• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, there's a reason I haven't been posting much on this thread lately. Within a few minutes of criticizing Castle, and I'm a retarded idiot who's talking bullshit.

It is emotional for most who follow rugby, like your post here. I presumed it was a case of a touch too much red wine before hitting <post> god knows I'm guilty of it. But given the continuance I think not. To be faiur though, most of the responses are also emotional and ad hominem.

Well, some of Raelene's greatest hits are:

- Sacking Israel Folau for non-rugby related reasons and having to pay him a seven-figure settlement as a result;

I tend to agree with you here, a scenario that was going to happen in Aus, but that rugby did not need to be the test case. But was it Castle or Clyne (and other members of the board) driving it? Hard to say. NOT hard to see that she drove the conclusion. Best that could be made out of a cluster F@&%

Telling Foxtel to walk after they offered the same money for less content, leaving rugby the only major sport without a broadcast partner

What is your source for this? It is completely contrary to the discussion and information that has been under discussion for some time. The generally held position is that Foxtel threw a low ball thinking that RA had no choice and that it was a good way to set a precedent for all sport negotiations on the schedule.

But even if you are correct, there is a problem with RA seeking to better their position?

These actions were far from the issue that left rugby without a broadcast partner. CV-19, the Fox media attack etc.

Not presenting any audited financial statements, leaving stakeholders to speculate as to the true financial position of Australian rugby

Statement interrupted by the CV-19 close down and a nervousness from auditors on how to handle projections. It is an outside event that could not be planned for.

Oh, yeah - presiding over the worst run of Wallabies results in recent history.

With a set up she inherited and with "run of results" predating her. Also ignores the on-going battle she had attempting to get Cheika under control and the limitations she inherited in the contract she inherited.

Add to that she apparently only got the job because a) Cameron Clyne knew her, and b) they needed a woman on the board to make up the numbers, and I'd say her departure is well due.

Where are these appearances? What I have seen is a situation where Clyne was starting to lose his grip on the situation, they found a candidate who managed to get through Clyne's requirements but who was subsequently prepared to work independently.

Of course there's no guarantee that whoever replaces her will be better, but at the very least they've got to go through a better process than the one that appointed her.

Well finally something we can agree on. Unfortunately though, due to the manner of this passing and the self appointed parties influencing matters, the "process" has already begun nowhere near as responsible as the admittedly dodgy processes of the past.

All the best Aurelius, but for me you are tarring Castle with matters are either incorrect or outside her control, and have missed the good she was actually doing.

We have most of us got an idea on a vision for the future of rugby, whatever yours is, just remember the Irish saying when asked for directions "well if that is where you are going, I wouldn't start from here".

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The fact that Folau was awarded millions in damages rather suggests that RA was in the wrong.

As someone who supported Israel (and generally the freedom for religion) this is just not correct.

Castle made a call that the matter being drawn out with legal costs over a long period of time was going to be expensive in terms of good will, media and $. She saught an early end.

Noting again I was an Israel supporter, and like many of us, feel he completely lost the ethical grounding by agreeing to deal rather than see it out on the basis of it's merits.

Annoyingly, a clear win to RA.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This is a fucking joke, If Phil Fucking Kearns gets the job that's me done.

Not just you done, it’s the game that’s done.

anyone who publicly lobbies for the incumbent to be summarily dismissed without discussion ( for a role that they were passed over) can’t credibly be considered to be the logical successor.
Not fit for purpose would be the best descriptor.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Anything can be written in to a contract within reason, but what would be the logic of that? It may be that RC promised him certain things but the crucial element would be the delivery of those things, not the person who promoted see them. Anyway, we will see, but her interview on the 7.30 report which was recorded prior to her resignation would indicate he won’t walk. This from the Aus this morning:

View attachment 11428

I agree a get out clause in Rennie's case would be unlikely. But it is possible.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Paul McLean allegedly saying he might bring forward his departure date of 31st July (which was self imposed anyway). No shock there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From an article on Roar.

Castle completed an interview with ABC TV prior to her resignation and said then she believed David Rennie would honour his contract to coach the Wallabies regardless of her situation.

“Ultimately he knows that things can change and I know he has a desperate desire to coach the Wallabies. He’s done a lot work and he’s excited about the young talent coming through,” she said.
“He will come here regardless of where I sit.”

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I was a bit surprised by her statement that Rennie "has a desperate desire to coach the Wallabies". We are all desperate for him to succeed, for sure, but I hope he has a less dramatic motivation.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
But I was amazed to with the dally vitriol in New's outlets, and from writers well outside sport let alone RA. I don't know if it was orchestrated of just a pile on the dead woman walking, but it was crap. I don't think a man would have been treated as badly

I listen to the Sounding Board podcast which has Damian Barrett (ex-News, AFL journalist) and Craig Hutchison (radio owner/content provider, ex-News journalist). It is basically a journalism podcast, although given their backgrounds it has an AFL flavour to it. They are very open that editorial position is dictated and the journalists and writers are expected to follow that tune. Content will also be edited to reflect the position of the day at times, so it doesn't necessarily even come from the journalist. Think of News' political coverage for example. They kicked the crap out of Daniel Andrews down here last election until it was clear they weren't going to change the public view and then swung in behind him for the last week or so. Same playbook on a smaller scale with RA and Castle.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have generally thought Castle would rate a "B" (she did some good things and some stuff I was less enamored with) but I think it is unlikely we could find someone who would have performed better honestly, she was polishing a turd.
It will be fascinating to see just who is willing to take this undoable job on.
But I was amazed to with the dally vitriol in New's outlets, and from writers well outside sport let alone RA. I don't know if it was orchestrated of just a pile on the dead woman walking, but it was crap. I don't think a man would have been treated as badly

She copped pretty much universal vitriol from a lot of the game's supposed supporters, too. Including here of course.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wayne Smith on Grandstand this morning, ouch! Worth a listen if anyone gets the chance.

It’s no surprise he has largely distanced himself from plenty of the hand grenades thrown out over the past month.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I see there are some listing RA re-signing Folau without inserting a social media good behaviour clause in his contract as one of Castle's failings. Are those people saying that had RA sought to insert such a clause, which the player's collective says they can't, then used Folau's refusal as grounds to not offer him a new contract, they'd have been OK with that? That's certainly not the impression I got from reading the now-locked Folau thread & this one from time to time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see there are some listing RA re-signing Folau without inserting a social media good behaviour clause in his contract as one of Castle's failings. Are those people saying that had RA sought to insert such a clause, which the player's collective says they can't, then used Folau's refusal as grounds to not offer him a new contract, they'd have been OK with that? That's certainly not the impression I got from reading the now-locked Folau thread & this one from time to time.

They could have, they just couldn't make it a penalty. It is a standard legal framework, you make a portion of the deal bonuses, subject to performance and/or complying with social medai requirements ie. a good behaviour bonus.

It is exactly the same for most home loans, the real rate is 2% or 3% above what you pay and you get a discount for paying on time that disappears if you are in arrears.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It will be fascinating to see just who is willing to take this undoable job on

On the other hand, the code has now sunk so low, and the pandemic been so devastating that there's a pretty low bar for success. Whoever takes on the job should also find it easier to make transformative changes as the status quo is surely no longer viable.

There's also a Lions tour coming up in 2025 and a highly probable Australian hosted world cup in 2027. I think the 2027 host nation will be voted on next year (the vote for 2023 was in November 2017). That becoming official will be a huge positive for the game for the next several years.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
NZ statement on Castle. This is a worry.

Attachments

• 00651BB7-1104-4435-A1BC-4C54A3920ADE.png
    00651BB7-1104-4435-A1BC-4C54A3920ADE.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 260

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Wayne Smith on Grandstand this morning, ouch! Worth a listen if anyone gets the chance.

It’s no surprise he has largely distanced himself from plenty of the hand grenades thrown out over the past month.

Any chance of sharing a link?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have generally thought Castle would rate a "B" (she did some good things and some stuff I was less enamored with).

I agree with this assessment. Whilst many think otherwise, I'm not super pro-Raelene. She has her flaws, but because of the campaign against her by ex-players, current players, RUPA, News Corp, Jones et al., I found myself drawn to her defence time after time after time.

The next person (well, let's face it it's going to be a man but I'll be politically correct for now) may well turn out to be a better CEO.

In a weird way it's a good time to come into the job. COVID presents the game with a unique opportunity to build from the ground up and most importantly the Trans-Tasman 'bubble' might well force the NZRU to consider the much-vaunted AUS/NZ combined competition, even if it's only for a month or two.

The unfortunate shame of the Castle administration is her mistakes will be remembered, but the seeds she has planted will be harvested by others: the Wallaby coaching team, junior talent, 2027 Cup bid etc.

But I'm sad because I don't think she really got the chance she deserved. If all that actually mattered was the 'best interests of Australian rugby' then I think it would have gone differently.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
What is your source for this? It is completely contrary to the discussion and information that has been under discussion for some time. The generally held position is that Foxtel threw a low ball thinking that RA had no choice and that it was a good way to set a precedent for all sport negotiations on the schedule.

Okay, I admit to relying on my memory on this one. My recollection of what I read in the Oz from a couple of months back was that Foxtel had offered to match the amount of the previous deal for Super Rugby and broadcast a Shute Shield match of the week. If I'm wrong about the fine details of what was offered, so be it.

But it's a fact that Rugby is still the only major sporting code without a broadcast deal, and to me it was always fanciful that she was going to get a better deal from a streaming service with no prior experience in producing rugby broadcasts. My word, I bet RA wish she'd taken what was offer now.

Statement interrupted by the CV-19 close down and a nervousness from auditors on how to handle projections. It is an outside event that could not be planned for.

You can still get statements audited. Financial services firms and audit companies are still in operation. And you certainly shouldn't present unaudited statements to the board or for public consumption. It just undermines confidence in the financials of the game.

With a set up she inherited and with "run of results" predating her. Also ignores the on-going battle she had attempting to get Cheika under control and the limitations she inherited in the contract she inherited.

Of course I don't blame Castle alone for our on field results. But thanks to her, we weren't able to put our best 15 on the park at the World Cup. And frankly, having such a fractious relationship with the coach should probably also be a mark against her.

Besides, plenty of posters on this thread are perfectly happy to list the improvement of our under 20s among her accomplishments. If she's going to get credit for one, she has to be accountable for the other.

Look, I'm a great believer in Occam's Razor. I look at these issues and read the coverage of the game and come to one of two conclusions. Either she's the unluckiest CEO in the sporting world, with nothing going wrong on her watch coming under her control and her simultaneously being sabotaged by a nefarious cabal of Sydney club rugby elites and nefarious Newscorp journos for their own nefarious ends. Or, she's simply been promoted above the level of her competence.

Occam's Razor strongly suggests the latter. And while I'm the first to admit that I'm not an expert on a lot of this stuff, when countless former Wallabies (including men I consider to be of great character, such as Nathan Sharpe and Stirling Mortlock) and rugby reporters think she's not up to the job, culminating in her own board losing confidence in her, then I think the Occam's Razor explanation is pretty strongly supported.

As Kenny Powers pointed out very sensibly, Raelene Castle now has a chance to prove us doubters wrong. If she gets snapped up by an NRL club and is a great success, so be it. But as she apparently wasn't a great success at her previous club or with RA, well ... that's the sort of track record which just adds to the Occam's Razor explanation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I also think it is time we get down to basics and understand what RA is about

It is a business about making content to comply with a media contract and sponsorships.

The best content is winning teams. We watch winning teams. We can then charge more for the content and sponsorships

The rest is froth and bubbles