• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From what we know of Andrew Forrest, he wouldn't provide $1 unless there were agreed changes to structure and governance.

As none have been announced or voted on by the member unions then I reckon that you can rule out Forrest.

Suggest that it's more like junk bonds (bridging finance) as RA have convinced holders that private equity is at an advanced stage of discussions.

Seems very friendly between twiggy, marinos and Hamish If media to be believed. Hamish previously indicated open to such changes so we will see. Private equity investment interest is real but how advanced deal negotiations are is another matter.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree with that. I just think it's a reality that a fair chunk of the headcount will have to come back.

What COVID has done though in forcing such a big reduction in staff numbers is given RA a chance to reorganise how the various teams and roles fit together within the organisation.
We are in furious agreement that the headcount must go up.

im certain they can rebuild it from the ashes,in a more productive form, than had evolved over time previously.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems very friendly between twiggy, marinos and Hamish If media to be believed. Hamish previously indicated open to such changes so we will see. Private equity investment interest is real but how advanced deal negotiations are is another matter.

Therein lies your problem....."IF the media is to believed".

Notes to self:
  1. Ongoing dialogue does not necessarily mean "friendly".
  2. Hamish may be interested in lots of things but he needs approval from the member Unions to implement any changes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Therein lies your problem..."IF the media is toat believed".

Notes to self:
  1. Ongoing dialogue does not necessarily mean "friendly".
  2. Hamish may be interested in lots of things but he needs approval from the member Unions to implement any changes.
On 1. at least Twiggy has publicly had nice things to say about Hamish (respectful) as opposed to previous executive management and just because I don't see RA and Twiggy as new found best friends anytime soon does not mean if interests align a deal can't be struck and on 2. Yep but member unions also have had their arse kicked by COVID so when it comes to cheque books for PE investment I think they are going to be more open to listening then in the past. Nothing certain on the latter but their power to huff and puff a little diminished given state of rugby finances. I certainly don't discount for reasons you allude to that this could put Silver Lake in the box seat. But a Twiggy prepared to invest may be seen as more palatable by member unions to his demands. Idle keyboard warrior speculation as I don't have a clue or any inside info on this......

I personally think more likely Silver Lake may end up being PE investor personally we end up striking a deal with.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees been a while since there has been so much positivity towards Australian rugby on these threads..next litmus test will be trans Tasman and tests against France..hopefully the positivity continues on the current upward curve

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure where to put this. We keep discussing about grassroots etc and keeping players in game. Well NZ have an U85Kgs comp, countrywide, I wonder if it worth looking at same in OZ, kind of keeps players in game that can't or won't handle the knocks against the big buggers we have running round. Something like about 44-5 teams play around country, play a countrywide comp, and something similar in Oz could help to get or keep players in game. Working under the more in the game the better system I think.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not sure where to put this. We keep discussing about grassroots etc and keeping players in game. Well NZ have an U85Kgs comp, countrywide, I wonder if it worth looking at same in OZ, kind of keeps players in game that can't or won't handle the knocks against the big buggers we have running round. Something like about 44-5 teams play around country, play a countrywide comp, and something similar in Oz could help to get or keep players in game. Working under the more in the game the better system I think.
I'm sure this has been raised at the top levels of admin in the past. I'd be interested to see why it hasn't been acted on. Perhaps I'm thinking of junior weight divisions though.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
ha! love the bit about why RA has no money.
The sad thing about Folau is that RA are paying his $5mill payout in monthly instalments. It just bleeds the game dry.
jeez Castle and Folau both have some serious questions to answer here as rugby lost...

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
ha! love the bit about why RA has no money.
The sad thing about Folau is that RA are paying his $5mill payout in monthly instalments. It just bleeds the game dry.
jeez Castle and Folau both have some serious questions to answer here as rugby lost.

Would have been so simple to just not select him every again but RA had to grand stand about it, even Cheika said at the time that he would find it hard to put in his side

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The public response if Israel Folau wasn't offered another contract after the first indiscretion on the basis of Rugby Australia saying it was too big a risk would have been unbelievably hostile.

I don't believe that was ever realistic.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
....and it's full time with the Wallabies going down to the All Blacks 32 to 12. And like the chocolates they're named after, the Wallabies played like a bunch of Flakes today.