• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Hey, does anyone know if players in Japan's revamped comp will be earning more than payers in Super Rugby, in general?

Because if so, I was thinking that RA could open up to picking Wallabies who are playing in Japan. This way players might be more likely to play in Japan for the money rather than Europe. And if Japan is in the RC and in sync with the SH nations, then it would be much easier to access players for test rugby and the World Cup. Japan is also not too far away and in a similar time zone. So would be easier on the players to bring them home for test duty.

A side issue might be that Australia has to reduce back to 3 Super Rugby teams to keep them competitive, and move the Rebels across to GRR.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey, does anyone know if players in Japan's revamped comp will be earning more than payers in Super Rugby, in general?

Because if so, I was thinking that RA could open up to picking Wallabies who are playing in Japan. This way players might be more likely to play in Japan for the money rather than Europe. And if Japan is in the RC and in sync with the SH nations, then it would be much easier to access players for test rugby and the World Cup. Japan is also not too far away and in a similar time zone. So would be easier on the players to bring them home for test duty.

A side issue might be that Australia has to reduce back to 3 Super Rugby teams to keep them competitive, and move the Rebels across to GRR.
Pardon?

Reactions: dru

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
C'mon rebelsfan,it's good over here in GRR land!

Be that as it may, but if Australia has to reduce back to 3 Super Rugby teams to keep competitive, then why is the default option the Rebels? I mean what is the process there?
And go GRR, I love the competition and, well done on the win this year.

S

Show-n-go

Be that as it may, but if Australia has to reduce back to 3 Super Rugby teams to keep competitive, then why is the default option the Rebels? I mean what is the process there?

Doubt we’d drop to 3 but if we did I think rebels would be the pretty obvious choice

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

To be fair, many think the Rebels should have gone before the Force.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes, but what is the process? What is the criteria to offload another team? Surely there should be some transparency in this (this time)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yes, but what is the process? What is the criteria to offload another team? Surely there should be some transparency in this (this time)

Cost would be one I'd imagine. The Rebels have been a pretty expensive enterprise for RA. I came to the conclusion a while back that we probably pushed for the wrong kind of expansion post S12. We should have pressed for an expansion of the schedule to a double round robin first with the original three setting up systems below that to filter talent into the elite game from Melbourne and Perth (funding a squad in either the Shute/QPR or an NRC like competition) before looking to increase our involvement.

The issue with offloading a team we don't want to lose it. That would mean it would need to be self funded in some way.

S

Show-n-go

Cost

potential growth

Supporter base

Development of players

Junior pathways

Grassroots

History

Pretty much every metric besides potential growth, Rebels come last. Even potential growth they haven’t really delivered at this point

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Not sure if you are serious. The only other candidate would be the ACT. A Lay down misere.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Cost

potential growth

Supporter base

Development of players

Junior pathways

Grassroots

History

Pretty much every metric besides potential growth, Rebels come last. Even potential growth they haven’t really delivered at this point

Actually, potential growth would be slow in Victoria too as school boy teams are dwindling and clubs are dwindling. But I think we have produced some good coaches at school and club level.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Actually, potential growth would be slow in Victoria too as school boy teams are dwindling and clubs are dwindling. But I think we have produced some good coaches at school and club level.

Doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose of the rebels, if growth in schoolboys and clubs are dwindling.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose of the rebels, if growth in schoolboys and clubs are dwindling.

Harsh but fair.
Although, I was of the belief that rugby was a national sport and as such it should have a national footprint for its professional base. As far as Victoria goes, we have a large polyneasian demographic who have natural rugby skills and talents - see latest recruits into the under 20's, and rugby offers the opportunity for people of all ages to join a social network which in these days of adverse mental health issues, is very important. Do we need a professional base to accomplish this? Probably not

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Harsh but fair.
Although, I was of the belief that rugby was a national sport and as such it should have a national footprint for its professional base. As far as Victoria goes, we have a large polyneasian demographic who have natural rugby skills and talents - see latest recruits into the under 20's, and rugby offers the opportunity for people of all ages to join a social network which in these days of adverse mental health issues, is very important. Do we need a professional base to accomplish this? Probably not

A national footprint can work in more ways than one. We could have looked to fund development and academies in both Melbourne and Perth and pushing their entry into either one of the premier club comps or an NRC like competition while pushing for the S12 structure to move to a double round robin meaning a 22 round season. The Brumbies could have been designated Victoria while both NSW and Qld could have shared WA both taking games to the state.

Compete in the expanded S12 for a while before looking at which one was producing the most talent and support and then push for a 4th squad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If we have to go through the whole 'let's cut a club thing' I'm completely done with Super Rugby.

I seriously doubt we'll be going down that path. Though letting one fail might be on the books. The key in either scenario is the fortification of the pathway via the NRC. If say the Rebels were to leave Super Rugby having regular interaction with the pathway via the NRC would be an imperative.

S

Show-n-go

I seriously doubt we'll be going down that path. Though letting one fail might be on the books. The key in either scenario is the fortification of the pathway via the NRC. If say the Rebels were to leave Super Rugby having regular interaction with the pathway via the NRC would be an imperative.

I’d add GRR too if possible, and have some sort of exchange program set up where squad members from super sides could be loaned out to our GRR sides

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I’d add GRR too if possible, and have some sort of exchange program set up where squad members from super sides could be loaned out to our GRR sides

If we were to go down the path of cutting a team I would hope that they'd be headed for GRR as an alternative. Even so. I still think partnering with GRR would be a solid move. Give opportunities to a wider array of players to play professionally across a broader base. Such as our U20s.