• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sumo Stevenson is reporting that a NZ 5 team home and away Super competition is locked in. Surely that torpedos our hopes of a 2020 TT comp?
Possibly so.

But something that should ALWAYS be remembered is that New Zealand is NOT our friend.

This was easily seen with Tew and it will continue with Robinson. That relationship will swing between enmity and cooperation but, really, it is best described as business.

There is a lot a manoeuvring happening in NZ, some of it bluster, right now.

New Zealand Rugby's plans for the All Blacks and a new competition revealed
1 May, 2020 3:00pm​
NZ Herald​
By: Dylan Cleaver and Liam Napier​
… fundamental work is understood to be taking place in the background that will supersede any short-term solutions for 2020, and trump anything the hastily-formed Aratipu Super Rugby committee might bring to the table.​
One source described Aratipu – described this week as a review to grow, regenerate and invigorate Super Rugby – as a front to buy some time and stall licence renegotiations as the real work was done on reshaping New Zealand's domestic rugby landscape.​
Part of that is … the idea of an eight-team professional round robin competition with two extra New Zealand professional franchises joining the five existing Super teams - and a Pasifika side possibly based in Suva.​
The Herald has learned there is another option gaining traction, which would see that eight-team competition extended to 12 teams with the edition of four - preferably East Coast - Australian franchises or clubs, but that option is dependent on the health of Australian rugby in the post-Covid environment.​
As one source said, it is not New Zealand Rugby's mandate to prop up Australia, so the transtasman neighbours must bring broadcast and commercial dollars to the party …​

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ anyone who thinks NZ can put out seven fully-professional, Super Rugby-standard teams is deluded. The five we've got barely break even in a good year & I don't see how you can possibly slice a smaller cake (current revenues minus NZ's share of what Aus, SA, Argentina & Japan contributed) & at best the same player base seven ways without compromising the quality of the comp.

EDIT: this actually looks very much like one of four options NZR put in front of SkyTV a few years back & asked Sky to rank in terms of what they'd be willing to pay. Guess what? The NZ-only option came fourth & the NZ+PI option only just beat it for third (the other options were NZ+Aus & NZ+Aus+SA: I'll let people speculate which order they finished in :)).

EDIT: the NZ+Aus & NZ+Aus+SA options included the involvement of Japan, and Japan & Argentina, respectively. Apparently they felt that throwing PI into either of those mixes was just making things too complicated.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Possibly so.

But something that should ALWAYS be remembered is that New Zealand is NOT our friend.

This was easily seen with Tew and it will continue with Robinson. That relationship will swing between enmity and cooperation but, really, it is best described as business.

As one source said, it is not New Zealand Rugby's mandate to prop up Australia, so the transtasman neighbours must bring broadcast and commercial dollars to the party …​

how does that make NZ not Aus's friend, or are you only a friend if 'prop up' someone. Do Australia have to 'prop up' any countries to be friendly??
Really cut the sense of entitlement , and think what the difference between 'propping up' and working with huh? That is what I believe is what we need for everyone to do, hell I don't 'prop up' my friends, I certainly work with them to get a good outcome though! Maybe I just a bad friend!!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
@WOB, I think you may be close to the money, hence my "some of it bluster" comment.

But the point remains is they - like anyone, when it boils down - are motivated by self interest.

It's why "good relationship with NZR" commentary, which is fine as it goes, doesn't boil down to much in the end.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ looks like when I get around to writing my thesis on the geography & demography of NZ as it pertains to the future of rugby I may need to c.c. NZR :).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
how does that make NZ not Aus's friend, or are you only a friend if 'prop up' someone. Do Australia have to 'prop up' any countries to be friendly??
Really cut the sense of entitlement
LOL. Not at all.

Do you know what a cargo cult mentality is? Unfortunately it afflicts some rugby viewpoints in this country, waiting for a lazy quick fix to their problems.

Of course there's scope for working together in cooperation with NZR, but ultimately they are unapologetic about that self interest. It's folly to imagine otherwise. That's business.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, I do - all hail the Lions in 2025 and a RWC in 2027: the sky gods will save us.
Yep

Well, RA will need a bit of that magic, to be fair.

Build it and they will come:

93palbU.jpg

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
One source described Aratipu – described this week as a review to grow, regenerate and invigorate Super Rugby – as a front to buy some time and stall licence renegotiations as the real work was done on reshaping New Zealand's domestic rugby landscape.​
Lego-Star-Wars-The-Yoda-Chronicles-Clash-of-the-Skywalkers-alternate-ending-Emperor-Darth-Vader-conga-line.jpg

"Once they fall for our cunning delay ruse it will be too late, BWAH HA HA HAAAA....."

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Really cut the sense of entitlement , and think what the difference between 'propping up' and working with huh? That is what I believe is what we need for everyone to do, hell I don't 'prop up' my friends, I certainly work with them to get a good outcome though! Maybe I just a bad friend!!

Sorry Dan, we can't be friends anymore. We know you don't really care about us.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don’t know where to post this but I reckon we should have a thread voting when they shut down league Comp after starting - I give it a month - as not a code which known for smartest tools in the toolshed
To

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Possibly so.

1 May, 2020 3:00pm​
NZ Herald​
By: Dylan Cleaver and Liam Napier​
… fundamental work is understood to be taking place in the background that will supersede any short-term solutions for 2020, and trump anything the hastily-formed Aratipu Super Rugby committee might bring to the table.​
One source described Aratipu – described this week as a review to grow, regenerate and invigorate Super Rugby – as a front to buy some time and stall licence renegotiations as the real work was done on reshaping New Zealand's domestic rugby landscape.
Part of that is … the idea of an eight-team professional round robin competition with two extra New Zealand professional franchises joining the five existing Super teams - and a Pasifika side possibly based in Suva.​
The Herald has learned there is another option gaining traction, which would see that eight-team competition extended to 12 teams with the edition of four - preferably East Coast - Australian franchises or clubs, but that option is dependent on the health of Australian rugby in the post-Covid environment.​

Ha! I knew there was something fishy about that announcement.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Suspect both Australia and New Zealand would really, really struggle without each other. It is in neither's best interest to see the other fall over. From a viewer point of view, is there anything a New Zealander or an Australian loves more than getting one over on each other? Watching England get demolished would have to be a close second....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don’t know where to post this but I reckon we should have a thread voting when they shut down league Comp after starting - I give it a month - as not a code which known for smartest tools in the toolshed
To

Still guarantee it'll happen at all:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...milliondollar-discount-for-resumed-nrl-season

TLDR: Nein & Faux only want to pay for a 17-week comp, not 20.

EDIT: & as of last night the players hadn't signed off on the 20% pay cut V'landys wants them to take (TBF the sticking point isn't the money per se, there's some issues around how the Warriors & their families get on relocating to Straya for 20 weeks & the other players have said they won't sign until those issues are sorted).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I certainly don't have an issue with it and agree it demonstrates dignity and professionalism. My point of contention is that pretty much anyone in the same situation would have done the same thing. It's a bit like giving Rennie a plug for not selecting KB (Kurtley Beale) in his initial virtual squad.

Its just another bad example to use to take cheap shots at her detractors is all.

I’m sorry Castles detractors felt offended by me paying a complement to her, but I will give credit where I think it’s deserved even if it offends some people.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Suspect both Australia and New Zealand would really, really struggle without each other. It is in neither's best interest to see the other fall over. From a viewer point of view, is there anything a New Zealander or an Australian loves more than getting one over on each other? Watching England get demolished would have to be a close second..

Yes we keep hearing this. Unfortunately NZ shows no willingness for a comp that has any hope in Aus. It’s time to get past precepts that are anchored in Super

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes we keep hearing this. Unfortunately NZ shows no willingness for a comp that has any hope in Aus. It’s time to get past precepts that are anchored in Super

Geez you talk some rubbish at time dru, aren't Hooper, To'omua etc meeting with NZ players on Zoom this week to work through their ideas of comps going forward?? You really got to stop this everyone against us mentality man!!