• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Ah, the lawyers fault. Got it. Poor Izzy taken for a ride, when he only wanted a $10 million apology and was forced to ask for a $14 million one. Or is it $16 million with the ACL money? So hard to keep track of all this financial balm to soothe his infringed freedom.

"We are so proud of our enormous win. We now know how Eddie Mabo felt"

S

sidelineview

Why would I give a shit about what the ACL says? Perhaps we should contact George Pell? Or do you have another convicted sex offender that could give us an appropriately christian take on things?

Personally, I enjoy listening to Martin Iles from ACL. He makes a lot of sense in my opinion.
There's been quite a few convicted Christian sex offenders unfortunately.
That's the truth.

S

sidelineview

Ah, the lawyers fault. Got it. Poor Izzy taken for a ride, when he only wanted a $10 million apology and was forced to ask for a $14 million one. Or is it $16 million with the ACL money? So hard to keep track of all this financial balm to soothe his infringed freedom.

No I don't think he was taken for a ride.
It's just what lawyers do. They're out to win; that's their job.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I like the result? RA wanted folau gone and he's gone.

Just noticed that you have default remarks (lawyers/legislation/such a great win) for when you feel unwilling to or incapable of addressing a point someone has made.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
If you think Folau has won you're sadly mistaken.

He will not play high level rugby or any sport again. Perhaps some semi pro islander rugby but he now has to make whatever payout he has survive for the rest of his life, so I hope he invests it wisely. Like the rest of the front page glory boys he will be forgotten by the way side in a year as rugby and the news cycle will move on. This case, due to being a settlement, has absolutely 0 bearing on future cases as it wasn't a court decision. So he wish/desire to draw a line in the sand for everyone didn't come to fruition either.

So I hope he enjoys his lotto winnings but like most lotto winners the money will disappear and I think he will look back with regret on what has unfolded. Instead of being regarded as one of the best try scorers in rugby he will be remembered as a sad day in the RA history books. For the RA this is dead and buried now, they can focus on getting a new chairman, coaching set up and making the Wallabies great again (borrowed that one from the right wing journos).

S

sidelineview

I like the result? RA wanted folau gone and he's gone.

Just noticed that you have default remarks (lawyers/legislation/such a great win) for when you feel unwilling to or incapable of addressing a point someone has made.

What point is that?

S

sidelineview

If you think Folau has won you're sadly mistaken.

He will not play high level rugby or any sport again. Perhaps some semi pro islander rugby but he now has to make whatever payout he has survive for the rest of his life, so I hope he invests it wisely. Like the rest of the front page glory boys he will be forgotten by the way side in a year as rugby and the news cycle will move on. This case, due to being a settlement, has absolutely 0 bearing on future cases as it wasn't a court decision. So he wish/desire to draw a line in the sand for everyone didn't come to fruition either.

So I hope he enjoys his lotto winnings but like most lotto winners the money will disappear and I think he will look back with regret on what has unfolded. Instead of being regarded as one of the best try scorers in rugby he will be remembered as a sad day in the RA history books. For the RA this is dead and buried now, they can focus on getting a new chairman, coaching set up and making the Wallabies great again (borrowed that one from the right wing journos).

Believe me, his victory in his eyes and those of his supporters is very real and rises above him being able to play footy again or earn money from sport. Some people just cant be convinced that it's not about money.

No, there was no legal precedent set but it was a warning shot across the bow of ... what? employers who think they can easily sack employees for expressing their religious beliefs to appease corporate sponsors?

Yeah, that might be it but you're entitled to disagree.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Two sides to that argument.

It’s a victory for all those who support and promote anti-discimination to see Folau lose his job for what he said, regardless of whatever settlement he was offered.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I struggle to believe its not about money when he ups his claim from 10 to 14 mill. Surely if it weren't about money he'd just want his contract reinstated and RA to admit they were wrong? Of course in the eye of his supporters its a victory but for others who don't believe people should be discriminated against for their sexuality its a win for them as he is no longer part of Rugby.

Whats the warning? RA have got rid of him and their insurance covers the cost, to many this has been good media attention of RA taking a stand against discrimination. He is still sacked and not other leagues/sports will employ him so surely its a warning that RA/sport in general won't tolerate discriminatory behavior.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Just for a bit of respite:

I don't know if there are any other Joan Jett fans here, but I saw this video for the first time the other day and it brought a smile to my face. It's about the dangers of oversharing on social media which is very relevant to this scandal (and a pretty good tune too) so enjoy:

Smart woman, Joan Jett.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway I happy it over, it sad for Izzy that he appears to strongly believe and support a God that he seems to think burns property, kill innocent animals and a few people to teach a country a lesson for having laws he doesn't like. Still I read a few fictional books too, but just don't bother to quote them on a facebook page that shows me wearing a uniform of a team or company I get paid a lot of money to represent! hopefully with the cash he can get help!