• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
More on Bernie punting, per Decent Tom.

So is Cheika throwing Bernie under a Bus? Could be a good way for Bernie to survive an impending bloodbath.

Who will fill the attack coach role?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
They've been working together for how many years and they're only just realising that they both have differences in strategy and game philosophy?

Anyway, sounds like he's just picking up work that Mick Byrne would have been doing now...

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
So, he's going to be a "national high performance coach advisor" instead.

When was Kevin Rudd put in charge of RA's staffing appointments?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I put this post up over on Brumbies, thought it might be more appropriate here.

Can't help feel that Larkham has been dudded. He was pushed into the role way too early, and while attack has not been a strength it is not the key issue at the Wallabies. I'm glad we are not losing him as an Aussie coaching resource even if the role seems a tad made up.

I'd love to see him get the chance to get back to a Super franchise and start working through the stuff he wants to do without someone breathing over his shoulder.

We've invested in the bloke, we should see it through.

G

GingerBreadCrab

Can't help feel that Larkham has been dudded. He was pushed into the role way too early, and while attack has not been a strength it is not the key issue at the Wallabies. I'm glad we are not losing him as an Aussie coaching resource even if the role seems a tad made up.

I'd love to see him get the chance to get back to a Super franchise and start working through the stuff he wants to do without someone breathing over his shoulder.

He’s being spared, not cut loose. The drums are thumping and with the very real possibility that we fail to get out of our group at the RWC (or get knocked out by England in a quarter-final) the coaching staff will all be tossed. This works very much in Larkham’s favour for now, with 10+ years of potential international coaching ahead of him.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Surely Grey and Raiwalui cannot remain?

Where the attack may not have been great it’s hard to score points without decent ball and even more difficult to have to score 30-40 points to top the opposition.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Larkham is better offf distancing himself from Cheika’s poor coaching and player selections... Bernie is young plenty of time in the future to be the national coach. But for Chekia this is his last waltz...

Reactions: dru

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Larkham is better offf distancing himself from Cheika’s poor coaching and player selections. Bernie is young plenty of time in the future to be the national coach. But for Chekia this is his last waltz.

You're saying this like Bernie was some sort of coaching savant that got drug down by Cheika.

If anything, Cheika took him far further than he had any right to go at this stage in his career.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Larkham camp getting the "I wasn't allowed to coach the team" rumours out there

Would be much more convincing if he'd resigned instead of shuffled onto the next high paying unaccountable gig.

How long has he been doing nothing but photoshoots and collecting a paycheck?

(Obviously Cheiks isn't exactly being held to account either)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You're saying this like Bernie was some sort of coaching savant that got drug down by Cheika.

If anything, Cheika took him far further than he had any right to go at this stage in his career.
That's the thing isn't it. After Shute Shield, Celtic cup, European Cup, Super rugby, TRC and final of a world cup we've found China's limit. He's not a very good long term international coach. Still a pretty terrific career, but everyone rises to the level of their incompetence.

Larkham has never been given opportunity based on results alone. We don't know where his limit is. But it seems it's somewhere below where he is now (at the moment anyway)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Larkham camp getting the "I wasn't allowed to coach the team" rumours out there

Would be much more convincing if he'd resigned instead of shuffled onto the next high paying unaccountable gig.

How long has he been doing nothing but photoshoots and collecting a paycheck?

(Obviously Cheiks isn't exactly being held to account either)

Makes a much more plausible story than the alternative from the Cheika apologists that Cheika is a hands off coach who left all the detail to his Assistants to work out.

I have no idea where Larkham will finish or go next to in his coaching career. My beef is that Cheika as head coach presiding over the worst period of Wallaby results in living memory should have been the first one held accountable for the continuing failures. It does nobody any credit to defend the man in charge by blaming his underlings.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It was last year, outside lineouts.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Dudded?

Given an opportunity, underperformed,parachuted into another high paying role without any real performance measures.

Can someone dud me please.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's the thing isn't it. After Shute Shield, Celtic cup, European Cup, Super rugby, TRC and final of a world cup we've found China's limit. He's not a very good long term international coach. Still a pretty terrific career, but everyone rises to the level of their incompetence.

Larkham has never been given opportunity based on results alone. We don't know where his limit is. But it seems it's somewhere below where he is now (at the moment anyway)

That's the thing. I firmly believe we should not be tossing Larkham, but parachuting into WB HC after the RWC is too much, undeserved, inappropriate and extending the impression the old boys network further. He needs to find a way back to pro club rugby and very much preferably here in Australia. Take his recent WB experience with him to build more complete approaches into franchise rugby. Then show what he can do with it.

He deserves another chance to prove he might be worthy of international honours. He does not deserve international honours right now nor immediately after the RWC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
we've found China's limit. He's not a very good long term international coach.

But this is normal for a coach. I'd say it was known 5 years ago that Cheika wasn't a long tenure coach. Few are.

If he moved his tent again to fresh fields (say back to Europe), and used his same methods on a team needing a turn around, there's a good chance he'd return to success. For a while.

Suspect he won't do so, though. Well, not in 2020. Doesn't need it and he'll probably want a rugby break.

IMO Larkham should be looking for an opportunity outside Australia if he wants to prove, and improve, his level. Not the Wallabies job.