• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v South Africa - Perth - 6 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if the Wallabies starting pack against France when Skelton played wasn't the heaviest pack NZ, SA or Australia have fielded in years.

As Blue said, the massive SA pack perception is not backed by reality these days.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It's all about PLAYING big, rather than BEING big, although it helps one to play big if one is also big.

When Will Skelton was at High School, his School's forward pack was heavier than the Waratahs pack.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's all about PLAYING big, rather than BEING big, although it helps one to play big if one is also big.

This. SA have a reputation for playing BIG. Meaning aggressive and intense. Their big players usually know how to actually use their weight.

Ours seem soft more often then not.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd be surprised if the Wallabies starting pack against France when Skelton played wasn't the heaviest pack NZ, SA or Australia have fielded in years.

As Blue said, the massive SA pack perception is not backed by reality these days.

It's generally now only one or two players in the South African back row that are significantly bigger than their direct opponent. Schalk Burger at openside or Alberts/Deysel at blindside being 5-10kg heavier than their opposite.

But at the same time since Smit their hooker has often been smaller. Bismark would be under the 110kg mark unlike TPN and Moore.

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting. He just looks, well, fitter, than our hookers.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
For 60 minutes they were losing until Adriaan Strauss and Coetzee came on and completely turned a match.

The first thing Strauss did when he came on was pull the forwards together and he must have read them the riot act because suddenly they woke up.

Bismarck is just an amazing player but Strauss is an incredible leader. So I think to steady the pack Meyer needs to start Strauss. Bring Bismarck on for impact with 30 to go.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt you Saffers have the best two hookers in world rugby in those two.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think there is a big case for starting Skelton against the Boks and the Pumas.Both will play a forward oriented game and try and overpower our forwards who they perceive as soft.
Skelton will give us a very strong counter-maul, some go forward in close and some beef at the breakdown.
Kev to come in at 50-60 minutes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes he is and that is a reason why I think Link should consider starting him. I'd also like to see him (and a few others) smash a few blokes in some early ruck contests just to let the Boks know we mean business. We won't beat these teams with big powerful forward packs unless our own big blokes take the fight up to them. Our boys lack nothing in size, but at times I think our technique and focus slip and we get dusted. Against the AB's, Poms, Boks and Pumas you just can't let that happen. You have to win in the tough stuff first and then let the backs do their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.