• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RN is right imo. We need to get away from the situation that has prevailed for many years, of playing the ABs 3 and 4 times a year. A World League or Cup, whatever, could and should allow that to be avoided. Interest at the National level will prosper with more variety in the games and hopefully with a few more wins to the Wallabies.

At a lower level, any move to establish club rugby as the feeder to the Super teams and test team is doomed to fail, I believe. The chasm between clubs and Super is much too wide. We desperately need another national semi-professional/professional level like the NRC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
RN is right imo. We need to get away from the situation that has prevailed for many years, of playing the ABs 3 and 4 times a year. A World League or Cup, whatever, could and should allow that to be avoided. Interest at the National level will prosper with more variety in the games and hopefully with a few more wins to the Wallabies.

At a lower level, any move to establish club rugby as the feeder to the Super teams and test team is doomed to fail, I believe. The chasm between clubs and Super is much too wide. We desperately need another national semi-professional/professional level like the NRC.

Yep agree that if we end up as amateur clubs as main feeder to super rugby teams we are indeed doomed to failure. We need an equivalent mitre 10 type level but alas yes NRC tried to create that and failed. A NRC mark 2 with private equity investment and broadcaster support is the ideal.

With the jump in rugby witnessed this year in viewership and registrations private equity will be seeing how just small targeted strategic investment can make a difference so I suspect more likely this is leading to increased private investor scrutiny and due diligence.

I for one gutted world league fell through as opportunity to tap into world product with high viewership and hence why RA and NZRU were equally gutted as NH already have financially strong domestic pro competitions and hence less dependant or in need as much as SH countries are.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep agree that if we end up as amateur clubs as main feeder to super rugby teams we are indeed doomed to failure.

I don't know that it is as easy as that. With respect to NSW SRU has to be brought to the party as a willing participant. If they are happy having a rep system pulling out of the SRU clubs then that is great. But there has been no indication of any great interest and a heap of complaint about the lack of history and tribalism.

Whatever the solution, SRU must be on board the train.

I can see a situation with the top 2 or 3 Shute Shield teams going into a "super" club comp. But I don't see Qld agreeing to that sort of format when rep teams City and Country have worked so well. And I certainly don't see Canberra, Perth and Melbourne being competitive with there top local club.

While talent in clubland can and would be bolstered by the non International S Au players, the whole thing looks messy. Even with funding.

Sort out what the SRU wants, if not that, what they are prepared to back. Do that first. Then see what can be done.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't know that it is as easy as that. With respect to NSW SRU has to be brought to the party as a willing participant. If they are happy having a rep system pulling out of the SRU clubs then that is great. But there has been no indication of any great interest and a heap of complaint about the lack of history and tribalism.

Whatever the solution, SRU must be on board the train.

I can see a situation with the top 2 or 3 Shute Shield teams going into a "super" club comp. But I don't see Qld agreeing to that sort of format when rep teams City and Country have worked so well. And I certainly don't see Canberra, Perth and Melbourne being competitive with there top local club.

While talent in clubland can and would be bolstered by the non International S Au players, the whole thing looks messy. Even with funding.

Sort out what the SRU wants, if not that, what they are prepared to back. Do that first. Then see what can be done.

The best possible solution I can find is for the franchises to get together and set up a Academy league. For both U20s and Opens. Both NSW and Qld can run two squads. While the other 3 could run one a piece. Run either during the Super Rugby Au season or post club season.

Below this in the U16-18s NSW should look to run its own version of the Junior Gold Cup. With 4 regional centres in Sydney and one from Hunter, Central Coast, Illawarra, Central West. Focusing on talent identification and development. Both in terms of skills, physically including diet and nutrition. Squads formed in the back end of each year with the Tahs Academy league to kick off in say June. Could even approach the ACT about getting on board to provide more competition. The academy will look to draw from club and schools rugby.

The goal would be for the kids involved at this level to form the core of the future Tahs U20s squad and beyond. Once they age out of the junior section they can choose whichever club they wish to play but will remain part of a broader monitoring program. Which would provide them with programs to continue to development.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just don't agree with the various statements claiming the NRC was a failure. From the perspectives of QLD, ACT, Vic , WA and Fiji, I reckon it had been almost a raging success. Again NSW are the odd men out. Best solution I believe would be to build on what the NRC had become. Despite some claims that the NRC was costly, it was mostly funded by the teams themselves together with Fox. If we are anticipating the dawning of a new era of prosperity in Australian rugby, it would certainly be a wise investment imo for RA to throw some funding into the NRC too.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just don't agree with the various statements claiming the NRC was a failure. From the perspectives of QLD, ACT, Vic , WA and Fiji, I reckon it had been almost a raging success. Again NSW are the odd men out. Best solution I believe would be to build on what the NRC had become. Despite some claims that the NRC was costly, it was mostly funded by the teams themselves together with Fox. If we are anticipating the dawning of a new era of prosperity in Australian rugby, it would certainly be a wise investment imo for RA to throw some funding into the NRC too.

It was a failure from a viewership perspective. I think it was very successful at bringing through some talent.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Bring back the ARC at least those teams had some sort of geographic alignment. Would’ve been far more successful imo if it were given a similar run to what the NRC had

Also agree NRC overall was great for development, NSW butchered their involvement

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bring back the ARC at least those teams had some sort of geographic alignment. Would’ve been far more successful imo if it were given a similar run to what the NRC had

Also agree NRC overall was great for development, NSW butchered their involvement

Send, you show a very Sydney-centric view of NRC. In Melbourne, Canberra, Perth and Qld there was clear geographic alignment.

NRC was held back by Sydney though. Time you guys sorted your shit out.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Send, you show a very Sydney-centric view of NRC. In Melbourne, Canberra, Perth and Qld there was clear geographic alignment.

NRC was held back by Sydney though. Time you guys sorted your shit out.

Well 3 of those teams it’s pretty fucking easy, one team towns and essentially the same from ARC to NRC

QLD may have “clear geographic alignment” with city and country but the numbers across multiple sports are that the city v country rivalry ain’t what it used to be

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It was a failure from a viewership perspective. I think it was very successful at bringing through some talent.
This. It was entertaining enough to watch, and no doubt furthered some talent, but I struggled to feel invested in any team, so for me it never really mattered who won.
Not saying a similar model is a bad thing, but I know a lot of rugby watchers who didn't really watch it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well 3 of those teams it’s pretty fucking easy, one team towns and essentially the same from ARC to NRC

QLD may have “clear geographic alignment” with city and country but the numbers across multiple sports are that the city v country rivalry ain’t what it used to be

Yes send, it is easy. Doesn't stopSydney having issues. So back to the nub. Sydney need to sort it's shit out. Then the game goes forward.

Or Sydney does not sort it's shit out, everyone else travels forward and we'll be having the same inane conversations.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Perhaps a hybrid solution is possible with regards to NRC. I could cop having a 12/14 week NRC at the end of the club season with some of the teams ARU owned/funded like WF, QLD Country, Melbourne rising, NSW country, but also inviting high quality clubs to participate like Easts (bris), Uni QLD, Syd Uni.

This would solve part of the problem of Sydney being openly hostile to the NRC. Simple rule allowing top 3/4 clubs each year to qualify for the comp with ARU covered expenses for participating. Might even get some community interest in it too

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
The best possible solution I can find is for the franchises to get together and set up a Academy league. For both U20s and Opens. Both NSW and Qld can run two squads. While the other 3 could run one a piece. Run either during the Super Rugby Au season or post club season.

Agreed with this. I have no idea why the Super Teams aren't running an A-level comp right now with all their squad players + academy/club stars. It's such a waste to have all these players in the squad with no opportunity to prove themselves.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I think I have an idea why - someone has to pay for it.

Would it cost that much more? When Waratahs and Brumbies play each other the A team players could bus in instead of flying to save costs. Are flights between cities on the east coast that expensive? The Reds sponsor charters them a plane so no additional costs for the A team and I'm sure Twiggy would pay for the Force A. Doesn't have to be for every game, for instance Reds and Force could only do it for away games?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Would it cost that much more? When Waratahs and Brumbies play each other the A team players could bus in instead of flying to save costs. Are flights between cities on the east coast that expensive? The Reds sponsor charters them a plane so no additional costs for the A team and I'm sure Twiggy would pay for the Force A. Doesn't have to be for every game, for instance Reds and Force could only do it for away games?
Brumbies and Tahs don’t fly between Sydney and Canberra

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why not bring back the Ricoh Cup? Just have the Super teams play each other a few more times, sans Wallabies. After the club season, take it to regional and suburban locations.

It keeps the brand recognition, allows future stars to cut their teeth with good rugby and uses existing coaches, training facilities, physios etc.

It might dilute traditional rivalries a bit, because the Reds vs Tahs won't really be the same of the Reds are missing 14 players and the Waratahs are without Angus Bell.

But I think it might be the least worst option.