• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
James Sutherland?

Hard pass.
I don’t know a lot about his CA tenure TBH, and I wasn’t advocating his appointment, just noting that he is a sports administrator who is available. With most of my decision making I go through the process of elimination.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There are a few fundamentals anyone wanting to put a plan for RA has to accept, which I think many don't.

Number one, it is a multi-million dollar business, not a social club. It has employees, overheads and running costs, and must generate sufficient income to cover them. It can borrow money, but any debt has to be serviced. If it continues to lose money, it must fail.

Number two, it is in the entertainment business. All it's revenue relies entirely on the number of eyes and ears engaged by the product. That includes bums on seats at games, broadcast deals which rely entirely on the number of people who will watch/listen to the games, thus allowing broadcasters to sell advertising and monetise it. Likewise sponsorships rely on the number of people who will see the sponsor being associated with the game, and thus attracted to that sponsor's products.

Thirdly, the shareholders are the rugby community, the so-called 'grassroots' we all get so excited about, everything from Shute Shield to Mudgee under 12's. The continually called for funding of 'grassroots', however you allocate that, is basically the paying of dividends to the shareholders. Like any business, dividends can only be paid when you generate a profit, generated by (2) to ensure you can cover (1).

There's a lot of talk about culture, junior development etc etc, but from an RA point of view, the ability to do all of that comes back to these three essential elements, and any plan that doesn't comprehensively address these three cannot be sustainable.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, ok.

New Zealand is perfect and absolutely nothing toxic ever happens there whatsoever.

FFS gel, I not saying that, I know it probably wasn't expressed exactly what I thought, but I just disgusted with the whole thing, as I would be if the same thing happened in NZ. I find it infuriating that we who are involved in Aus rugby keep having to cop this shit!!
And I made comment because as I said Brother I was speaking to last night asked me what the f*** was going on in Aus rugby. Perhaps toy can explain how it makes Aus rugby look good. I thought it was shit when Link McKenzie was backstabbed too, I not against these decisions, just how it is played out, and how it portrays Aus (in this case rugby) to the world!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, can you share some of those reports with us please. So far, I really haven't seen any detail at all about the direction they want to take the game in. Some nice motherhood statements like bolstering support for the grass roots, perhaps a more locally focused competition to replace Super, but very little in the way of how these things will be put in place.

Some questions. How much monetary support can RA give to grassroots without sending themselves into bankruptcy? What will the structure of rugby below the Wallabies look like? Is it possible to have a professional level (a la Super) without away games in SA and Argentina? Will NZ cooperate with Aus in such a structure? Will there be a future for the NRC, or similar replacement? Will the Wallabies return to greatness if there is no pathway between club (including a proposed national club championship) and the international game?

I note that you predicted Raelene's demise a week or two ago, just got the timing a little out. So, maybe you have insider information that could address these questions and that you would be willing to share with the rest of us?
Last part first - we aren’t allowed to share sensitive information on here without naming a source. Which is fair enough but I nearly got banned and had all my posts deleted way back during the Di Patson affair. So I just choose not to share the info now and my ARU contact left not long after that anyway. However, in this instance I didn’t have any info and I think my prediction was that she wouldn’t be reappointed at the end of the year.

As for the first part, it is all those small things that you allude to which I’m referring to. Obviously there is a lot of ground to cover to ressurect the game, as you point out, but what I was saying that from what I have read so far this lot seem to broadly have the right intentions, and I haven’t seen anything to the contrary. They went about it completely the wrong way though, but what’s done is done and we have seen the fallout from that with Lynagh distancing himself. I also want to point out again that these blokes aren’t proposing to run the Organisation themselves, they just have ideas which like you I would like to see tabled. A lot of their or similar ideas may lie in the 11 reviews they want made public.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep that I can understand and hence why could understand why NZ been so desparate I guess to keep SA in super rugby then be left with the shit show that is oz rugby in a Trans Tasman competition

I agree RN, and I sure NZ rugby want Aus rugby strong and will work at it, but my point is it a pretty risky outfit to tie in with as your main point of moving forward.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
From an outsiders perspective a group of self-serving, not so great, ex captains have reinforced the view that any senior RA role is a poisoned chalice, especially for anyone not born in Australia. And Phil Kearns a contender for CEO? Really?!

It's good to see Rennie commit to RA following the Castle debacle, but I wonder how effectively he can coach while watching over his shoulder and taking shots from the sidelines.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Genuine question: why a hard pass on James Sutherland? Like KOB, I don’t know much about his tenure at CA. But whoever the next CEO is I want it to be someone ultra experienced in wrangling player power, state alignments, and broadcast deals.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I’m a bit impartial now about the current situation and the involvement of the NFJ 10. Looking at the names, there are people there you don’t want anywhere near the management, but there are also names there who I think could add some valuable input. It should be pointed out that these blokes aren’t pushing to run the joint themselves, they are essentially a lobby group, and in fairness they do collectively hold a fair bit of intel about Australian Rugby. From the reports I’ve read they do seem to be wanting to point the sport in the right direction, the important thing is that the new RA listens to the rugby community - that’s all stakeholders from the Wallabies down to the Guerie Goats, subbies, parents, fans.

I'm starting to lean this way as well.

I'm really disappointed by the way the NFJ 10 have gone about things and what's happened to Castle. But from what I'm reading about how Castle has been treated, I now feel a bit disappointed with the rest of the board as well.

I'm now just wondering if the best way forward is to have some sort of review board as has been suggested, which includes people representing all parties and that everyone agrees will present findings and potential proposals that are in the best interests of the game.

And then leave that for RA to implement, knowing that they have had people they trust on the review board.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Meanwhile - chairman of the board saying no one noteworthy would even touch the gig within 6 months.

that would be largely because of the virus. Anyone in their right mind would want to ensure the organisation is still standing at the end of this, or at least have a picture of what the future remotely looks like. I think Herbert or Wiggs are likely to get the interim role, and then apply when they go looking for the permanent.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Genuine question: why a hard pass on James Sutherland? Like KOB, I don’t know much about his tenure at CA. But whoever the next CEO is I want it to be someone ultra experienced in wrangling player power, state alignments, and broadcast deals.

Where to begin with James Sutherland?

About the 2008-09 season, Australia lost a Test series at home to South Africa for the first time in decades. Very shortly after the defeat, Sutherland was doing the media rounds, waving financial statements in the air and declaring that "this is the best summer for Australian cricket ever!"

A couple of seasons after that, CA appointed Mickey Arthur, the coach of that South African side, to lead the Aussies. It was a good idea. Arthur was a disciplinarian who did his best to change the culture of the Australian team - including the now notorious setting of homework during a tour of India. Well, the players didn't like that very much, and Sutherland folded like a cheap suit. He sacked Arthur and installed Darren Lehmann. That whole experiment ended with sandpapergate in Cape Town.

There's also a story about the women's national side, where they were knocked out of either the Women's World Cup or the T20 World Cup. Sutherland burst into their coach's office: "Don't you know that was the last piece of silverware we had?"

What's even worse is that CA were so impressed by Sutherland that they basically gave him life tenure to lead the organisation - until the review into the Australian team culture was released following sandpapergate and he had no choice but to resign in disgrace.

If you want to change the culture at RA, there probably isn't a worse choice within Australia than that guy.

But, as I'm typing this, a thought occurs. Next time a vacancy comes up for the RA board (not the CEO position) someone should get Mark Taylor to run. He's someone who's universally respected in the cricket world for his playing career, leadership and integrity, and as a former commentator you'd think he'd be savvy about broadcast issues too. They could do a lot worse.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

a59f346b-dde6-4db6-80f7-6483d1b1d0bb-jpeg.11432

Independent Chairman: Alan Jones.
RA rep: Nick Farr-Jones
RA gender tokens: Mrs Kearns, Raelene Gunston.
4 state reps: Phil Kearns (NSFW), Tim H (QLND), George G (ACT), Shiggins (WA)
RUPA rep: Phil Kearns
4 independents: Stephen Moore, George Smith, Poido, Evil Wizard Mortlock, Gregan, Larkham, no fat chicks.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Where to begin with James Sutherland?

About the 2008-09 season, Australia lost a Test series at home to South Africa for the first time in decades. Very shortly after the defeat, Sutherland was doing the media rounds, waving financial statements in the air and declaring that "this is the best summer for Australian cricket ever!"

A couple of seasons after that, CA appointed Mickey Arthur, the coach of that South African side, to lead the Aussies. It was a good idea. Arthur was a disciplinarian who did his best to change the culture of the Australian team - including the now notorious setting of homework during a tour of India. Well, the players didn't like that very much, and Sutherland folded like a cheap suit. He sacked Arthur and installed Darren Lehmann. That whole experiment ended with sandpapergate in Cape Town.

There's also a story about the women's national side, where they were knocked out of either the Women's World Cup or the T20 World Cup. Sutherland burst into their coach's office: "Don't you know that was the last piece of silverware we had?"

What's even worse is that CA were so impressed by Sutherland that they basically gave him life tenure to lead the organisation - until the review into the Australian team culture was released following sandpapergate and he had no choice but to resign in disgrace.

If you want to change the culture at RA, there probably isn't a worse choice within Australia than that guy.

But, as I'm typing this, a thought occurs. Next time a vacancy comes up for the RA board (not the CEO position) someone should get Mark Taylor to run. He's someone who's universally respected in the cricket world for his playing career, leadership and integrity, and as a former commentator you'd think he'd be savvy about broadcast issues too. They could do a lot worse.

Ta. I appreciate the insight!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Tis said that Robert Johnson sold his sold to the devil to learn how to play guitar.

He made only one album and most songs on it are blues classics.

Arguably the most famous because of its title if nothing else is "Crossroad"

With competition from E-games that having grown under the lock-down, combined with the growth in mega sports, i.e. basketball, soccer, baseball & more recently cricket. Remember from the late 1800's to the mid 60's sports like boxing where king... with the heavy weight champion arguably the most famous sports person on the planet at the time.

Into this mix is child safety concerns of many parents, with growing concerns pertaining to head injures and there long term effect.

Australian rugby is at a crossroad to falling down the totem pole a few pegs and struggling to pick up new fans.

We need leadership, that can command respect rather than demand respect, and where connection to business and government are solid and respected.

The answer or last hope to keep our current status is Twiggy .

Over to Robert said to be the father of the blues and the grand father of rock and role. Recorded in the 30's.

Crossroad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The 10 who signed the letter have certainly put themselves as a lobby group as no way any of them would be considered for a governance or management role in rugby.

In principle the 13 man rugby review board sounds sensible but who controls the appointments is where gets interesting. I as per Australian want twiggy involved as yes with his team and GRR have pushed new ideas and this is what rugby needs is new ideas so I would want them involved / represented as they appear more willing to challenge the status quo and that is where we need more of and less of the north shore private school network dreaming of the Shute shield being the centre of the universe and future of rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From an outsiders perspective a group of self-serving, not so great, ex captains have reinforced the view that any senior RA role is a poisoned chalice, especially for anyone not born in Australia. And Phil Kearns a contender for CEO? Really?!

It's good to see Rennie commit to RA following the Castle debacle, but I wonder how effectively he can coach while watching over his shoulder and taking shots from the sidelines.

Well, hopefully Scott Johnson will take care of those wishing to undermine the coach, or at least shield Rennie from the worst of it.