• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unhinged is not how I would describe Israel.
There is more to his increased claim than a lost captaincy opportunity:
He also claims he stood to make up to $1.5 million a season with an overseas club for two-to-three years when his contract with RA was up. (MSN News)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Unhinged is not how I would describe Israel.
There is more to his increased claim than a lost captaincy opportunity:
He also claims he stood to make up to $1.5 million a season with an overseas club for two-to-three years when his contract with RA was up. (MSN News)

Nothing stopping him from going overseas now

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
You must’ve missed his sermon on bushfires...

It's one thing to argue against Israel's fire and brimstone approach to interpreting the Bible, and quite another to say he is mentally unstable.
Most people agree with Greta Thunberg's interpretation of climate science and those who call her unhinged are pilloried.
Greta and Israel are polar opposites with firmly held views. Debatable viewpoints - yes. Mentally unstable - no.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nothing stopping him from going overseas now

Nothing at all - except his own actions mean no other club are likely to touch him until the court case dies down.

Anyway, steering this discussion away from the rocks of re-hash, what do we think of the latest coaching shit?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's one thing to argue against Israel's fire and brimstone approach to interpreting the Bible, and quite another to say he is mentally unstable.
Most people agree with Greta Thunberg's interpretation of climate science and those who call her unhinged are pilloried.
Greta and Israel are polar opposites with firmly held views. Debatable viewpoints - yes. Mentally unstable - no.

No, they’re not, because......... science.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd love to be debating Israel's captaincy potential.
But no. Instead, here we are looking at the possibility of a $14m payout from RA who could have avoided the whole mess.

I know I am slowing down a bit, but please tell me exactly how RA could have avoided the whole mess without making a different kind of mess.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I was distinctly unimpressed that Folau was given such a lucrative, long term contract, considering his continued refusal to learn to kick or pass, and his existing off-field issues. I am of the view that the ARU should've offered him considerably less, but let's not kid ourselves; if Folau was offered what I think he was worth, and subsequently walked, the ARU would have been mercilessly pilloried. Considering his obvious persecution complex and the fact that he'd already been warned about issuing fatwas, there's no guarantee he wouldn't have gone on to sue them anyway.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Never thought GAGR would end up debating that bushfires are caused by gay marriage, but....... here we are.

Bushfires which, by the way, have thrived under this bungling RA administration. Raelene doesn't understand rugby in this country, and she doesn't understand the importance of controlled backburning to prevent major fires. Why would she? A kiwi sheila who has never been on the bottom of a ruck OR on the firefront with 40km/h winds fanning the flames.

GG Resign Raylene.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know I am slowing down a bit, but please tell me exactly how RA could have avoided the whole mess without making a different kind of mess.

Here's a start - accepting Folau's apology and social media monitoring.
The statement says Folau made "reasonable and substantial efforts to avoid termination whilst maintaining and respecting his faith", including by offering to have his social media posts reviewed before publishing.
He also offered to provide a public apology in the following words: "I sincerely understand that what I have posted has been hurtful to some readers. This was never my intention, so for that reason, I wholeheartedly apologise for any pain or sense of confusion that that has caused." Stuff NZ.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here's a start - accepting Folau's apology and social media monitoring.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that was all in relation to the first post which he did take down and apologised for.

The second time around he refused to take it down and apologise (seemingly prompted by his father telling him it would be sinful to back down and remove his post).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Correct me if I'm wrong but that was all in relation to the first post which he did take down and apologised for.

The second time around he refused to take it down and apologise (seemingly prompted by his father telling him it would be sinful to back down and remove his post).

I believe he offered to apologise publicly (after it was clear RA weren't backing down, from memory) but also wanted an apology from RA. And admitted he'd probably continue to post such material.

#sorrynotsorry