• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just watched the replay of Aus v Arg from Rosario last year. I think we underestimate how much we miss Ben Mowen. No one ever laments the loss of him while eulogising Noodles Kimlin and Kane Douglas, but he was a proven Wallaby. When he announced he was leaving we all said he would have only lost his spot to Higgers, which in reality hasn't fleshed out.

It's no coincidence that coinciding with him leaving our line out has gone to shit and the balance of the back row is shot.
He is also a wonderful Captain.. If Jake White gave anything to Australia it was the rise of Mowen..

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What happens with supporters from Gold Coast??! Only 15k??! Worse still, less than 15k! Fkg idiots!

This should be the last Wallaby test match in Gold Coast, I'm sure Canberra would get a bigger crowd

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What happens with supporters from Gold Coast??! Only 15k??! Worse still, less than 15k! Fkg idiots!

This should be the last Wallaby test match in Gold Coast, I'm sure Canberra would get a bigger crowd
Canberra would sell out.. And to prove the point I'm at the gold coast game and I'm a Brumbies boy.. I'd be in a second for a test at the esky

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why does no one from Brisbane make the trip? If there was a Test in Wollongong (about same distance) most Sydneysiders would go.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
You can even catch the train to Robina. I know plenty of Gold Coast people who head to Brisbane for games.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Fuck! Did I miss the game? When was it on?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
if it's about marketing to the regions, the Gold Coast is the wrong place as it already has significant exposure to the sport and is close to Brisbane..the same could be said about Wollongong and Newcastle.

The case to have a test in Canberra would be to reward the rugby public there for their support..given the size of the stadium this match would be ideal for that purpose.

If the ARU wants to get a new audience then they need to go to a city that has a big enough stadium, such as Adelaide, give them a marquee game like the Boks or a June test, market the crap out of it and make sure it's a sell out.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

I got a family pass for $94. the Bled 3 tickets are like $90 each for Lang Park. Got me miffed as to why it is not a sellout given we have a very good chance at winning.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

Settle down MHCS, (and others)! The "Gold Coast Bulletin" reported, as of Wednesday morning: "roughly 8,000 tickets remain for the Wallabies clash with Argentina this weekend". (That's three days ago). "Cbus Super" Stadium holds 27,400, so you do the maths. If the report is correct, the crowd should be over 20,000 and under 27,400.
To be consistent, you guys had better start calling for "no more Wallabies matches to be played in Perth"! Wasn't the crowd at Patersons Stadium for the Wallabies v Springboks match around 25,000?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If the Rams weren't playing in Parra this arvo I'd nip up to the GC for this test. :rolleyes:

But Newcastle, or the 'gong, there'd be a coupla trainloads of Sydneysiders attending.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Broncos v Cowboys sudden-death NRL semi kicks off 30 min prior to Test, I suspect lots of casual fans will stay home / go to pub, RSL etc to watch that. Unfortunate but unavoidable consequence of scheduling a Union Test in an NRL stronghold during their playoff season. Hoping Mr Doug is correct & something like 18-22K rock up.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
There are already 20000 tickets sold so the crowd will be fine. The Gold Coast supports test rugby better than Perth (18000 for Argentina last year and 25000 for Springboks this year), so all this talk about the GC losing the test is just stupid.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are already 20000 tickets sold so the crowd will be fine. The Gold Coast supports test rugby better than Perth (18000 for Argentina last year and 25000 for Springboks this year), so all this talk about the GC losing the test is just stupid.
Both those games in the Perth you mention were in shocking weather the last dry test we had there was over 32k.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You also have a huge expat South African population, so the weather should be irrelevant.
Give us an all blacks test band we would sell out subi (45k) and be able to sell tickets to the kiwis to watch on the big screens and nib

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Settle down MHCS, (and others)! The "Gold Coast Bulletin" reported, as of Wednesday morning: "roughly 8,000 tickets remain for the Wallabies clash with Argentina this weekend". (That's three days ago). "Cbus Super" Stadium holds 27,400, so you do the maths. If the report is correct, the crowd should be over 20,000 and under 27,400.
To be consistent, you guys had better start calling for "no more Wallabies matches to be played in Perth"! Wasn't the crowd at Patersons Stadium for the Wallabies v Springboks match around 25,000?

After reading the articles in Wednesday's GC bulletin, containing the information I reproduced above, which BTW, was under the heading "Wallabies on track for massive crowd", I have just read an article in today's GC Bulletin which has the heading "Poor crowd may cost future tests", and reports that "only about 17,000 tickets had been sold yesterday, meaning only a meagre crowd is expected"!!
Who was it that originally said "don't believe what you read in the newspapers"?!

On the positive side, there are three pages of rugby stories (including the back page), plus an article which says we can expect to be "frisked" at the stadium, as the terrorism threat increases!

Status
Not open for further replies.