• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You make the assumption that they care about the ARU, in fact I am positive that there are some in the NZRU who would happily see the ARU burnt to the ground to gain their satisfaction after the 2003 RWC and Japan for 2011 RWC vote issues.
I second that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sounds like the Tahs management and recruitment organisation performed well again.

I suspect Ponga and Croft and Sua's story might not be dissimilar.

They tell him to come back in 5 years and yet for certain players they are fast tracked straight in.

One assumes that Gibson would have been a part of this process.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Why was the SANZAAR meeting held in London? What has London got to do with Super Rugby? It sounds as though it was a junket.
Why can't the ARU/Australian Super Rugby teams tell SANZAAR to shove it and go it alone?
I believe the SANZAAR meeting coincided with a World Rugby meeting that was being held in London.

T

TOCC

I believe the SANZAAR meeting coincided with a World Rugby meeting that was being held in London.

Coincidentally Pulver didn't even have the decency to attend and represent Australia at a meeting which would have massive ramifications for Australian Rugby.. Brett Robsinon was the ARU representative

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They tell him to come back in 5 years and yet for certain players they are fast tracked straight in.

One assumes that Gibson would have been a part of this process.

I know his parents very well, there was a lot more to it than a one liner about not playing in the top team until he is 23. It's true that he felt the opportunities ($$$) were better in League for a young player and perhaps that interview is his condensation of one of the major factors which swung his decision. He was also courted by the NRL as he was going through Scots, the Roosters initially and then the Bunnies, so the comment that 'he wouldn't have even spoken to Michael McGuire' doesn't stack up.

And he hasn't ruled out returning to union one day, at this point in time I doubt he'd touch with a barge pole though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As I mentioned in the Waratahs thread....

Crichton still had to wait 2 years until he played first grade for the Rabbitohs.

And Hanigan is playing Wallabies at 22. Back yourself big fellah. You don't always get things handed to you on a silver tray.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
As I mentioned in the Waratahs thread....

Crichton still had to wait 2 years until he played first grade for the Rabbitohs.

I dont know what (Union) club he would have played for, but Uni for one will tell school leavers they want them to play 1st Grade ASAP and use Swinton as an example,

I think that story is a crock of shit.

He followed the money, simple as that

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
And Hanigan is playing Wallabies at 22. Back yourself big fellah. You don't always get things handed to you on a silver tray.

Maybe Crichton in hindsight considers that a good reason to have stayed away.

Hanigan to me looks wildly over-promoted in a Wallabies jersey and so often that can lead to a career set-back rather than a major career consolidation moving forward.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting isn't it. A highly talented young player like Crichton who played union all his teens comes along and with seeming honesty in a public interview gives his side of the story as to why he want to league and multiple posters here come out and effectively say he's lying or masking the truth and they know better.

S

sidelineview

Interesting isn't it. A highly talented young player like Crichton who played union all his teens comes along and with seeming honesty in a public interview gives his side of the story as to why he want to league and multiple posters here come out and effectively say he's lying or masking the truth and they know better.

I tend to agree. He may still have chosen to play RL after reviewing all of his options but it sounds as though the Waratahs didnt exactly instill him with enthusiasm to pursue rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You make the assumption that they care about the ARU, in fact I am positive that there are some in the NZRU who would happily see the ARU burnt to the ground to gain their satisfaction after the 2003 RWC and Japan for 2011 RWC vote issues.

Bollocks, if you believe that ,I think you in fairy land. NZRU would want Aus rugby to be going ok because it helps them too!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Apparently Genia and Folau et al are the best available and they cannot execute the basic skills properly for their position and its been that way for 5 years. I say if they and their ilk want to go, fine C'est La Vie, as I said the results may get a little worse but the fact is we won't be watching overpaid blokes running around not playing to their potential and never even reaching it. In all honesty I could not give a shit if they left tomorrow, overpaid, under performers and whilst they feel they have the position sown up due to contracts and favouritist selections they will never improve.

The Wallabies atm would not be significantly weakened, if at all, if neither Folau nor Genia were not playing. DHP (or Hunt) can cover No 15 at the required level, and in some respects better than Folau, and in his form of the past couple of years, a number of No 9s are emerging who will fill the Wallabies' spot quite adequately.

I agree - get rid of the Giteau rule asap. Without being too critical of those who go overseas for the money, we should live with whomever wants to play here and be a Wallaby.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Genia is past it.

He always had an average passing game, his standout strength was his running and sniping game. He's not doing that much anymore and his passing is worse than it was.

He generates almost zero forward momentum in the backline because he doesn't put it out in front of Foley or his forward runner and make sure they hit the ball at either full speed or in acceleration mode. They constantly catch the ball behind the shoulder/slow down to take it and angle their upper body inwards away from their outside men/

Phipps, for all his brain farts and temper tantrums does that consistently (draw his receiver forward onto the ball at pace).

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Genia is past it.

He always had an average passing game, his standout strength was his running and sniping game. He's not doing that much anymore and his passing is worse than it was.

He generates almost zero forward momentum in the backline because he doesn't put it out in front of Foley or his forward runner and make sure they hit the ball at either full speed or in acceleration mode. They constantly catch the ball behind the shoulder/slow down to take it and angle their upper body inwards away from their outside men/

Phipps, for all his brain farts and temper tantrums does that consistently (draw his receiver forward onto the ball at pace).

Our depth at 9 is really quite poor. I can't believe we're at the point that Phipps is our best option, but here we are.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Our depth at 9 is really quite poor. I can't believe we're at the point that Phipps is our best option, but here we are.

I don't think our depth is poor. I think there is a gap at the top at the moment.

In QLD alone I am excited about the prospects around Tuttle, Sorovi, Fines-Leleiwasa, McDermott and Chapman. And that's without counting Frisby.

Gordon, Lucas, Ruru, Louwrens, Stirzaker, Longergan.

Plenty of young talent there. Of course Oz Rugby's challenge has recently being ensuring these talents continue to develop (as evidence in the seemingly declining abilities of the two Nicks - Frisby and Stirzaker).

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't think our depth is poor. I think there is a gap at the top at the moment.

In QLD alone I am excited about the prospects around Tuttle, Sorovi, Fines-Leleiwasa, McDermott and Chapman. And that's without counting Frisby.

Gordon, Lucas, Ruru, Louwrens, Stirzaker, Longergan.

Plenty of young talent there. Of course Oz Rugby's challenge has recently being ensuring these talents continue to develop (as evidence in the seemingly declining abilities of the two Nicks - Frisby and Stirzaker).

Yeah, I agree with you there- depth was the wrong word. There's a wealth of players with potential, but none that are consistently good at international level.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Well, if Nick White was eligible, I'd argue that our No. 9 stocks aren't that bad. Currently, with White leaving and Frisby regressing over the last two years, the depth issue has risen. You could then essentially break the 9's into three categories:

1) Developed - Genia, Phipps, White
2) Developing - Powell, Friby
3) Emerging - Tuttle etc