one missed conversion.

I understand you've got a chubby for To'omua to play 10, I really do. But his decision making still has questions over it as large as Foley's, and when I look down my tally sheet, To'omua's +/- ratio is nowhere near as good.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
It's not just a defensive issue with Beale. He is just weak in contact, First time he ran it into contact tonight he was turned over. Happens all the bloody time IMO.

He added some attacking spark from the bench I would keep him there for the last 20minutes.

Foley, To'omua will only get better with more game time. Tonight they both did well-enough IMO.

Beale really is awful in contact. Successful playmaker 12s still need to be able to get the ball to ground moving forward running up the guts.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Both teams should kick themselves for poor kicking options.

The Wallabies looked dire for that 10 mins period in the 2nd half when the Boks kicked 3 consecutive penalties. They were only in Wallabies territory courtesy of To'omua kicking dead & Foley kicking out on the full from the kick off. We had the wind at our backs but we were squandering that advantage.

The Boks' failure to find touch late from their well-earned penalty after strong goal line defence with 14 men was unforgiveable.

However, commiserations to the Boks for the Habana yellow card. Clancy was very stubborn sticking to his yellow call when he'd had the benefit of the replay.

On a final positive note, Kuridrani played his best game in gold tonight & he'll be invaluable to us going forward with that form & Higginbotham, Cowan & Beale were all strong from the bench.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To'omua gave the Boks a try through poor defence, and 3 other points through a shit kick.

Be careful who you aim at. Foley ran the show pretty well overall, though he made errors.
I thought the show was run poorly tonight.
Our kicking game was atrocious,we all but surrendered the game until Habana was binned.
Then we started to pay to our strengths.
And KB (Kurtley Beale) should have been on with 15 to go, and I thought the piggies were turned over about 10 minutes too late as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn't say he made a lot of errors. And his place kicking was as accurate as Steyn's, with one missed conversion.

I understand you've got a chubby for To'omua to play 10, I really do. But his decision making still has questions over it as large as Foley's, and when I look down my tally sheet, To'omua's +/- ratio is nowhere near as good.

You must be confusing me for someone else as I've never stated a desire for To'omua to play at 10.................

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
What a great win. I thought while the wallabies were fortunate to get an extra bite at the cherry they were the better team. South Africa dominated the set piece for much of the game but the wallabies were more energetic at the breakdown and much more keen to run from deep.

Crazy Grey

Frank Nicholson (4)
What's even more depressing is that this Wob win all but hands the thing to the ABs.

Again.

Getting a bit old now.

Definitely something we can bond over. Although you're kidding yourself thinking you had a chance after your puma performances

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck. People think because Beale walked on at the end and passed the ball, he's the saviour.

He ran just as sideways as he did in the other two games, the difference being against tired opposition as a fresh player, its easier to look good and have half a second to execute more than you do at 10.

I think a far bigger factor was the presence of the reserve tight forwards. Things got real quick from that point, and allowed Beale to inject himself, because our ruck started to get clean.

I just went back and checked my stats - Simmons had two lineouts stolen on his watch, and gave away 3 penalties -2 of which were fucking stupid, and 1 of which denied us a shot at a try.

OK QLDers: line up and tell me I'm biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.