• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
And yet the greatest rugby nation on the planet has been doing it since forever...

Anyways, RA rolled out a size for age policy this year:

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/02/15/rugby-australia-weight-age-changes

The problem with the RA implementation (if it has actually been implemented - not seen or heard of it actually happening) is that it is quite a range of weights that are allowed - for Under 11's the range is from 29kg (134cm) to 65kg (164cm), so a 10 year old weighing 65kg can be playing against a 29kg kid. Under 12's is 32kg to 72kg. That's the extremes but I am involved in junior rugby and have seen some huge kids who are capable ball runners (not the 'big but don't know what they are doing' argument) and it is intimidating for the smaller kids. Personally I think that the kids have to get used to bigger players but I think that the range is pretty large and I have seen in Under 12's kids who would be around 80kgs.

This is a problem in 2 areas - one, that the bigger kids don't develop the skills as they are just used to playing 'big' and steamrolling everyone, and secondly, that kids drop out/are pulled out by parents, because they are afraid of the kids they are playing against.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
The problem with weight limits is that Rugby should be a game for all people. By the last year of school you have second rowers who are already 6"6 and 115kg and halfbacks who are only 70kg int the same team.

The differences in sizes required for different positions makes it hard to play fair.

I think the weight limits are only valid until U13s from what I could find online for Auckland Rugby (http://www.aucklandrugby.co.nz/Junior-1/Junior-AgeGrade-Weight-Chart) . After that I assume is open, so it wouldn't affect the higher/open age groups or 1st XV rugby. Seems like a decent way to help both the small and big kids alike to make sure they are playing against similar sized players.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the weight limits are only valid until U13s from what I could find online for Auckland Rugby (http://www.aucklandrugby.co.nz/Junior-1/Junior-AgeGrade-Weight-Chart) . After that I assume is open, so it wouldn't affect the higher/open age groups or 1st XV rugby. Seems like a decent way to help both the small and big kids alike to make sure they are playing against similar sized players.

well that solves my issues with weight systems, I couldn't understand how you could have a first fifteen that had guys like Genia,Tongan Thor and Rob Simmons playing together, there would be massive differences within the team. (would be a handy team if it existed!!)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

That's the weight grades for junior rugby (i.e. before high school). The grades for HS rugby in 2018 can be found here. Specifically:

2018 Grades Chart
1st Grade - Under 18 years* & open weight
2nd Grade - Under 19 years & open weight
4th Grade - Under 19 years & under 80kg
Wider Auckland (5th Grade) - Under 19 years & under 70kg
6th Grade - *Under 17 years & under 60kg
Under 15 Open - Under 15 years & open weight
Under 15 Restricted - Under 15 years & under 55kg
Under 14 - Under 14 years & open weight

1st Grade and 2nd Grade = 1st and 2nd XV.

This has changed since I was in HS a decade ago, when the only open weight categories were 1st XV, 2nd XV and U15. Since then they've removed 3rd and 5th grades, while also introducing U15 restricted and U14. Though U15 restricted may effectively be the old 6th Grade, as I'm pretty sure they decreased in ~10 kg bands, and old 3rd Grade was definitely <85 kg. 4th Grade was also the muck around team for guys who weren't so good, or were playing socially, while 6th was the entry grade for really small guys, new comers or, again, guys who were playing socially. So it's weird for me to see them retained while the likes of 3rd and 5th grades are gone.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The day is fast approaching and by all accounts the review has been underway behind the scenes, beginning directly after that horrible loss? Findings to be presented to the board with Michael Cheika present on December 10th.
Dan 54 - interesting read. Who would fill a similar role for the Wallabies?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wasn't sure where to post this, but found this interview with Grant Fox real interesting. One of things was reason why Hansen asked him to join selection panel from outside coaching box, and wonder if it relates to discussion on Chuckles need for assistance.

Another factor might be that every current All Black has the phone number of a couple of former ABs who played their position, so that they can get a bit of counsel when they need it, off the record.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dear Chairman Clyne - you may find this interesting - even enlightening.
To tlk for <1 minute and then NOT answer questions is NOT being accountable.

7 Truths About Accountability That You Need To Know - by Gordon Tredgold

Accountability doesn't happen just by chance, it has to be implemented.

Here are seven truths about accountability, which will help you better understands and increase accountability levels in your organization.
1 - Accountability starts with you
Leadership defines culture, and if you want to create a culture of accountability, then it starts with you. You need to model the behaviors that you want to see in your organization. If you want people to take ownership, then you have to be seen to take ownership, when you make commitments you have to be seen to meet those commitments. If you don't, then why should anyone else be interested in doing so. You have to walk the talk if you want others to follow you don't the accountability path.
2 - You are Accountable
As the leader you are accountable. You're accountable for any failures, as well as any successes that your organization may have. Accountability comes as part of the job description, which is why, if you try to duck it, it will have a negative impact on the levels of accountability that already exist.
3 - Accountability is not a one-time thing
Accountability is not a one-time, sometime thing; it's an all-time thing. Those people who don't want to be accountable, or held accountable, are always looking for any opportunities to get out of it any slips, or gaps in your accountability will give them the out they need, to only be accountable when they see fit.
You need to be seen to be as being accountable at all times.
4 - Accountability applies to one and all
When you're looking to hold people accountable you cannot play favorites; you cannot let it slides with some people. Accountability has to be consistently requested of everyone, all the time. If you chose to let one person ignore their accountabilities then it opens the door for others to be selectively accountable too.
5 - Accountability cannot be delegated
You cannot delegate accountability, accountability is something that has to be accepted for that person to feel accountable and to have them take ownership. The best way to get people to accept accountability is to set them up to be successful. No one is going to take ownership and show accountability for something that they know, or believe is going to fail.
If you want people to accept accountability, ask them if they have everything they need to be successful, when they say yes they have taken a big step towards accepting accountability. If they say no then you need to make sure you provide whatever is missing because without it they will never accept accountability
6 - Accountability is the difference between success and failure
When people don't take accountability and things, start to go awry, as they don't feel ownership they go into spectator mode and watch as things fail. If they thought it would fail from the outset it's even worse; they go into I told you so mode, which nearly always becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Whereas when people take ownership if things start to go wrong, then they step into solution mode. They start to try and figure out whats going wrong and try and fix it. Teams that are successful are full of people that go into solution mode. They are full of people who not only care but take care.
In my experience, accountability is the single biggest differentiator between successful and unsuccessful teams.
7 - You have to hold people Accountable
You can't just tell people they're accountable, and then leave them to it. Yes, it may work for some, but not for all. You need to set up review sessions; you have to check in and see how people are doing.
This serves three purposes:
  • It lets them know that they will be held accountable for the activities.
  • It gives you an opportunity to provide support in case things start to go awry,
  • It offers you the opportunity to offer praise and encouragement to move people further if things are going well.
Accountability is something that has to be worked at. There has to be a clear and consistent strategy on how it's going to be implemented and validated.
It starts with you, and it has to apply at all times and to everyone.
When you can do that it will help you create a culture of accountability where the organization will start to hold itself and others accountable which will have a massive impact on performance and results.

i.e. Apply these rules and maybe the Wallaby coaches and players may consider that they too are accountable.

F for FAIL

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The problem wasn't him not answering questions, it was holding the presser in the first place.

It's the old rule of media - don't open your mouth unless you have something to say.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ive come to agree with the view that there are no worthwhile coaches available right now, so unless they intend to sign an interim coach for a year, they should not sack him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ive come to agree with the view that there are no worthwhile coaches available right now, so unless they intend to sign an interim coach for a year, they should not sack him.

I want the assistants gone and replaced with the Super Rugby coaches to get some buy in on a world cup year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They won't sack Cheika - they've telegraphed this with strategic leaks over the past few weeks.

They'll essentially do nothing, while appearing to do something such as:

Come up with a range of KPIs

Sack the assistants - which is what I think will happen. Standard big bank CEO thinking. Completely ridiculous as Cheika has had complete control of the whole Wallaby program since he took over, including the appointment of assistants.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I want the assistants gone and replaced with the Super Rugby coaches to get some buy in on a world cup year.
Maybe, but maybe it would be better to save what potential we have from what will probably be a scarring experience.

Just let the whole ship sink and rebuild post RWC. It's the cheapest option and has the highest chance of leading to some kind of sustainability. Throwing good money after bad won't help.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would be great if the whole ship could actually sink. Then all the rats might decide that we all have to work together for the sake of survival. At the moment there are far too many vested interests. It is splendidly simple (and incredibly stupid) to blame all our woes on the RA Board.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It would be great if the whole ship could actually sink. Then all the rats might decide that we all have to work together for the sake of survival. At the moment there are far too many vested interests. It is splendidly simple (and incredibly stupid) to blame all our woes on the RA Board.
By ship i just mean the current playing and coaching setup.

You could write a thesis on all the reasons why Rugby is struggling and there are no easy fixes to most of the problems.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The current playing and coaching setup is a good place to start. At the very least there has to be genuine cooperation across and between all levels of the game.

Can that happen short of some kind of catastrophe? I doubt it.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Does RA concentrate on the World Cup too much?

It seems our focus is on winning the World Cup and all of our planning is related to winning one tournament.

Maybe we should concentrate on The Rugby Championship/Bledisloe season and just let the rest of the results flow from that.

Forget picking a team that will win in four years time and just play to win the next match, and then the one after that.

If we go well in the Rugby Championship every year we should get out of the group stage at the world cup and have a fighters chance.

It seems our focus is in the wrong place, surely more revenue would be made if Rugby Championship and Bledisloes were sold out.