• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The last page of this thread.........

ConcernedUnhappyKagu-size_restricted.gif

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ummm, can we perhaps have some sources quoted that aren’t the notoriously bitter - and notoriously biased - direct decades-long competitors to News Corp in all things? Anyone who thinks Nine/Fairfax and News Corp write fairly and objectively about each other is...a little out of date, or experience. They detest each other and love nothing more than composing take-downs of the other’s alleged sins and delinquencies. Almost an Australian sport in its own right, the journos on other side can tell you.

Congratulations, you've just demonstrated the point. All news organisations have an agenda to push. News Corp wanted to dig the knife into RA and certain executive members.

The articles I sent through highlight the Murdoch's have played nasty in the past and continue to do so. Rupert entrusted his pet project in Fox News to Roger Ailes, an absolute despicable human being.

So believing Rupert, Lachlan or the people they have running their news arms don't delibaretly bring the argument down to pettiness is absolutely untrue. Hell, if you can't even acknowledge that they have called the hounds off now they got their way, how can you even begin to call our the otherside for their agenda?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Your inability to critically read between the lines of News’ coverage of a topic they have a vested interest in is only matched by your inability to read Barbarians request to drop the matter.

Actually I can read very critically and can form views about coverage. It's just that my views are different from yours.

In terms of my alleged inability to read Barbarian's request, well I'm not sure how the system works for you but when I get home from work and open G&GR I have alerts which take me to people who have responded to my posts. So I responded to Wamberal's post and then sequentially worked through the thread so I didn't actually see his post until I had posted responses to others.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You seem incapable of thinking in anything other than binaries. Yep RA is in a deep hole through a long period of terrible mismanagement. We all agree and I have a -sneaking- suspicion, possibly through your endless essays, that you feel the same. But if at the same time you don’t believe that a media organisation is capable of leveraging its power and influence to gain itself a better deal, well there’s just not much more anyone can do to help you. Might be time for all of us to take Barbarians advice on board.

Better deal from whom? The head of Optus has twice stated publicly that they were never close to even deciding that they wanted to broadcast rugby let alone making an offer to RA. Not one FTA network came forward in between the time Fox withdrew from negotiations. Not one FTA network offered to televise Super Rugby AU. Who exactly is Foxtel's rival to broadcast Super Rugby in Australia. Maybe, just maybe the original $57/year offer from Foxtel is as good (or better) than it's ever going to get. News didn't need to force the price down, the market has done it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
None of this seems relevant to the fact that Halloran was throwing shade and has since stopped...

Because there's no news to write about anymore? And it's now left to the ordinary journos on the rugby beat?

A major sport on the verge of bankruptcy with boardroom dysfunction and chaos, with CEO's sacked, new chairman walking out, no broadcast deal is actually newsworthy. It's beyond the journos on the rugby beat because they're often too close to the people involved so someone higher up the chain does the work.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, I can imagine Rupert sitting at home in his grand apartment overlooking Central Park in New York following every detail of the rights to broadcast rugby in Australia. I can see how a man with an estimated wealth of $7.5 billion would consider the rights to broadcast Australian rugby an absolute essential.

Not so long ago the same people on these threads who are now accusing Halloran of a Machiavellian plot to destroy Australian rugby were accusing Fairfax and Georgina Robinson of exactly the same thing. A touch of misogyny perhaps? Rugby types on these threads can't stand females pointing out their deficiencies?

Interestingly these same people are hanging off every word of Wayne Smith, who is apparently a great and insightful rugby journalist offering an unending positive spin on all things rugby in Australia. But hang on Smith works for The Australian which is part of the evil Murdoch empire.

How is it that Murdoch allows Smith to write an avalanche of positivity on the Australian rugby in the News Ltd press? Or is that really that dear old Rupert couldn't care less about RA, and it received negative stories because of its own hopeless administration and performance?

QH, I can see that RM might not be all that interested in the detail of RA and rugby in this country, but I'm bloody sure he keeps a close watch on Foxtel. I can imagine at his periodic management meetings Foxtel would be a standing agenda item and even if it only gets a couple of minutes discussion, enough would be said for the line manager concerned to interpret what RM sees to be in the best interests of RM. The message would probably get exaggerated on the way down to the minions, but it would be known what RM's view are.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am stunned to learn that Uncle Rupert is actually a champion of a free press, and that his whole media Empire exists purely for the purpose of authentic journalism. No bias, no political shenanigans, just good old honest news coverage. No top down editorial directives, no motivation other than the public good.

When was this announced?

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
yes News Ltd was printing plenty of negative stories but it should be acknowledged they were mostly based on leaks from within the RA boardroom.
It is laughable that Halloran is singled out for criticism, she was only printing what she’d been fed. We should be more critical of the mugs around the board table at that time: but that’s too hard a task for some.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yes News Ltd was printing plenty of negative stories but it should be acknowledged they were mostly based on leaks from within the RA boardroom.
It is laughable that Halloran is singled out for criticism, she was only printing what she’d been fed. We should be more critical of the mugs around the board table at that time: but that’s too hard a task for some.
Rumour has it that her links were with someone pretty high up at RUPA, not the RA boardroom

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It is laughable that Halloran is singled out for criticism, she was only printing what she’d been fed. We should be more critical of the mugs around the board table at that time: but that’s too hard a task for literally no one who has ever posted on these forums
Not a single person on these forums thinks the board has performed well. Thinking News Corp and RA are both steaming piles is a consistent position.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
A question for those with their heads buried in the sand.

If Rupert Murcdoch drops dead tommorrow (he is after all 89 years old).

Does it all of a sudden become fair weather sailing for Rugby Australia?

Also does anyone know if Raylene Castle was considered for the NRL CEO role or is she being considered for the Cricket Australia CEO role?

If it is irrelevant to Rugby Australia if Rupert Murdoch is alive or dead can we stop talking about him?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Also does anyone know if Raylene Castle was considered for the NRL CEO role or is she being considered for the Cricket Australia CEO role?

o_O

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

If it is irrelevant to Rugby Australia if Rupert Murdoch is alive or dead can we stop talking about him?
AA5B2B99-A2A2-4CB3-A70F-90D004B702AE.jpeg

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Not a single person on these forums thinks the board has performed well. Thinking News Corp and RA are both steaming piles is a consistent position.

Yep. Some of us can walk and chew gum and the same time. Others seemingly struggle with that.

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No need to get all righteous, it was intended in good humour. I think Kenny knows I’m on his side of the fence.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No need to get all righteous, it was intended in good humour. I think Kenny knows I’m on his side of the fence.

KOB, I (usually) like your thoughts. But no, I’m not being righteous. Just reacting to sanctimony. It was unnecessary and a meme that is well over-played. It’s also way old. Time to freshen up?