• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh fuck off Foxsports. Pulver and his lawyers drafted that shitty deal up and Cheika fired Larkham without running it by management.
That's actually not entirely what happened either, but that's irrelevant. But, in any event, whatever was paid to Larkham was based on his contract signed prior.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
That's actually not entirely what happened either, but that's irrelevant. But, in any event, whatever was paid to Larkham was based on his contract signed prior.

... Cheika ... presented to the board in December 2018 that he wanted to make some staff changes, which he thought would help take the team forward into the crucial World Cup year.
At that point however, Cheika wasn’t given a sign off to make any changes to his coaching staff yet.
Cheika then – without clearance from human resources – sacked Larkham, who he had previously anointed as his heir apparent.

That's from the article where I've removed the fluff. What am I missing?

Larkham as paid his contract that was drafted by Pulver and the counsel as they used the same contract as Cheika. So how the hell is this Castle's mess?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Larkham as paid his contract that was drafted by Pulver and the counsel as they used the same contract as Cheika. So how the hell is this Castle's mess?
This isn’t. But evidently there is shit going down that is.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I didn't say it was Castle's mess. I said the "sacking" of Larkham was not as straightforward as that - there are other factors in the story as to Larkham "moving on" besides the oft-repeated accepted wisdom here. But that is irrelevant to the fact the contract was signed previously so it is NOT Castle's issue at all.

Interested party

Frank Nicholson (4)
As someone who has been involved with Rugby at various levels from volunteer to now as one of the "stood down" staff at a franchise I cannot understand why Rugby has to tear itself apart.
Anyone working in Rugby does it for the love of Rugby certainly not the pay.
With Rupa being funded by Rugby Au why do they not just stand down in the same way as almost every other staff member.
Or come out and announce pay cuts.
Many players were prepared for this on Monday but now we have this stand off re needing to see the financials.
Perhaps the Rupa staff are worried their wages won't get paid by Rugby Au at all...
Perhaps Rugby Au should declare bankruptcy.
Tear up the Rupa agreement and then start afresh with some realistic player payments and conditions...and if the players don't like it they could go overseas....but good luck getting huge amounts there in future!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
News Ltd is pushing the sack Castle and install Kearns angle for all it's worth to the point where it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Yes, it is that repeating loop, increasing the frequency of the News Ltd / Fox propaganda, that will topple the RA hierarchy to give News Ltd / Fox exactly what it wants. Tail wagging the dog. I just hope those in control do not succumb to this BS peddled in the media that has its own agenda.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How many cancelled Foxtel/ Kayo/ News Ltd rag subscriptions/ ad placements would it take for the cnuts to back off? Alternatively, if the RA Board caves & fires Castle I hope she takes them for every dollar they still possess. Let Fox & Kearns have their fifteen minutes of glory then have to deal with the scorched earth they will have created.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Phil Kearns was going to take over from Castle back in December.......... according to Ben Fordham?

Let's see how this one plays out with all the noise coming from the one usual suspect.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If I'm reading the shenanigans about Larkham's contract right, well its classic fucking rugby innit? "Ah yes he's a good Old Boy and everything will be fine!"

But the time the shit hits, the parties responsible have moved on.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How many cancelled Foxtel/ Kayo/ News Ltd rag subscriptions/ ad placements would it take for the cnuts to back off? Alternatively, if the RA Board caves & fires Castle I hope she takes them for every dollar they still possess. Let Fox & Kearns have their fifteen minutes of glory then have to deal with the scorched earth they will have created.
I understand the sentiment - but the scorched earth that you are talking about is the rugby I want to watch.

I would much prefer RC weathers the storm and we find our way through this mess with as much of the game intact as possible.

I don’t necessarily mind if there is significant remodelling - which seems inevitable - although I will admit to being one of the apparent few who still loves super rugby. But I don’t really want a complete return to the 90s.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thought I’d add pointlessly in support of those fi ding the concept of Kearns as CEO more than distasteful. A lot

Those suggesting there is something more to the hysteria attacks on Castle should expand. Or shut up.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
To be fair, Kearns should've got the gig last time. Clyne didn't want someone who'd stand up to him so actively lobbied the States on a 'Anyone but Kearns' campaign