• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Rugby Australia are looking to get private equity involved in the game and have been talking to interested parties, including apparently Twiggy Forrest. McLennan is hoping to use the funds as a carrot to reform the constitution with the states and introduce a structure similar to the AFL commission.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/0ff2b42cc2636120a0e59a829c9d34d6

I wonder if the constitutional reform will be part of it. The voting structure definitely needs a rethink, it shouldn't be equal votes for every state though, a fluid pro rata arrangement based on the number of registered participants would be the fairest.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if the constitutional reform will be part of it. The voting structure definitely needs a rethink, it shouldn't be equal votes for every state though, a fluid pro rata arrangement based on the number of registered participants would be the fairest.
I don’t think that will wash with any of the other parties. A system like that will change absolutely nothing and continue the current mess where people throw their weight around for their own gain at the expense of others. Equal votes means that one party will never dominate.

We have already started to see a shift with QLD towards other states away from NSW in the last couple of years because of the political shambles at the pro and club level there. It’s prob no surprise the future of these unions look a lot more clear since they seem to be heading in the same path and NSW well....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have already started to see a shift with QLD towards other states away from NSW in the last couple of years because of the political shambles at the pro and club level there. It’s prob no surprise the future of these unions look a lot more clear since they seem to be heading in the same path and NSW well..

The shambles at the Shute Shield level? Really? AFAIK it is still the strongest club competition in the nation. Am I missing something?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don’t think that will wash with any of the other parties. A system like that will change absolutely nothing and continue the current mess where people throw their weight around for their own gain at the expense of others. Equal votes means that one party will never dominate.

We have already started to see a shift with QLD towards other states away from NSW in the last couple of years because of the political shambles at the pro and club level there. It’s prob no surprise the future of these unions look a lot more clear since they seem to be heading in the same path and NSW well..

OK maybe a state vote and then a franchise vote, but you can't have a situation where say SA has the same voting power as Qld or NSW. Number of registered participants is still the fairest.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

There’s equal votes in parliament, that doesn’t stop one party from dominating.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There’s equal votes in parliament, that doesn’t stop one party from dominating.
Actually at parliamentary level a region of 40,000 people has the same vote as an area of 400,000. It’s also democratic in that the people in those areas get to choose who represents them.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The shambles at the Shute Shield level? Really? AFAIK it is still the strongest club competition in the nation. Am I missing something?
The US is the strongest country in the world, does it mean it’s the best run?

The SS is an amazing competition but the consistent undermining of any structures in Aus that would have a positive flow on effect to other areas is undeniably true. That includes with NSW itself where there is almost as much distaste for SS leadership than there is for NSWRU leadership by any subbies, country or well basically any club outside the chosen few.

As I have said on these forums, I’m not sure anyone in the parties creating public discontent actually knows what they are angry about other than been learned behavior over a number of years. Going back to US politics there is a lot of ‘drain the swamp’ about the behavior and supporting a cause without been able to clarify what they are actually supporting. Dare I say they are the Trump supporters of Aus Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Actually at parliamentary level a region of 40,000 people has the same vote as an area of 400,000. It’s also democratic in that the people in those areas get to choose who represents them.

I think you missed my point.

The above doesn’t stop one party from dominating.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Even the AFL Commission is still weighted towards Victoria, even if all the other teams voted as a bloc they’re still a minority compared to Victorian teams.

Problem with a rugby commission based on Super Rugby clubs, is that too few of votes leads to the power residing with minority as a tie-breaker. You need critical mass of voters for any voting system to work effectively.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you missed my point.

The above doesn’t stop one party from dominating.
No I got your point, it’s just not how democratic systems work. You can still get coalition’s and in recent years that seems to be drifting towards NSW vs the rest.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No I got your point, it’s just not how democratic systems work. You can still get coalition’s and in recent years that seems to be drifting towards NSW vs the rest.

I don’t see how a dominant coalition party against NSW, is better then what exists now.

It doesn’t fix the problem, just shifts the burden of the outcome.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Club Championship might be a indicator if it were played in the same season the teams won, but it’s somewhat of a token trophy as it’s played the following year in pre-season with new players and coaches in the team.

I do hope that changes going forward now that the NRC is scrapped.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Club Championship might be a indicator if it were played in the same season the teams won, but it’s somewhat of a token trophy as it’s played the following year in pre-season with new players and coaches in the team.

I do hope that changes going forward now that the NRC is scrapped.

They could look at doing it in September as a 16 team straight knock out competition.

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
Change of topic and I’m not sure it’s the right thread but how the hell did Nathan Grey end up as the junior wallabies coach ? What a disaster

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Change of topic and I’m not sure it’s the right thread but how the hell did Nathan Grey end up as the junior wallabies coach ? What a disaster
1. he's a good coach
2. perhaps he's already on a full time contract from RA and therefore saves money having to hire someone else.
3. Defense strategies have evolved since his time with the wallabies.