• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Do we think Fox are keen to get Phil Kearns into the role? Straight from their news service.

"The biggest concern for many is his longstanding links to Fox, having been a commentator for some time. But if he can use those connections to help RA secure a new broadcast deal, it would be a masterstroke for the board to appoint him to the top job."

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So maybe just have a lottery. Throw it open to all rugby supporters, and draw the 8 or 10 board members out of the hat. See how it goes. Or emulate the Greens, and allow all the membership to have a vote. My betting is that the membership would want to have the same type and calibre of board members and executive that we have today.

Elitists like you have a real fear of the people making decisions don't you?

And I never suggested that everyone get a vote - another deliberate misrepresentation - stakeholders get a vote. Seems to work ok in England and rugby in England has been on an upward trajectory for a while mirroring our downward trajectory. Maybe it's just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Do we think Fox are keen to get Phil Kearns into the role? Straight from their news service.

"The biggest concern for many is his longstanding links to Fox, having been a commentator for some time. But if he can use those connections to help RA secure a new broadcast deal, it would be a masterstroke for the board to appoint him to the top job."

Ludicrous. Is there really a single person who believes this to be true? Unless they mean "it would be a masterstroke by News Corp to have the board appoint him to the top job."

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
convenient revisionism.

The list of her failings are amusingly contrived - outside of bible thumpers thinking Folau should have been given the cross of valour for slagging gays.

Our obviously bad books not being opened prior to being audited? jesus. As if you couldn't tell that we were getting financially reamed regardless.

The only potentially valid criticism i can think of is that she didn't move Cheika on sooner. But then we would not have got Rennie (who we've probably lost) so in my view it didn't turn out to be a bad decision.

Almost inclined to agree D, but with Scott Johnson already on the payroll, it must have been at least a little bit enticing to sack the underperforming and divisive head coach 12 months ago and let SJ take the team to the RWC and after until Dave could take up the reins. Just pay Cheika out for the remainder of his contract and move on with Johnson performing the HC role instead of individually managing Cheika for his pay packet.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
RA are like every other sport - they can sell broadcast rights to whomever they please. It doesn't necessarily need to be the highest bidder either. Just because someone makes a bid doesn't mean that they have the right to expect anything.

Interesting point you make.

There was talk that RA (&RC) were actually willing to take a haircut to get Some super on FTA. Try and grow the interest in the game by giving free access to the masses.

But leaks would suggest the deal with Optus and 10 not only achieved this but was also for greater Dollars then the Fox offer.

If that was still the case, why would you sign for less with Fox?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Almost inclined to agree D, but with Scott Johnson already on the payroll, it must have been at least a little bit enticing to sack the underperforming and divisive head coach 12 months ago and let SJ take the team to the RWC and after until Dave could take up the reins. Just pay Cheika out for the remainder of his contract and move on with Johnson performing the HC role instead of individually managing Cheika for his pay packet.

With the wonders of retrospect Scott Johnson probably wouldn't have done any worse - and he probably would have done it tanty free. But eh, at the time it seemed the commercially prudent move to make.

But like i said, as far as i can see that's the most questionable decision in my mind and it's 50/50.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
With the wonders of retrospect Scott Johnson probably wouldn't have done any worse - and he probably would have done it tanty free. But eh, at the time it seemed the commercially prudent move to make.

But like i said, as far as i can see that's the most questionable decision in my mind and it's 50/50.
But that’s with retrospect. We all know that the anti-Rae band would have jumped on the equal worst performance by an Australian team and immediately linked it to her sacking of the coach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting point you make.

There was talk that RA (&RC) were actually willing to take a haircut to get Some super on FTA. Try and grow the interest in the game by giving free access to the masses.

But leaks would suggest the deal with Optus and 10 not only achieved this but was also for greater Dollars then the Fox offer.

If that was still the case, why would you sign for less with Fox?

And if it weren’t for a global pandemic, the contract with Optus and FTA would’ve been signed already and we’d be applauding Castle for negotiating a more lucrative deal, but alas we’re probably now even in a worse bargaining position without her.........

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
f.jpg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And if it weren’t for a global pandemic, the contract with Optus and FTA would’ve been signed already and we’d be applauding Castle for negotiating a more lucrative deal, but alas we’re probably now even in a worse bargaining position without her...

Do we know that though? All I've read is that it was only a couple of weeks away from being finalised when CV hit. I certainly haven't seen any concrete figures.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But that’s with retrospect. We all know that the anti-Rae band would have jumped on the equal worst performance by an Australian team and immediately linked it to her sacking of the coach.

At that stage we'd had four years of declining performances by the Wallabies to the point of being near or at the lowest ranking ever for our national team. It would have been disingenuous in the extreme for anyone to place the blame for the last year or so on the CEO or Johnson in that interim period (though, of course many posts here would indicate that quite a few would have been willing to do so).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All we know is what has been reported, which was that the Optus offer was apparently significantly higher than Foxtel’s initial bid...

So if Fox friendly CEO arrives, wait for the "we reviewed the results from the bids and found them quite different to the reporting. And we would like to welcome again our solid partner etc etc"

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can we run some sort of poll via the forum and the front page?

"Who is your preference to become next CEO of Australian Rugby:

(a) Anybody but Phil Kearns
(b) Phil Kearns"

We can then another field to add comments stating why you chose the option that you chose. Supporting evidence etc.

I will wrap all of the data and comments up, and email them to every employee at Rugby Australia.

They need to know that Australian rugbys mega-fans despise the fucker.