• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian of the Year Mick Dodson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
From TFF http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/pu...1232818724905.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Ron Barassi breaks cover from the usual, middle-of-the-road political views of sporting legends to say what needs to be said: "Australia Day is the day put aside to focus attention on just what a great country this is. But I reckon we're celebrating the wrong day. I think we should change the date of Australia Day. We were invaders and conquerors in 1788 when the First Fleet arrived and we took this land from the Aborigines. January 26 just doesn't sit right with me, and I'd prefer it were changed."

Go, Ron, go! Barassi again: "The national day couldn't be Anzac Day, because we were fighting a stupid war and we lost."

I'm with Ron on this one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Uh... except we did win the actual war; in terms of not giving in first - you could argue that no-one really "won" WWI due to the sheer carnage.

We definitely lost the Gallipoli campaign, but then we weren't the biggest force there. Heaps more Poms lost than ours.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thanks for the history lesson. I think he's talking about Gallipoli.

There arent many theatres of war where we have been the dominant force (perhaps PNG and Borneo although there were a few Americans there as well) so that is a meaningless point.

F

formeropenside

Gallipoli was however, less dangerous than the Western Front in terms of casualties. In addition, when Australian troops were transferred to the Western Front, they were instrumental in many of the Allied sucesses.

A Queensland based regiment captured an early German tank too - the A7V "Mephisto" which sits at the Queensland museum to this day. The only original A7V left in the world. I must take my little man to see it one of these days.

As to the topic of this thread - I don't like to comment on politics or religion.

R

rugbywhisperer

mark_s said:
Given many Australians don't know why Aus day is 26 Jan anyway (its not the date captain cook discovered Australia nor is the date Arthur Phillip first arrived in Aus, nor is it even the day when Australia was first called Australia) I would have no problems moving it to another day. My preference would be for another public holiday in the back half of the year preferably in November or possibly late February - it could even help fill the gap between the cricket and rugby seasons.

What a bloody coincidence - it's the exact date my great great great grandfather and his future wife stepped off the good ships 'Alexander' and 'Friendship' after their luxurious sea voyage. Spare a loaf of bread anyone, a shoe or two then.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
mark_s said:
it could even help fill the gap between the cricket and rugby seasons.
There is a gap between the cricket and rugby seasons?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
rugbywhisperer said:
mark_s said:
Given many Australians don't know why Aus day is 26 Jan anyway (its not the date captain cook discovered Australia nor is the date Arthur Phillip first arrived in Aus, nor is it even the day when Australia was first called Australia) I would have no problems moving it to another day. My preference would be for another public holiday in the back half of the year preferably in November or possibly late February - it could even help fill the gap between the cricket and rugby seasons.

What a bloody coincidence - it's the exact date my great great great grandfather and his future wife stepped off the good ships 'Alexander' and 'Friendship' after their luxurious sea voyage. Spare a loaf of bread anyone, a shoe or two then.

I don't want to be rude, but you are probably incorrect. Some convicts were unloaded in botany bay (near La Perouse) when the fleet first arrived earlier in Jan. In fact I think the friendship and alexander were two of the faster ships that arrived in the first group on 18 Jan (with the others arriving over the next few days).

In any event, 26 Jan was the day Arthur Phillip and his officers stepped ashore and raised the union jack in Sydney Cove. The convicts didn't start being unloaded until the following day.

R

rugbywhisperer

mark_s said:
rugbywhisperer said:
mark_s said:

I don't want to be rude, but you are probably incorrect. Some convicts were unloaded in botany bay (near La Perouse) when the fleet first arrived earlier in Jan. In fact I think the friendship and alexander were two of the faster ships that arrived in the first group on 18 Jan (with the others arriving over the next few days).

In any event, 26 Jan was the day Arthur Phillip and his officers stepped ashore and raised the union jack in Sydney Cove. The convicts didn't start being unloaded until the following day.

Smart arse. Actually had 2 g/g/g/ grandfathers on the elite voyage. One definitely stepped ashore on the 26th and yes the other ancestors 2 were delayed disembarkation due to their lower stature in life.
Thought it made a good story though. Never let the facts spoil a good read I always say.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My Dad's side are all latecomer Krauts in the 1800s through South Australia.

My Mum's side (well, the Scottish bit) had three in the First Fleet: a cook, a captain, and a convict :)

Status
Not open for further replies.